Perhaps Israel Was Readying an Air Strike?

BBC Report
US report plays down Iran threat
Iran appears "less determined" to develop nuclear weapons than previously thought, US intelligence officials say.
Not like the Americans to 'play down' the situation.

There is obviously something going on behind the scenes we are not yet privvy too.

geezer466 said:
BBC Report
US report plays down Iran threat
Iran appears "less determined" to develop nuclear weapons than previously thought, US intelligence officials say.
Not like the Americans to 'play down' the situation.

There is obviously something going on behind the scenes we are not yet privvy too.
They have probably decided to better spend their energies dealing with Pakistan's real nukes rather than Iran's hypothetical ones.

I agree Geezer..
I watched the 6.00pm News and Iran are still making Uranium but the Americans are saying it could be for peaceful purposes...
Some soft words to play down the whole situation me thinks.....
some behind the scenes talks going on....
Mind you ..Ahmadinejad the Iranian president is mad as a barking fish....

so the spams of gone from DEFCON War Footing to yawn, yea chill, no worries? fight no not us gov'ner. must be them over there

ermm ok then, who are you trying to fool? The Iranians (plausable) but not sure

The_Rattler said:
so the spams of gone from DEFCON War Footing to yawn, yea chill, no worries? fight no not us gov'ner. must be them over there

ermm ok then, who are you trying to fool? The Iranians (plausable) but not sure
Maybe they discovered that the Iranians were only secretly producing Nike material for footwear, not Nuke material for warfare.

I'm going to venture a guess that Iran conceded to something that we are unaware of and this is the US ratcheting down the war rhetoric.

This is definitely a perplexing move with questionable motives.

Maybe it's related to the ongoing Palestine talks?

Got to admit, this one took me completely by surprise. Pretty much the LAST thing I expected to hear while The Shaved Chimp(apologies to Chimpanzee's)was still in power. 8O

Tinfoil Hat time: far more to this than we are being told... :?

Rumpelstiltskin said:
Maybe it's related to the ongoing Palestine talks?
Pretty much exactly what I was thinking. If the US were to attack Iran, let alone if Israel participated, then a large section of the Middle East is going to get the hump big time and they can say goodbye to their new Palestinian-Israel peace talks. This way they get out of having to make a decision about striking Iran and leave it for the next administration whomever that might be.

I'd rather the Israelies got the Iran job personally - less chance of it being fcuked up by some gungho tw@t who thought Top Gun was a training aide!

WilieCayote wrote

Ahmadinejad the Iranian president is mad as a barking fish....

Now let me see Blair .... Brown .... Bush .... em not a lot to choose between them really

For all the money the Yanks spend on intelligence, historically speaking, their eyes have rarely been on the ball when it comes to WMDs.

India and Pakistan are named in the Haaretz article. Israel's nuke program under French assistance was also missed. So was the state of progress of Iraq's in Gulf War II. North Korea's nuclear programme right under the nose of US aid from President Clinton too. Russian theft of nuclear secrets from sympathetic US scientists during the Cold War; only recently have the scientists been brought to justice.

My memory of history doesn't go so far back but it would be interesting to know about how the US reacted to nukes appearing in USSR, China and South Africa, or chemical/biological weapons by Nazi Germany and Imperial Japan.

CNN: Seymour Hersh 'vindicated' by new Iran intel estimate
David Edwards and Muriel Kane
Published: Wednesday December 5, 2007

Reporter believes Cheney 'kept his foot on the neck of' report

A new National Intelligence Estimate released on Monday indicates that 16 US intelligence agencies have concluded with a high level of confidence that Iran has not had an active nuclear weapons program since 2003 and that even if it resumed weapons development, it would be unlikely to obtain a nuclear bomb in less than 5 to 10 years.

The NIE apparently came as a surprise to President Bush, who insisted at a news conference the next day that "I was made aware of the NIE last week. In August, I think it was, John – Mike McConnell – came in and said, 'We have some new information.' He didn't tell me what the information was. He did tell me it was going to take a while to analyze."
http://rawstory.com/news/2007/CNN_Seymour_Hersh_vindicated_by_new_1205.html

To me it seems that there's some kind of internal struggle amongst the Americans. On one side there's Bush, that was pushing for an attack on Iran in the same way that he did for Iraq, with the supposed Iranian nuclear threat acting as the Iraqi WMD did. On the other side, there's Congress and maybe the intelligence community, who don't want to be dragged in a repetition of Iraq, and have made it clear and public that there are no Iranian nukes nor plans to make such. Bush still persists with his arguments that Iran is dangerous, so it seems that his plan has been cut short by whoever released this information about the Iranian nuclear plans.

mr.fawlty said:
To me it seems that there's some kind of internal struggle amongst the Americans. On one side there's Bush, that was pushing for an attack on Iran in the same way that he did for Iraq, with the supposed Iranian nuclear threat acting as the Iraqi WMD did. On the other side, there's Congress and maybe the intelligence community, who don't want to be dragged in a repetition of Iraq, and have made it clear and puplic that there are no Iranian nukes nor plans to make such. Bush still persists with his arguments that Iran is dangerous, so it seems that his plan has been cut short by whoever released this information about the Iranian nuclear plans.
Yes but doesn't it just reveal the true colours of the neo con higher command? They are constantly after starting a war - whether there is a need for one or not.
Such men are a threat to world peace and deserve to be in gaol awaiting the gallows.

You tell 'em John boy. Always did wonder what Johnny Bolton got up to after he'd left Village People. (someone ought to tell him the props dept. want the tash back)
And for fans of the N-pod - he has been having 'dark suspicions.' Are there any other kind?

Neocons believe US intelligence community too timid after IraqDavid Edwards and Jason Rhyne

Following its botched reports about Iraq's weapons capabilities, the US intelligence community is now too gun-shy to get it right about Iran, according to some hawkish conservatives who have advocated possible military intervention against the country.

Newly declassified portions of a new National Intelligence Estimate -- which indicates that Iran no longer actively developing a nuclear weapon -- are part of an effort by the US intelligence community to avoid a repeat of its mistakes in the run-up to war with Iraq, former US ambassador to the United Nations John Bolton told Fox News.

"They're so concerned about overstating the threat in Iraq, that they're overcompensating in the wrong direction," Bolton said. "You know they've changed their estimate on Iran from just two years ago. One has to ask why we should be more inclined to believe this one today than the one two years ago." A 2005 NIE reported Iran was "determined" develop nuclear capability.

Bolton characterized the White House as having been taken aback by the new NIE report's conclusions.

"I think they were floored by it, since it's inconsistent with what the intelligence community was telling them as recently as a week ago," he said. "In fact, members of the House and Senate were briefed on this last week, and there was no mention of the suspension point. So, I think there are some questions that need to be raised about how this thing was put together and what its conclusions are."

He also contends that there is that there is a whiff of politics to the NIE summary.

"I think there is a risk here, and I raise this as a question, whether people in the intelligence community who had their own agenda on Iran for some time now, have politicized this intelligence and politicized these judgments in a way contrary to where the administration was going," said Bolton. "I think somebody needs to look at that."

Neoconservative columnist Norman Podhoretz also has "dark suspicions" about the new report, and suggests that the intelligence community's current beliefs about Iran amount to a calculated reverse image of it's determinations about Iraq.

"I must confess to suspecting that the intelligence community, having been excoriated for supporting the then universal belief that Saddam had weapons of mass destruction, is now bending over backward to counter what has up to now been a similarly universal view...that Iran is hell-bent on developing nuclear weapons," writes Podhoretz in a Commentary Magazine column published Monday. "I also suspect that, having been excoriated as well for minimizing the time it would take Saddam to add nuclear weapons to his arsenal, the intelligence community is now bending over backward to maximize the time it will take Iran to reach the same goal."
RawStory.com

mr.fawlty said:
To me it seems that there's some kind of internal struggle amongst the Americans. On one side there's Bush, that was pushing for an attack on Iran in the same way that he did for Iraq, with the supposed Iranian nuclear threat acting as the Iraqi WMD did. On the other side, there's Congress and maybe the intelligence community, who don't want to be dragged in a repetition of Iraq, and have made it clear and public that there are no Iranian nukes nor plans to make such. Bush still persists with his arguments that Iran is dangerous, so it seems that his plan has been cut short by whoever released this information about the Iranian nuclear plans.
Yup, there were leaks in the US press a couple of months ago, supposedly from the Pentagon, that Fallon was going all out to prevent war 'on his watch' whatever the White House said.

Rumpel
Yup, there were leaks in the US press a couple of months ago, supposedly from the Pentagon, that Fallon was going all out to prevent war 'on his watch' whatever the White House said.
Good old Fallon.
Soon there there might be a Brutus skulking the corridor near the Veeps office where Snarler wiles away his hours upon this stage, before shortly he is no more.

I wonder who it might turn out to be?

Latest Threads