Pension Payments

Discussion in 'Finance, Property, Law' started by smeghead, Jun 13, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. How long after your discharge date should you expect your lump sum and first pension payment? The reason I ask is that my last day of service after 22 years was on 1st Jun 06 and I have still not received any money or correspondence from the Army Pensions Office, I haven't even received a reply or acknowledgement to the 3 e-mails I have sent them! Is this how I should expect to be treated now I'm an ex-serviceman?

Smeghead

2. Check with the Chief Clerk of your last unit. If they haven't completed the paperwork including the details of your final medical, whether all accounts are closed and the details of the account into which the money will be paid, and sent it all to Glasgow, nothing will happen.

If he/she is switched on, he will have kept a reocrd of when it was sent.

Litotes

3. I was merely attached for admin purposes but did complete 1809 etc with the Rear Party as the Regt was in IRAQ, have had my final pay statement and P45 so one would presume all the paperwork went to Glasgow?

Smeghead

4. I reckon you're pretty close Smeggy. I drew stumps 6 June and my lump sum was paid into the account 2 days later. I received my P45 / statement about a week beforehand (i.e. end May). As a soldier you don't have to apply for your pension (officers do!) so, as long as the paperwork is all in order, things should roll out in due course.

HOWEVER. Don't allow some slack civil servant to get away with it for too long. Give them 8-10 days and harass them mercilessly. That said, the paperwork I was handed concerning the money I was owed on discharge stated that they could (legally) take up to 30 days to pay the lump sum.

5. SN: I think you'll find that you will be sent some paperwork, not from Glasgow, that has to be returned to enable you to be paid your monthly pension.

Smeghead: You should receive it a few days after your termination leave finishes, if in doubt give Glasgow a call and they'll tell you when to expect the payment.

6. SN - are you commuting? After reading a few leaflets etc I'm led to believe it's not as straight forward as i thought it was?

Anyone got a contact number for APO?

Smeghead

7. The idiots in Glasgow erronously had my discharge date a month later than reality and wouldn't budge when I told them so, causing me to consider delaying a move abroad. I got round it by threatening to sue for the extra months wages + inconvienience etc etc.....

8. AFPAA(G)
    Joint Service pensions
    Mail Point 480
    Kentigern House
    Glasgow G2 8EX

0141 224 3600

afpaa-pensions-div@dial.pipex.com

Paymaster (1836) Ltd
    Paymaster
    Russell Way
    CRAWLEY
    West Sussex RH10 1UH

0870 1971510

Paymaster pays your pension. I was handed a leaflet 'Financial Aspects of Resettlement AFPS 75 and AFCS. Clearly you weren't.....

9. hmmm the dreaded 0870 rip off number, why am I not surprised! So AFPAA or Paymaster first? Did you have any problems commuting or didn't you bother?

Thanks for the help.

Smeghead

10. Don't worry about the 0870 number ripoff. I always use:

http://www.saynoto0870.com/search.php

put the number in (0870 1971510) and hit search - you'll find a standard rate number :D

11. Nice one! The standard rate number for anyone interested is:01293 560999. ;-)

Smeghead

12. Finally received the paperwork I should have received before my discharge date from AFPAA today, better late than never I suppose 8O No mention of commutation in there or how to apply for it, so I'm now going to have to write to them to get the form to apply for it, which is going to delay me receiving it even longer now :x

Smeghead

13. Smeggy - commutation paperwork should follow - but chase up if you're in a hurry. You will be given the option to apply for commutation for up to 12 months after discharge. So, unless you need the cash quickly, you can afford to wait. I'm still weighing up the pros and cons and there's a thread somewhere here about just that.

Good luck.

14. I've read the thread about commutation and I do want/need to commute, but i knew that before reading it, I'm just pi$$ed off things didn't happen in the timescale they say the will, then again after 24 years service in the RAPC and AGC should I really be surprised by anything involving Glasgow!!!!

Smeghead

15. Got my lump sum today :D Just got to get the commutation done now and jobs a good'n.

Smeghead