Percy Arms, Otterburn

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Bowlander, Jan 8, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Sad to hear my old local, the Percy has shut up shop. Spent many a night in there.

2. Spent a merry new year's eve there late 70s, snowed in. Couth subscription dinner cancelled as punters couldn't get there, miscellaneous folk ate the dainties on offer. Ended up snowballing in the street at 1am. Seem to remember they had a Great Dane at one time - I think I remember it pissing in the corner of the front lounge one teatime. An absolute torrent.

3. What a pity. That was rather sudden. I had cause to enjoy a few jars in the Percy last summer on a few occasions and the place seemed to be doing ok. I would have thought that the fact it was a hotel too would have kept it going. Some characters in there too.

4. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

is that the one on the main road?

5. That's the one. Posh bar at the front and public bar around the back.

6. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

with car park general purpose recce rover hiding for the use of :)

shame, probably something a private owner could make work as a hobby retirement pub.

7. I have been going to Otterburn annually for the past decade, and the Percy has been in noticable decline for the past couple of years.

I think the Thrash Metal band in the public bar last year was a bit of a giveaway, and the standard of the scoff has gone down from fine dining (for Nothumberland mind!) to good food, to pub grub to chicken inna basket...

The Otterburn Tower on the other side of the road is now the place to park the red tabs...

8. Long frontage just up, or indeed down from the church ?

9. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

Sign of the times. Otterburn Tower used to be a rat infested shithole. Then somebody invested money in it and now it is OK. The Percy used to be a canny family run boozer then some retired copper bought it and fucked the job.

Anybody been to the Knowsgate since Robbie snuffed it and his weird wife flogged the place? If Alan Sugar needs a challenge for his Muppets, hand them the ******* Knowsgate and tell them to make it work.

• Like Like x 1
  10. My Copper good mate of mine and an Inspector was shot in the Percy Arms late 70s by a want to be IRA twat who had previously shot and killed an Army Office.. He . My mate recieved the Queens Bravery award.