Pension Sharing Order and Remarriage

Discussion in 'Armed Forces Pension Scheme' started by Berlin_104s, Dec 13, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Morning all,

I was divorced last year and a pension sharing order was made. The ex-wife is now remarrying and as I understand it that kills the pension sharing order. Is there a mechanism by which I can have the pension share reinstated to my pension, or (as I suspect) is it lost to me forever?

Many thanks

2. I am afraid not Berlin. A Pension Sharing Order is a 'clean break mechanism' which means that both you and she are free to do what you like without an impact on the other in terms of pension. Once you have lost her 'share', I am sorry to have to tell you it is gone.

If it is any consolation, if she were to die, widower's pensions do no arise from a pension derived from a Pension Sharing Order.
  3. FPS,

If there is no Pension Sharing Order in place at divorce I understand that an ex-wife/husband is still entitled to a 'share' of the service person's pension. In that instance if they were to remarry would that entitlement cease?
  4. If the settlement was a 'clean break' it is very difficult for the other party to come back for some of your pension and these days courts like to sort things out in such a way as to save complications down the line. You need to tie your lawyer down as to the terms of the settlement.

Prior to the introduction of Pension Sharing Orders in the early 2000s orders such as Earmarking Orders were made and they were affected by death or remarriage of the other party.