Pensioners' manifesto launched

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by PartTimePongo, Feb 10, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

No mention of subsidised Earl Grey or Rich Tea biccies, the right to bang on remorseless ..."In my day" or National Service for the young "In my day"

Bless :D

In all seriousness, More power to them, it's a powerful bloc of votes, they make a difference. I'd like to see something in the mainfesto about ageist employment policies in the Armed Forces and elsewhere too.
  2. Oi!!! Earl Grey isn't just for wrinklies you know! :wink:

The minimum pension requested seems reasonable enough but, given that we have an aging population and a shrinking (accidentally typed "shirking" first time round :) ) workforce, it may be difficult for the govt to meet this. Correct me if I'm wrong, but although more people are in work now than ever before many of these are part-time and in the service sector (Britain now being, to all intents and purposes a primary and secondary industry-free zone). Should recession begin to bite (and with the insane levels of consumer borrowing I can't see how this house of cards won't tumble sooner or later) then the tertiary industries will be very hard hit and revenues must inevitably fall.

I really feel for the elderly. They worked all their lives, paid their taxes and now, when they look into the pot, successive govts have created an unsustainable economy and the pot is somewhat empty.
  3. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

We could start by reducing all MP's pay by two thirds, and all ministerial salaries by three-quarters, then install punch-clocks in their relevant buildings.

Oh forgot.

Any minister with more than one Jaguar to be fed.

To the Ethiopians.