Pensions and the German Taxman (finanzamt)

Due out in 2009 after my 22,settling in Germany,I've already brought my own house.Just want to know if I declare myself non-resident to UK taxman.Can the Germans try and tax my pension?

Id be surprised if they cant. You have to pay tax somewhere!

REMEWOTAJOKE said:
Due out in 2009 after my 22,settling in Germany,I've already brought my own house.Just want to know if I declare myself non-resident to UK taxman.Can the Germans try and tax my pension?
I'm alot further away than Germany yet the IR fell about laughing when I tried the ol' 'Tax Exile' routine! :)

Jabber said:
You will pay UK tax on your pension, but will not then have to pay German tax on it.
Not 100% true I am afraid :cry:

Went through this shite with the ubersturmsteuerdieb my self.

What they do is add your pension onto your income, this is then taxed at a special rate called "Progessionsvorbehalt "

From an earlier post on the same subject.

You will probably have to pay the Progessionsvorbehalt on your pension.
This is the way they get round the treaty without breaking it

What they do is they add your pension to your yearly pay and then use this sum to calculate your personal allowances/rate of tax and they then use this rate on your actuall income. Not on the pension part of it !!

The result is that you end up paying more tax than before.

It is theoretically possible that you wouldn't pay anymore tax but if you are earning even a moderately normal wage then the sods will take money off you.

Oh BTW Bill have you made sure that you are being taxed at the lowest possible rate in the UK? I pay something like £60 a year in tax on my pension in the UK.

I am fighting the Boxhead wnakers 'cos they are trying to get me to pay the full income tax on my terminal grant and commutation, that would be about 5 times the amount of the Progressionsvorbeblah and they ain't getting my dosh..... I hope
Oh and I did win, still paid the progessionsvorbehalt bit but it was a LOT less then the fcukers tried to get in the first place.

So the simple answer is "yes and no":) You don't actually pay "tax" on the pension but you do pay the bastards it is just not called tax.

Cnuts the lot of them.