Pensioner who shouted at yobs ends up in cells

#1
A pensioner who stepped in to stop youths throwing stones at ducks on a canal was arrested by police.

Bill Marshall was expecting officers to investigate his complaints about being repeatedly taunted by the gang. Instead the 73-year-old great-grandfather was taken to a cell and accused of attacking the teenagers.

The retired miner said that he thought the police had been responding to his complaints about anti-social behaviour by some local youths.

"I was quite happy to invite the officer in but then he said I was being arrested and taken to the station accused of assault," Mr Marshall said.

"I thought it was a joke at first but then I realised he was perfectly serious.

"The officer ordered me to take the laces out my shoes as I was being arrested for common assault. I didn't know what to think. One of the yobs said I had hit him and so they took his word against mine. I might have lost my temper and shouted at them, but I did not hit anybody.

Chief Insp Glenn Harper of Nottinghamshire Police said the arresting officer acted correctly but added: "I will ensure the necessary training needs are addressed."
In full

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/mai...VCBQYIV0?xml=/news/2008/01/19/nhaveago119.xml
 
#2
A JOKE?? thats the ******* pigs for you their to protect chavs. - chavs. someone tell me what ******* use are they?? :?
 
#3
armchair_jihad said:
A pensioner who stepped in to stop youths throwing stones at ducks on a canal was arrested by police.

Bill Marshall was expecting officers to investigate his complaints about being repeatedly taunted by the gang. Instead the 73-year-old great-grandfather was taken to a cell and accused of attacking the teenagers.

The retired miner said that he thought the police had been responding to his complaints about anti-social behaviour by some local youths.

"I was quite happy to invite the officer in but then he said I was being arrested and taken to the station accused of assault," Mr Marshall said.

"I thought it was a joke at first but then I realised he was perfectly serious.

"The officer ordered me to take the laces out my shoes as I was being arrested for common assault. I didn't know what to think. One of the yobs said I had hit him and so they took his word against mine. I might have lost my temper and shouted at them, but I did not hit anybody.

Chief Insp Glenn Harper of Nottinghamshire Police said the arresting officer acted correctly but added: "I will ensure the necessary training needs are addressed."
In full

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/mai...VCBQYIV0?xml=/news/2008/01/19/nhaveago119.xml
WHAT NECESSARY TRAINING NEEDS ??????

Gang of yoofs or an OAP??
Take the easy option, arrest the OAP, he's hardly likely to put up a fight :evil:
 
#5
but that is the police of today..

at best of times there is no common sense..

I KNOW IT HAS BEEN SAID BEFORE..



BUT..









REINSTATE THE LIKES OF GENE HUNT..
 
#6
The filth these days are mostly absolutely pointless. And then, when you do find a decent one, and he does catch a proper criminal, the courts hand down unbelievably lenient sentences.
 
#7
Unbelievable, another act displaying a lack of commonsense. Sometimes you hear stories but you have to remember that the police at the scene had to act on what is present before them but even so, if there any uncertainty the police would have brought both of them in, wouldn't they? It appears they just took one person word over another which made the arresting plod look like a dumbarse.
 
#8
73 year old pensioner? Gang of youths? I know who I'd slam up... the interfering old cnut who had a pop at minors partaking in a harmless pastime. Does this old fecker not understand that today's youth have nothing to do. He'd do better redirecting his obvious energy more positively, like helping out in the local Yoof Communi'i Sentoh... innit?

Another PR success for Dibble... not!
 
#9
He sounds great:

"It took 73 years for an idiot to put me in jail. All I did was try to stop these louts throwing rocks at the ducks on the canal."
He was also defending his wife's honour:

Mr Marshall of Worksop, Notts, had complained to police that he and his wife, Margaret, 72, had been targeted by the gang in recent months. He said: "It started for us with kids ringing the doorbell. When my wife opened the door one of the boys was making really lewd gestures."
 
#10
Feckin Copper needs locked up for stupidity, typical of those people nowadays, no common sense
 
#11
Does this mean that the little bit of dogshit that reported the OAP,will get a slapped wrist for wasting police time :roll: I think not!

The problem is,that young police constables,and young yobs,are united by a common problem,none of them have any life skills,and common sense is dirty american currency!
 
#12
Un - fecking - believable. WTF is wrong with these people? Retraining my arrse - he needs a brain putting in his head the dopey cnut. Is it possible these tw@ts actually set out to give themselevs a bad name?
 
#13
plus you will probably find that the little darlin may press for compensation through the C.I.C.A..

hope he isnt readin this..
 
#14
Rather than add another thread I thought I would put this item in here.

Police in yet another nonsensical act.



An amateur dramatics group staging a pantomime version of Pirates of the Caribbean in Carnon Downs, Cornwall, has been told by police to keep two plastic swords and a pop-gun under lock and key whenever the props are not being used on stage
and then. to appear extra jobsworth;
Elaine Gummow, the co-director, said that to satisfy health and safety regulations she had to inform the local constabulary if she planned to move the offending items
J. H. C. Is there no one with a brain in this misbegotten country?
 
#15
Chief Insp Glenn Harper of Nottinghamshire Police said the arresting officer acted correctly but added: "I will ensure the necessary training needs are addressed."
If the arresting officer acted correctly, what additional training would he need? Sounds to me like a "Back the blokes up regardless"-type comment. I can't for the life of me think of a circumstance where I'd think a lone unarmed pensioner would comprise a greater threat to a gang of youths than vice versa. What the Plod could have been thinking of beggars belief.
 
#16
"He shouted at them to stop. He said he received abuse from the gang and shouted back in anger but did not touch or hit any of them.

When police arrived at his home two weeks later he assumed it was in response to complaints he had made about anti-social behaviour in the village."

why did it take the police 2 weeks to find and detain this "threat" to community safety?

and the fuc*king useless twa"ts want a pay rise!!! perhaps they should raise recruitment standards and IQ limit to at least 50!!! and before the resident plod barge in as usual, there are at least 25 applicants to every police vacancy in most areas - so i'm sure they can recruit better (rather than one legged lesbians with a squint)

it seems to me that they want thick officers because you seldom find one who is a full schilling - although there are some!!!!

H.
 
#17
armchair_jihad said:
A pensioner who stepped in to stop youths throwing stones at ducks on a canal was arrested by police.

Bill Marshall was expecting officers to investigate his complaints about being repeatedly taunted by the gang. Instead the 73-year-old great-grandfather was taken to a cell and accused of attacking the teenagers.

The retired miner said that he thought the police had been responding to his complaints about anti-social behaviour by some local youths.

"I was quite happy to invite the officer in but then he said I was being arrested and taken to the station accused of assault," Mr Marshall said.

"I thought it was a joke at first but then I realised he was perfectly serious.

"The officer ordered me to take the laces out my shoes as I was being arrested for common assault. I didn't know what to think. One of the yobs said I had hit him and so they took his word against mine. I might have lost my temper and shouted at them, but I did not hit anybody.

Chief Insp Glenn Harper of Nottinghamshire Police said the arresting officer acted correctly but added: "I will ensure the necessary training needs are addressed."
In full

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/mai...VCBQYIV0?xml=/news/2008/01/19/nhaveago119.xml
Sounds like some lazy copper going for an easy arrest.
 
#18
hemingway said:
"He shouted at them to stop. He said he received abuse from the gang and shouted back in anger but did not touch or hit any of them.

When police arrived at his home two weeks later he assumed it was in response to complaints he had made about anti-social behaviour in the village."

why did it take the police 2 weeks to find and detain this "threat" to community safety?

and the fuc*king useless twa"ts want a pay rise!!! perhaps they should raise recruitment standards and IQ limit to at least 50!!! and before the resident plod barge in as usual, there are at least 25 applicants to every police vacancy in most areas - so i'm sure they can recruit better (rather than one legged lesbians with a squint)

it seems to me that they want thick officers because you seldom find one who is a full schilling - although there are some!!!!

H.
Of they can pay less!
 
#19
Unlike every other poster on this thread I'm not going to pretend that I know ALL of the detail as to what exactly happened here but in view of the spleen and indignation being vented upon the head of the Police in general I think a note of balance is required.
Firstly, there appears to have been a two week gap between the old gentleman's complaint about these youths and the appearance of the bobby on his doorstep. This suggests to me that his complaint was investigated to some degree, probably by enquiries with the youths believed to be involved. Now, if in the course of these enquiries a complaint of assault on a minor is alleged then it HAS to be taken seriously. The complainant will have had to provide a statement detailing the allegation and any witnesses likewise. At that point the officer has "reasonable grounds" to suspect an offence has been committed and must act accordingly, ie. interview the suspect, under arrest if need be. To do otherwise would place him/her in breach of Police regualtions and liable to disciplinary action.
Once arrested the suspect was interviewed (with a legal rep present if requested), and asked for his side of the story. Following this, advice would have been sought by the officer as to further proceedings. This would come initially from a Police sergeant and if necesary from a CPS lawyer. After weighing the facts and other considerations this man was released NFA.
I'm sure it was not what he was expecting but on these bare facts I can't see what else the police could have done in the circumstances. The inspectors comments do imply that there was perhaps a degree of misjudgement on the part of the arresting officer but we don't know where. It's quite possible the officer concerned was a probationer, lacked experience and wasn't fully familiar with the options open to him or her. For example, I personally would not necessarilly have arrested him to the but would have considered a voluntary interview either at the station or at the man's home for example.

Before going to Auto-rant it's worth establishing the facts! :wink:
 
#20
Jaeger said:
Before going to Auto-rant it's worth establishing the facts! :wink:
Where's the fun in letting the facts get in the way of a good rant?
 

Similar threads

Latest Threads