Pension Entitlement?

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by yorkie_999uk, Dec 15, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Good morning all.

Apologies if this is in the wrong place. I am trying to find out on behalf of my old man, if he is entitled to any sort of pension.

He served just under 9yrs as an infanteer, leaving in 77.

As far as i know he has been told he is entitled to nowt as he bought himself out before his 9yrs.

I know that this is minimal info guys, but hopefully you will be able to shed any light as to yay or nay and i'll persue it further.

Thanks in advance for any info

2. Yorkie, from the SPVA webiste

Service Preserved Pensions
    Prior to 06 April 1975 there was no provision for a preservation of pension benefits and service personnel who left the Armed Forces had to have completed 16 years from age 21 (Officers) or 22 years from age 18 (Other ranks). Those who left before that date without completing the above criteria, lost all pension entitlement.

The rules changed on 06 April 1975 to provide for pensions to be preserved for payment at age 60 for all those discharged over the age of 26 with a minimum of 5 years service. The age criterion was dropped 31 Mar 1978 and on 06 April 1988, the qualifying period was reduced from 5 to 2 years. Preserved pensions have to be claimed at age 60 (or at age 65 if your service began after 5 April 2006). However, you can claim your preserved pension sooner if you become permanently incapacitated.

phone JPAC on 0141 224 3600
  3. Thanks Smoggy
    Shall give them a call and see what the chat is
  4. I have a preserved pension after 14 years service which is due in a couple of years. The problem I have is I'm currently unemployed and because I've run out of JSA I cannot claim the next JSA which is income based as the wife is claiming a pension so she has to claim pension credit.

The DWP is full of numpties, we tell them I cannot have my preserved pension until I'm 60 over and over and they still don't believe us so now we have to wait for a form and send it of to RE manning & Records before any benefit is paid.

So what are we supposed to do meantime? The wife only gets £136 pension and we still have to pay Council tax and Mortgage until this is sorted, by then the overdraft will be in excess of £900.

I cleared all debt last year with my redundancy from my last job, the DWP has successfully put me back into debt. Never mind I need to lose a couple of stone anyway.

Sorry to deviate from the question on this thread.