Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

people fought and died so that I could...........

'people fought and died so I could' seems to have become a trivialised sentiment these days its bandied about all the time for such trivial matters its almost losing its meaning, it seems that people are quite happy to invoke it for things that only affect a small part of the population rather then things that matter to a nation as a whole.

Let me give an example, I'm an avid droner I fly both recreationally and also fly in a limited search and rescue capacity, I completely supported the implementation of the new laws apart from the registration part, not because it was an attack on my freedom but purely because its not fit for purpose, being as it serves no purpose. it cost £4m to setup a database that could be done by my granny using Microsoft excel on a 10 year old PC, it wont stop those who are up to no good because they wont register anyway and is estimated to cost an additional £4m a year to run.

Recently the argument against it has turned from being a stealth tax to an affront to personal freedoms that people fought and died for, which I find personally offensive, after all who does it affect it doesn't affect my neighbour she doesn't fly drones, it doesn't affect my parents they dont fly drones, it doesn't affect anyone in here that dont fly drones, so how can it be an attack on freedom especially an attack worthy of invoking the people fought and died for...….. argument especially as its coming from people who aren't even from the UK. this is just one example I have noticed it creeping into other non-important arguments.

the Yanks take it a step further by citing the constitution and the bill of rights at every opportunity, I'm not sure Ben Franklin and his cronies were considering hobby's when they came up with it

being required to pay and abide by rules set out by the relevant authorities to undertake and enjoy a privilege, cause thats what it is a privilege not a right can never be grounds for invoking this, but each and every time I have attempted to put this across I am jumped on mainly by never served civilians.

Am I being oversensitive, possibly but I am often confused by groups claiming rights only to deny the right to oppose their view or stance as some sort of 'ism'. Where are these people come election time are they standing as MP's, are they talking to anyone in authority in an attempt to defend their freedoms, at best they might put together a petition which is only signed by people in their little circle believing 500 signatures is somehow indicative that they are championing the rights of the little guy despite being mostly ignored by the mass populous.

Where did it all go wrong, when did the lines between freedoms, rights and privilege become so blurred and how do we fix it, can it even be fixed or do we have to accept it's now a fluid concept for each individual?

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
There's too much about "rights" and not enough about the personal responsibilities that go hand in hand with "freedom".

There's too much about "rights" and not enough about the personal responsibilities that go hand in hand with "freedom".
Your right but to be fair taking personal responsibility for anything has been a outdated notion for a long time already

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
Your right but to be fair taking personal responsibility for anything has been a outdated notion for a long time already

Perhaps among the younger generations, who would do well to consider it before shouting "you OAPs stole my future" and similar bollox.

Perhaps among the younger generations, who would do well to consider it before shouting "you OAPs stole my future" and similar bollox.
That shouted out would generally target baby boomers now.

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
Greta thunberg has a lot to answer for.

People fought and died, because they're were told too and their mates were in equal peril..... Whenever anybody invokes a sacred cow to their argument you know they're are shifting from everyones rights, to the rights of a minority, who secretly happen to want to be the majority and then impose constraints.

Democracy is the rule of the majority and our parliament should divest itself of lobbyists and refuse to answer media narratives, where that narrative is unrepresentative.. The greater we try and accommodate difference the less social capital you have, because inevitably the by product is you tear apart equality.

years ago I ran a community development trust and it was mainly young people that would come and ask for thing to happen or be done, but the call for volunteers to make it happen was always answered by the same thieving OAP's whilst the youngster were no where to be seen

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
That shouted out would generally target baby boomers now.

Yes, quite. The ones accused of, ahem, voting a certain way in a certain referendum...

the same moaning minnies who bleated about a national identity card system probably howled loudest when victims of Identity theft.
I was always amazed in UK when a phone bill counted as 'Positive ID" at a bank etc.

“Look here, you little cvnt. I, my comrades, and our forebears provided your future. Which would you rather be speaking, German, Russian or English? Now fcuk off and do something of value with your life. The AFCO is on the High Street, in case you’re interested”.

endure

GCM
the same moaning minnies who bleated about a national identity card system probably howled loudest when victims of Identity theft.
I was always amazed in UK when a phone bill counted as 'Positive ID" at a bank etc.
It wasn't the ID card system as such it was the enormous amount of irrelevant data they wanted to store on it

It wasn't the ID card system as such it was the enormous amount of irrelevant data they wanted to store on it
IF a photo ID links to firearm license, drivers license details, any outstanding warrants etc, is it a bad thing?
What data, in this day and age, is considered 'irrelevant' when most f*ckwits post their intimate details on facebook?

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
It depends what you mean by curtailment of liberties.

I see a lot of law-abiding liberties being assaulted every day because the liberties of the transgressors are more important.

We each have a responsibility to society. It's a two-way thing. My feeling though is that those who transgress should have their rights diminished. Or, at least, the feelings and needs of those transgressed against should take precedence.

Until we sort that, the rest isn't really worth debating.

Latest Threads