Pension from 1969

Discussion in 'Armed Forces Pension Scheme' started by SixBadges, Oct 11, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

  1. A friend of a friend was in the forces from 1959 to 1969. As he is now of retirement age, is he entitled to a pension?

    Where can he find out more information, and (if eligible) where should he apply?
  2. 6B,

    Under both the current scheme, introduced in 2005, and the previous scheme, introduced in 1975, your friend would be entitled to a preserved pension at age 65/60. I'm not sure what the system prior to 75 would provide but he should get an answer (or pointed in the right direction) on the following No:

    08000853600 - (option 1).

  3. The Preserved Pension scheme was not introduced until 1975, therefore unfortunately your friend is not eligible for any pension benefits from the Armed Forces as he did not serve the required years service for a pension at the time of his discharge. (in 1969 he would have to have served 22 years as an OR or 16 years as an officer to get a service pension).
  4. I was disgusted to hear about this a few years ago when I tried to find out for my dad who served 1955-64. Not a fcuking bean, they care more about illegals, scroungers and Chavs and leave people who bothered to serve on the bread line in there retirement. :x
  5. I've mentioned this situation a couple of times on ARRSE but no-one has ever followed it up. I served 1958-1973 and all I got was a £500 gratuity when I left. There is a campaign going on ,and has been for several years, to get the position reversed but it would appear that we are fighting a parliament full of lawyers who can twist and turn like eels to avoid doing anything about it.