Pensions on Death

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by elovabloke, Jan 17, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. elovabloke

elovabloke LE Moderator

I have just been informed that an ex RM has sadly died. He served for approx 7 years and was medically discharged. I am currently trying to establish whether he was in reciept of a War Pension due to his injuries.

He was never married but has lived with his current partner for over 3 years and has a child and a mortgage.

Can anyone advice me or point me in the direction so I can find out whether she is intitled to any of his pension if he was getting one?

Have posted on Rum Ration but it takes weeks for them to wake up so I presume with the expertise available someone may be able to advise as I presume that it would be similiar for us green jobs.

2. I think it depends what pension scheme he was on. AFPS 75 - I believe that only marriages /civl partnerships are recognised - I know there was a case a few years back which gave a pay out to a partner and child of a SF chap who dies on Ops. But, this I beleive was the catalyst for the provisions under AFPS 05 where a serviceman can notify the services of a partner and this individual then can claim in the same way spouses can. If the serviceman did not change his pension schemes and then register his partner with MoD I do not beleive there can be any claim. However if he had already left the service by the time we all were required to change/or not perhaps there is a case for a special pleading?

I am not an expert though and am happy to be corrected.

3. elovabloke

elovabloke LE Moderator

Thanks for your input. It's a bit complicated at the moment as I am trying to help through a third party. The partner is obviously very upset at the mo along with the worry of losing the house and cash flow issues.

4. Sorry for hijacking your thread elovabloke but this has got me thinking. If I snuff it before my wife is she still entitled to my (or part of my) pension? If so who must she contact upon my kicking it?
    I've done 22 years.

5. elovabloke

elovabloke LE Moderator

Have now advised those who are dealing with the issue to go direct To The Horses Mouth

When my old man popped his clogs I just rang army pensions who, after receiving the official paperwork - copy of death cert etc - adjusted my mothers entitlement accordingly.

6. Nice one, I just need to sort it out before I go canoeing off the north east coast this weekend.

7. elovabloke

elovabloke LE Moderator

So is it 7 years or longer :D

8. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

Rules are here:
    http://www.mod.uk/NR/rdonlyres/55EDB441-5884-4544-AF56-0AA88511909A/0/afps75fambenefits.pdf

Whether or not she would entiltled to a War Widows Pension (if he was in receipt of a War Pension) depends on the cause of death & whether it was related to his pension.
    If you wish to continue this of thread PM me.

9. I had the financial brief mid last year, they said that if you are in reciept of a forces pension and then die, your spouse gets 50% of your pension and your children get 25% (1 x child = 25%, 2 x children = 12.5% each and so on), the state keep the other 25%.

10. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

Almost Filbert but not quite,
    Page 17 of:

http://www.mod.uk/NR/rdonlyres/55EDB441-5884-4544-AF56-0AA88511909A/0/afps75fambenefits.pdf

11. Is that with the old pension scheme as well? Which is brief we all got as everyone on the brief was on the good old scheme, maybe its changed since then.

12. On the old scheme it was 50% for the spouse and 25% per child up to a maximum of 100% of the pension. IE Married with 2 kids gets 100% of the pension earned to date.

His child should at least get 25% of his pension, but if the SF bloke got it, then why shouldn't everyone else be entitled as well.