Pension.

elovabloke

ADC
Current Government rules state that anyone retiring after 5 April 1975, with at least 3 years service, can receive a pension when they reach 65.
Source RBL.

Check on age qualification as - depending on age/sex it could be 60

elovabloke

ADC
Further to my last - you will also need to apply for it - it will not be automatic. Vets website has the details somewhere.

elovabloke

ADC
Adam(KOS) said:
What ever you do....Do NOT transfer it!! ( I did this to my cost :oops: )
Sorry to hear that mate.

In most cases never ever transfer a public sector pension.

ukray said:
Hi, one and all. :D
I did twelve years, in regular British Army, am I entitled to a pension?
When?

Prior to 1975, IIRC, there was no entitlement to a pension unless you had completed a full stretch.

Litotes

elovabloke said:
Adam(KOS) said:
What ever you do....Do NOT transfer it!! ( I did this to my cost :oops: )
Sorry to hear that mate.

In most cases never ever transfer a public sector pension.
Thanks. That was 20 years ago :roll: Legislation and awareness has changed since mind. The last 12 months has seen the value of my funds plummet by 40% :x

Litotes said:
Prior to 1975, IIRC, there was no entitlement to a pension unless you had completed a full stretch.

Litotes
I refer the good gentleman to:

Posted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:53 pm Post subject: Re: Pension.

Current Government rules state that anyone retiring after 5 April 1975, with at least 3 years service, can receive a pension when they reach 65.

Source RBL.

Above

elovabloke said:
Litotes said:

Litotes
I refer the good gentleman to:

Posted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:53 pm Post subject: Re: Pension.

Source RBL.

Above
@ elovabloke:
Agreed - though one should contact the PS&VA (formerly War Pensions Agency) for further information.

If you are unable to work due to disability you can claim your Armed Forces pension (in my day called a preserved pension) early - this is not the same as transferring your pension (so I would agree with Adam).

If you have served in more than one branch of the armed forces it might well be better to have the pensions paid separately as it could end in a higher pension depending on the amount of service and rank in each branch (so make sure you check out this option).

Bear in mind that receipt of pension early can result in loss of benefits in other areas (rent/council tax et al as some councils' assess the pension as 'unearned income'.

I turned 60 a few weeks ago :( and followed the rules and applied for my pension 3 months prior to my birthday, all went without a hitch. Done 21 years and got my graturity in the my bank account the day before my birthday and tomorrow should see the first of my pension payments :)

Jim