Discussion in 'Officers' started by bookiebait, Oct 1, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I was wondering whether your 16 years started on the date when you commissioned or when you first entered to Sandhurst. Also, is either of these affected if your were under 21 at either of these points.

I would appreciate any advise.
  2. Depends if you are on AFPS 75 or 05. If on 75 (old scheme) then only service from the age of 21 counts. I am pretty sure that any service prior to commissioning counts, providing it is post 21st birthday.
  3. That makes sense. I am also on AFPS75 and so understand that it only counts after your 21st birthday. Still quite unsure on whether your time at RMAS counts. I also can't believe that I am having problems finding this out through the correct channels.
  4. The answer should be that it's from the day you entered Sandhurst which was, after all, your first day in the Army. The quick way to make sure thay have got it right is to check your Pensionable Service Date or whatever it'S called - sorry not near a DII terminal so I can't check JPA to see what it's called nowadays or exactly where you find it. One other way to check, assuming you still have it, is to check on the paperwork for your Offer To Transfer when we were all deciding between 75 and 05.....
  5. Under 75 rules it is from the date you were 21 - in my case that was when I was an OCdt, so I started to accrue my benefits for pension before I passed out from Sandhurst.
  6. Under AFPS 75:

For officers: 21st birthday.

For soldiers: 18th birthday.

Commissioned from the ranks: 21st birthday.

7. Exactly right Litotes.

I joined at 18 Commissioned at 26 and on the date of commissioning I lost 3 years pensionable service. It's still a pretty good deal, after all I get to retire after 19 years served (16 pensionable iaw Officer's minimum pension) which is 3 years less than I would have to serve in the ranks.

Most people of my commissioning peer group have 10 years left to hit their 16 year point, I have 4 ;)
  8. I have kept a copy of Soldier Magazine from Sep 08 which states: Under AFPS 75, reckonable service for officers is either the first day of paid service or their 21st birthday (whichever is later), and under AFPS 05 it is the first day of paid service.
  9. Captain_Crusty

Captain_Crusty War Hero Reviewer Book Reviewer

I remember being told in my first few days at Sandhurst that you could 'buy' back time ie if you joined after your 21st birthday, you could put money into the pot to take your pension up to the max 34 years at 55.

Does anyone know anything about this and how you can do it?
  10. Suggest speaking to admin staff but ...... hang on, we do it ourselves now! Seriously, ask the RAWO of your unit, they will know but it is from 21st birthday/ day you started RMAS (whichever is later).

11. Captain_Crusty

Should know .... but haven't whenever I've asked!
  12. Listen to Litotes and Choff.
  13. Captain_Crusty

Do they know the answer to my question?
  14. My apologies C_C.... my advice was directed to the initial poster. I don't know the answer to your question.... I was one of those unfortunates who LOST three years!
  15. I think you should try JPAC because I can't see it being done any other way these days. The words you should use are "additional pension contributions".

I might be wrong but there may have been a time limit.