Permanent 50mph limit around Newport

Just a heads up for those Arrsers who travel along the M4 around Newport. The cameras are live between the Coldra and Tredegar Park. Also, the GoSafe camera vans are parking on the M48 between Chepstow and the M4 junction as well.

Daz

LE

Just a heads up for those Arrsers who travel along the M4 around Newport. The cameras are live between the Coldra and Tredegar Park. Also, the GoSafe camera vans are parking on the M48 between Chepstow and the M4 junction as well.
Another good reason not to go anywhere near Newport

I'm in Newport two or three times a week, thanks for the warning.

Thanks. Saw the signs last Sunday re average speed check and the cameras on the gantry’s. Interesting to see what they do with the below? A warning?
The cameras will be operational and the mandatory 50mph speed limit will be monitored closely by Go Safe during the bedding-in period. It will allow for full systems and enforcement checks to take place and give motorists time to get used to the new speed limit. Notices of prosecution will then begin to be issued in the summer.

Daz

LE

Daz

LE
It is at the end of the last century when I regularly met with people from the Dept of Transport to discuss the road network. At the time several of the DTp/ HA (whatever they were called then) expressed a desire to make the maximum speed limit on all non-motorway roads 50 mph. The usual reasons were cited - less pollution and less accidents.

There is some merit in their argument as you really don't save much time on most journeys if you go like hell or if you drive within the law. Try it if you don't believe me.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
I had to go there to get a new passport. I have no desire to repeat the experience.
You really should need one to get in nowadays.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
It is at the end of the last century when I regularly met with people from the Dept of Transport to discuss the road network. At the time several of the DTp/ HA (whatever they were called then) expressed a desire to make the maximum speed limit on all non-motorway roads 50 mph. The usual reasons were cited - less pollution and less accidents.

There is some merit in their argument as you really don't save much time on most journeys if you go like hell or if you drive within the law. Try it if you don't believe me.
Nah, sound boring.

I'm kind of stuck.
I tend to shop locally though so no need to enter the Cursed Earth that is Zooport other than when in work. Although if I want to travel anywhere nice such as Cornwall, I have to negotiate numerous scamera vans and average speed limit areas before I get to the M4 at Tredegar Park. As soon as I'm over the bridge I can breathe easy.

I'm kind of stuck.
I tend to shop locally though so no need to enter the Cursed Earth that is Zooport other than when in work. Although if I want to travel anywhere nice such as Cornwall, I have to negotiate numerous scamera vans and average speed limit areas before I get to the M4 at Tredegar Park. As soon as I'm over the bridge I can breathe easy.
Until Bristol

I still like visiting the suspension bridge. A walk over the top is erm bracing
20190418_111832_IMG_5333.JPG

Latest Threads