Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by peteisfishing, Jun 12, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

  1. Is there any way that a pension gratuity would be allowed to be paid early due to a dependents illness? The reason i ask is that MOH has just spent time in hospital and has been diagnosed with an illness which might stop her being able to work. With a Mortgage in both our names and other things to pay it will be a struggle. However i only have 7 months to my pension date. This would go a long way to helping us out. Hope this makes sense. My family has had a lot of stress recently and if this was possible it would be a massive help. But i am not sure of all the legal stuff regarding pensions and the likes, any assistance would be greatly received.
  2. I've never heard if anything like that being authorised - may be worth approaching your bank with a pension asessment for either a short term loan or a request to suspend payments until you get your lump sum!

  3. I doubt the pension will be released. Speak with your bank, explain the situation and try and arrange a payment break on your mortgage and other payments. The bank, especially in the current financial climate, should be more focussed on helping you over difficult times - its in their best interest (no pun!) to help you.
  4. The problem with that might be that it will effect my credit rating as i will have missed contractual payments, and i am looking at setting up as a sole trader whaen i am on my termination leave so i need a good rating to get an account with a supplier etc etc. I will have a chat with them but i doubt they will help, regardless of what the government advises them to do, as they seem to be a law unto themselves. Thanks for the advice thus far.
  5. oldbaldy

    oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

    Which pension is this?
    Are you still serving & due to retire in 7 months?
    If that is the case I doubt it.
    As Paywog says your best bet is your bank, your only looking for a short term loan. Or speak to your mortgage provider, they may suspend payments for a few months. Remember interest will still be charged though.