People Who Inspire You

Who inspires or inspired you then?

"Sir Ranulph Twisleton-Wykeham-Fiennes, 3rd Baronet OBE (born 7 March 1944), usually known as Ranulph (Ran) Fiennes, is a British adventurer and holder of several endurance records. He was the first man to visit both the north and south poles by surface means and the first man to completely cross Antarctica on foot." (Wikipedia)

His books and tapes are wortha look as well.

Right now, ordinary young people are going past my windows and around my City, in uniform. Apparently unremarkable, unassuming.

One of those "Respect" events is happening in the City, dancing about and banging their drums all over the place with their cultural respect message. Good for them.

Poppies have been on sale for two days now and at a rough guess, one per cent of the City is wearing poppies. About average for this place according to recent years.

The Festival of Remembrance in our City this year is cancelled, apparently.

Makes you wonder.

(Edited due to *rse typing)

PandaLOVE said:
Simon de Montfort.
Yes, even has a Hall venue named after him doesn't he? And a University if I remember right. Lived around that area for years and used to visit the old De Montfort Hall. Changed a lot that area, Ghandi's statue gone up yet?

abrecan said:
PandaLOVE said:
Simon de Montfort.
Yes, even has a Hall venue named after him doesn't he? And a University if I remember right. Lived around that area for years and used to visit the old De Montfort Hall. Changed a lot that area, Ghandi's statue gone up yet?
I'm not sure if I should call you a knob or a funny, OK bloke. Ive decided. Knob.

Awww sorry, no offence. have a rethink.

Probably get shite for this, but people who inspire me, are the lads who come back from the stan or Iraq minus what they went with, and still soldier on regardless.
Fook sporting hero's or historical folk, the lads doing the job and getting on with it, despite what has happened to them, make me feel very humble, and make me look to my own life and think, ive got it good.

Markintime said:
I can't think of anyone who has shown more determination in adversity. They are what being British is all about.

Captain Noel Godfrey Chavasse, VC and Bar, MC

Agreed - was in Chavasse platoon at Keogh :)

CityBanker said:
Markintime said:
I can't think of anyone who has shown more determination in adversity. They are what being British is all about.

Captain Noel Godfrey Chavasse, VC and Bar, MC

Agreed - was in Chavasse platoon at Keogh :)
As a apprentice I was in Chavasse House. One day the TV was nicked from the TV room and the SIB came to investigate. All very cut and dried but as the SIB were leaving one of them looked up on the wall to a little wooden, glass-fronted case containing Chavasse's miniatures. Apparently they were genuine and worth an absolute fortune. It was suggested that they went into a vault somewhere, which indeed happened.

They certainly weren't there when I was in in the early 90s.

Did you know Wilf P, ex PARA bandsman?

Wilf P was probably a teenager then! When I first met him was waiting to drop our bags in rooms when he popped his head out of the window to point out the WRACs with the inimitable quote:

"They've been confined for six weeks lads so, dick in one hand, penicillin in the other"