Peoples memorial - Portsmouth

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by pompey, Apr 22, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Not sure if anyone has posted this story on here yet, would be surprised if it hadn't got coverage. Apologies if already posted at some point.

An 'unofficial' memorial has been made in Langstone Harbour, Portsmouth by Willie Goldfinch (ex forces). It is his tribute to the men and women killed in Iraq and Afghanistan and he is now consulting the council to get planning permission / approval for it to remain. He is also unfortunately having to clean it up and rebuild after a few acts of vandalism and even people cutting the Union flag down!

Link

2. It's a nice gesture and should be given more publicity and support. But if you build it in the city with (reputedly) the lowest average IQ in the UK, you've got to expect a lot of people who just don't get it.

3. Lowest IQ in the country.... thought that accolade belonged to Hull

4. Maybe a close second? I'll have to see if I can find the original list.

5. maninblack

maninblack LE Book Reviewer

I drove down the Eastern Road tonight and in now has;

H4H Flag
    Union Flag
    Army Flag
    Raf Flag
    White Ensign

Why not. Best of luck to him.

6. Have they tested the nations IQ's by city? Is this another Labour control freakery thing? We need to be told!

7. On the train between Cosham and P & SSea there are a stack in the back gardens, at least 3 or 4 H4H and a countless others.

8. Would be good if PCC gave him the official nod

9. Seen. There's in Highbury as your near Cosham station that fly the flags high and proud.

10. Knowing how PC driven LA are these days I suspect this 'may' have a limited lifespan, however I do hope PCC give it the thumbs up,