• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

People's Liberation Army Air Force

Chines scientists just invented first really working quantum radar.
"
A major State-owned defense contractor has designed and built a cutting-edge quantum radar, which military observers say will eventually be able to detect stealth aircraft from great distances.

The radar, developed and made by the Nanjing Research Institute of Electronics Technology in Jiangsu province, is able to detect and track targets more than 100 kilometers away, Sun Jun, head of the institute's Intelligent Detection Technology Laboratory, told China Daily in an exclusive interview."

Quantum radar tech to counter stealth - Chinadaily.com.cn

Do the Chinese actually invent anything ?
Just about all the A/C pictured above seem to be copies of western types ......they do clones of western prestige cars and electronic goods and their Navy looks like they got a copy of Janes and built looky likey boats .
Are they anything other than tech thieves and clever mimics ?

...Are they anything other than tech thieves and clever mimics ?
I suspect that if it provides them with the capabilities to support their ambitions, they don't care.

Regards,
MM

Do the Chinese actually invent anything ?
Powder, compass, book prining, paper, cross-bow, etc... Yes, they are too respectful to elders to be the good inventors, and modern Chines after opium wars, are not neophylic, but they are clever and rich enough to hire the Russian inventors.
Are they anything other than tech thieves and clever mimics ?
They are good workers, and they pay well to foreign inventors (when they can't get info for free, of course).

Powder, compass, book prining, paper, cross-bow, etc... Yes, they are to respectful to elders to be good inventors, and modern Chines after opium wars, are not neophylic, but they are clever and rich enough to hire Russian inventors.
Yes I know all that.........and respect to the Empires of yeas ago......
But they never seem to have an A/C or anything else that makes you look and think that it's a new idea .....it always looks like something that has already been flown or made before and is reverse engineered .

Powder, compass, book prining, paper, cross-bow, etc... Yes, they are too respectful to elders to be the good inventors, and modern Chines after opium wars, are not neophylic, but they are clever and rich enough to hire the Russian inventors.

They are good workers, and they pay well to foreign inventors (when they can't get info for free, of course).
Monkey see, monkey do.....

Yes I know all that.........and respect to the Empires of yeas ago......
But they never seem to have an A/C or anything else that makes you look and think that it's a new idea .....it always looks like something that has already been flown or made before and is reverse engineered .
Yes. Top-7 of Chines inventions in 2012-17 are:
7 'firsts' in China's sci-tech achievements in 2012-17[1]- Chinadaily.com.cn

artificial cornea, largest single-aperture telescope, quantum communication sattelite, exascale supercomputer, photon quantum computer, worlds largest shockwave hypersonic tunnel, brightest UV-light.
Nothing really new.
But from the other hand - who can call any 'absolutely new' invention? Two basic human inventions - usage of the stone tools and usage of fire were made by half-apes, you know.

By Grimbo "Do the Chinese actually invent anything ?
Just about all the A/C pictured above seem to be copies of western types ......they do clones of western prestige cars and electronic goods and their Navy looks like they got a copy of Janes and built looky likey boats .
Are they anything other than tech thieves and clever mimics ?"

Seems the Russians got a little upset when this happened.
Russia to China: You Shouldn't Have Stolen Our Jet Fighter

But then Russia has been doing it for years.
Imitation game: the Soviets stole their best designs from the west. Has anything changed?

Meanwhile the joys of being a Chinese Navel Aviator.
China's navy scrambles to replace troubled J-15 carrier fighter jet

Last edited:
People's Liberation Army Air Force...splitters

I suspect that if it provides them with the capabilities to support their ambitions, they don't care.

Regards,
MM
If the copy is 50% as effective as the original and they build 3 x as many, we're in the s**t and I'd be surprised if the copy isn't more like 85% as good.

If the copy is 50% as effective as the original and they build 3 x as many, we're in the s**t and I'd be surprised if the copy isn't more like 85% as good.
I’d be very surprised if they approached that standard although, like Russian aircraft, Chinese assets need to be seen in the broader context of how they employ SAMs and other systems.

One of the biggest factors however is training. A good example there is the Falklands where Argentina had far greater numbers of what in many cases were superior aircraft to the Sea Harrier. However, it was the superior training of RN and RAF aircrew which prevailed.

In that respect, the Chinese have a lot to learn.

Regards,
MM