Percieved vs Stated Mission

Discussion in 'OTC and ACF' started by Capt Cheeky, Mar 26, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. After the deluge of anti-otc posts / threads and the like I thought that maybe raising the profile of this forum with a meaningful thread might help a bit.

No doubt it'll only be a matter of time before it gets dragged off topic and filled with inane slagging matches and homoerotic statements but lets give it a shot....

The stated mission of the UOTC is:

"to develop - through broad Army training and experience - leadership, knowledge, and skills in order to prepare individuals for positions of responsibility in the Regular Army, Territorial Army or elsewhere."

What would you construe the actual misson of the UOTC to be ?

Changing times / changing climates etc etc

2. :lol:

3. wan-king?

4. Pathetic.

I cannot believe I'm saying this but there is a large amount of Logic in what The Monk, MDN, Bravo_Bravo et al are saying.

This thread has been online for under ten minutes and already it has been knocked completely off topic.

This type of thread is seldom seen within the OTC Forum and I can see why.

I think I may relocate myself to another part of the forum seeing as it's getting rather evident that I have less and less in common with you all as the days go by.

Harumph.

5. and i forgot to say providing chippy 1 pip ******* who couldnt find their arse without mamas help - feckin' university toss pot waste of space f*ck wits oh and by the way i was attached to BUOTC mid 90' s what a shower of sh*te so i feel qualified to comment.
    shape up your forum or frig off!

6. et voila...

7. I think the OTC is now much more focused towards providing skills which will be of use within civvy street, and on fostering positive attitudes towards the forces.
    The recruitement into the regs and TA seems fairly minimal, folk in the OTC make their own minds up.

8. Hmm ? Good point, well presented!

Let's assume that the proverbial sh*t had hit the fan and Gp B TA was called up.... the official line is that the UOTC "....provides a pool of potential officers...." in such an event!

Any other roles ?

9. Am I mistaken in thinking that in case of disaster, London otc's role is the defence of the london bridges? Someone muttered that one to me ages ago, wasn't quite sure whther they were pulling my leg or not...

10. We frequently hear that we are "the future captains of industry" and the OTC will provide us with a positive view of any TA soldiers that work for us when we do join the "real world" of middle management. When Pvt. Blogs asks us for 2 weeks off for camp we won't tell him to GTF straight off the bat. It's also supposed to make future business people more pro active in the recruitment of staff who have an army background thus making resettlement easier for regulars.

I'm sure they get a few TA and regular officers out of it as well.

It sounds like an expensive marketing campaign to me.

You could also argue that since national service was abolished, organisations such as the ACF/CCF and OTCs are there to re-establish some backbone into the yoof of today.

I do agree with A_Team_lewis. There are certain skills (mainly leadership) that are transferable onto civy street. Any course you go on e.g. MOI you get some sort of NVQ/ SVQ qualification out of. This seems to be more of an army-wide policy than an OTCcentric one tho.

11. One problem they might face is that if the employers have a better knowlege of what goes on, it will be harder to bluff the "sorry i've just got back of exercise with the army, and its been terrible hard" or the "yes i have to go on exercise, spartan hike is an essential part in the war against terrorism..."

12. Well if the balloon goes up Tayforth are to guard Dundee City Council dustbin lorries. And even that requires a decree from the Queen.

13. "Well sir as you can well understand from your time as a JUO in the OTC, Snowlion is an essential part of countering radical insurgents hiding in the Cairngorms....the noise from the p!ss ups are a sure way to disrupt their sleep patterns and hence their cohesion as a fighting force"

14. Have to agree, and this is what I find fits it best when describing what I do at uni (besides my course). It is just a very large scale marketing/PR campaign to sympathise future managers etc to the forces (TA especially). Also to provide a fairly good supply of TA officers and give some others a stepping stone to the regs and a taste of what it may be like. I know a few people who joined the OTC because of the promise of cheap AT and now are seriously condsidering a career in the TA/Regs. Personally for me I was fairly sure I wanted to go regular, OTC has helped confirm this.

Agreed with CC it is a shame about the almost immediate deviation on this thread.