People Who Inspire You

Discussion in 'ARRSE Social, Events & Networking' started by abrecan, Oct 25, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Who inspires or inspired you then?

"Sir Ranulph Twisleton-Wykeham-Fiennes, 3rd Baronet OBE (born 7 March 1944), usually known as Ranulph (Ran) Fiennes, is a British adventurer and holder of several endurance records. He was the first man to visit both the north and south poles by surface means and the first man to completely cross Antarctica on foot." (Wikipedia)

His books and tapes are wortha look as well.

Right now, ordinary young people are going past my windows and around my City, in uniform. Apparently unremarkable, unassuming.

One of those "Respect" events is happening in the City, dancing about and banging their drums all over the place with their cultural respect message. Good for them.

Poppies have been on sale for two days now and at a rough guess, one per cent of the City is wearing poppies. About average for this place according to recent years.

The Festival of Remembrance in our City this year is cancelled, apparently.

Makes you wonder.

(Edited due to *rse typing)

2. Floella Benjamin

Attached Files:

3. This chap....

He's done it all.

Edited to add; twice over (to hide my mongness)

Attached Files:

4. I can't think of anyone who has shown more determination in adversity. They are what being British is all about.

Captain Noel Godfrey Chavasse, VC and Bar, MC

[​IMG]

Group Captain Sir Douglas Robert Steuart Bader CBE, DSO & Bar, DFC & Bar, FRAeS, DL, RAF

[​IMG]

5. Local hero born nearby

Attached Files:

6. Simon de Montfort.

7. Yes, even has a Hall venue named after him doesn't he? And a University if I remember right. Lived around that area for years and used to visit the old De Montfort Hall. Changed a lot that area, Ghandi's statue gone up yet?

8. I'm not sure if I should call you a knob or a funny, OK bloke. Ive decided. Knob.

9. Awww sorry, no offence. have a rethink.

10. Yea, maybe I was a bit hasty myself. To fall into line with everyone my new inspirational figure is David Beckham. How's that?

I can suck my own c0ck you know.

11. Probably get shite for this, but people who inspire me, are the lads who come back from the stan or Iraq minus what they went with, and still soldier on regardless.
    Fook sporting hero's or historical folk, the lads doing the job and getting on with it, despite what has happened to them, make me feel very humble, and make me look to my own life and think, ive got it good.

12. Nah, no shite from me mate. Pretty spot on.

13. Mr Harry Patch

Google him if you are really that unknowing

Lest we forget !

14. Agreed - was in Chavasse platoon at Keogh :)