Pension query

JoBrand

Swinger
Morning all, I’ll try and keep it short but I know you guys are quite knowledgable

Basically Hubby has been trying to find out how long the army has down for his time served. From our dates, if he signs off this year by the time he’s out next year at age 40, and having done 20 years he will qualify for his edp and lump sum, however he had a gap in his career of two years which is not showing up on jpa.

He’s gone down the usual route of rcmo, clerks, pension society but no one can actually tell him what they have down as him serving. He doesn’t want to sign off and be short of a couple months.

Who can he get in touch with to rectify this?

Cheers

Forces Pension Society

Sponsor
Sponsor
Only the Army would know what their records of his service say. If he wasn't paid, the service would not have counted as reckonable and you can bet that, when it comes to pension calculation time, the gap will show up and he will end up leaving with a preserved pension and no EDP.

You are going to have to insist, I'm afraid. There is a lot riding on this.

JoBrand

Swinger
Only the Army would know what their records of his service say. If he wasn't paid, the service would not have counted as reckonable and you can bet that, when it comes to pension calculation time, the gap will show up and he will end up leaving with a preserved pension and no EDP.

You are going to have to insist, I'm afraid. There is a lot riding on this.

Thank you, we have all the paperwork from his start day to when he first finished and then all the paperwork from him getting back in till present day. However the first few years he served are not showing in jpa

JoBrand

Swinger
Just to add, everyone that he’s talking to including veterans uk and jpac have all stayed they don’t hold this kind of information so it’s finding out who to query it with

Forces Pension Society

Sponsor
Sponsor
They can identify the gap between enlistment and the first day of basic training, so I am at a loss to know why they can't spot a 2 year gap.

I have just had a look at a copy of the Army Pension Warrant on MOD's website and it clearly says that Unpaid Leave doesn't count as reckonable or qualifying service (Article 140e applies) unless specifically granted elsewhere in the Warrant. May I ask (in broad terms) what the leave was for?

JoBrand

Swinger
He was disillusioned with the army at the time so he signed off, got out the army for two years to test the water then got back in.

Can he not do those 2 extra years? You did say 'If' he signs off. Lots on here have experience missing out for a matter of days on a full and instant pension. Obviously if circumstances are that another 2 years before giving notice prevents,then he will get a pension for exact reconnable service.

Forces Pension Society

Sponsor
Sponsor
Can he not do those 2 extra years? You did say 'If' he signs off. Lots on here have experience missing out for a matter of days on a full and instant pension. Obviously if circumstances are that another 2 years before giving notice prevents,then he will get a pension for exact reconnable service.

Doing the extra 2 years would be my inclination, too. Anything less than the 22yrs after age 18 will result in a preserved pension and no EDP (sorry to repeat myself). Further, did he aggregate his earlier service with his current service? If he didn't that will not count either.

I'm surprised JPAC can't work out his service. For your own piece of mind, the calculations will use the following dates, first day of service or 18th birthday, last day of service and any time spent unpaid. Due to his length of service and rejoin is he one these complicated chaps who are on 75,05 and 15 pension schemes? When is his current projected termination date?

^as said above. Has he aggregated his previous service?

JoBrand

Swinger
He re
I'm surprised JPAC can't work out his service. For your own piece of mind, the calculations will use the following dates, first day of service or 18th birthday, last day of service and any time spent unpaid. Due to his length of service and rejoin is he one these complicated chaps who are on 75,05 and 15 pension schemes?
He was on the 75 scheme when initially in for 8 years then rejoined in the 05 scheme, at this point he aggregated his preserved pension with his new scheme as was basically told he would get out after 22 years service with two preserved pensions both of which wouldn’t qualify for EDPs. JPAC said they don’t have access to that information and to talk to his career manager which he has done, however the RCMO department sent him basic information and pamphlets about the pension schemes but did not know how to acquire his reckonable service records

He did 8.5 years initially and been back in now for 11.5 years so by our reckoning by this time next year will have completed 21yrs, this is confused however by most of the first year he was 17
IIRC 05 counts pre18 service...

I'm on AFPS 75 my pension started aged 18. I did enlist as a Junior aged 15 and 9 months,that 2 years 3 months did not go towards my pension. I have no experience of either 05/15 schemes,however looking in from outside it seems very complicated another change not for the good. As I also found out regarding National Insurance being contracted out without my knowledge,or should I say not fully understanding as a 18 year old with the ammount of changes to Terms&Conditions that happen when you reach that age.
Good luck to the OP's partner and more inportant he gets the correct information,as it could have severe conciquences if he does not

Latest Threads