Pensioners' manifesto launched

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/3475187.stm

A pensioners' campaign group has unveiled a manifesto in an effort to make political parties take notice of the "grey vote" at the next election.
Rises in the state pension and an end to means testing top the National Pensioners' Convention (NPC) demands.

NPC president Rodney Bickerstaffe wants would-be MPs to endorse the list.

He said: "This unique exercise in pensioner power will no longer mean that older people can either be ignored or taken for granted."

The NPC says the manifesto has been drawn up by more than 800 groups following the "biggest consultation exercise ever staged amongst older people".

The final document will be approved by the Pensioners' Parliament in May and then sent to all prospective parliamentary candidates.

The wide-ranging demands cover healthcare, pensions and mobility. They include:

Raising the basic state pension to £105.45 a week for a single pensioner and £160.95 for a couple from April (it is due to rise to £79.60 and £127.25 respectively)

Removing means testing from pensions and benefits

State pension to be linked to average earnings or inflation, whichever is greater, so pensioners share in national prosperity

Free annual health checks and long-term care

A £200 increase per pensioner household in the winter fuel allowance, with £100 extra for over-80s

The creation of a National Older Persons' Commission to scrutinise legislation and make recommendations to Parliament.
No mention of subsidised Earl Grey or Rich Tea biccies, the right to bang on remorseless ..."In my day" or National Service for the young "In my day"

Bless :D

In all seriousness, More power to them, it's a powerful bloc of votes, they make a difference. I'd like to see something in the mainfesto about ageist employment policies in the Armed Forces and elsewhere too.

Oi!!! Earl Grey isn't just for wrinklies you know! :wink:

The minimum pension requested seems reasonable enough but, given that we have an aging population and a shrinking (accidentally typed "shirking" first time round :) ) workforce, it may be difficult for the govt to meet this. Correct me if I'm wrong, but although more people are in work now than ever before many of these are part-time and in the service sector (Britain now being, to all intents and purposes a primary and secondary industry-free zone). Should recession begin to bite (and with the insane levels of consumer borrowing I can't see how this house of cards won't tumble sooner or later) then the tertiary industries will be very hard hit and revenues must inevitably fall.

I really feel for the elderly. They worked all their lives, paid their taxes and now, when they look into the pot, successive govts have created an unsustainable economy and the pot is somewhat empty.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
We could start by reducing all MP's pay by two thirds, and all ministerial salaries by three-quarters, then install punch-clocks in their relevant buildings.

Oh forgot.

Any minister with more than one Jaguar to be fed.

To the Ethiopians.