Pension entitlement

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by tingbat, Sep 3, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

  1. Hi,

    I'm on need of a little advice, if possible, please.

    I'm a SSAFA caseworker, and have just had an urgent case handed to me tonight. I'm not after money, hence not contacting your charity, but I need to tell my client something (anything?) tomorrow, and as it's weekend, everyone's gone home.

    So, if you have been a partner to someone for 41 years, but not married to them, are you entitled to access their service pension when they die? My client has been told yes, then no. Understandably, she's a bit teary and upset about the whole thing as she was bereaved not long ago, hence the need to give her some fairly fast answers.

    I know that I need to speak to the relevant people when they come back on Monday, but I was hoping someone on here could help in the interim.

    Thanks in advance, and apologies if this should be in the charities/welfare section.
  2. Have you tried the SPVA website? If they are on the old pension ie AFPS75, I think thats the number,the new one is 05,on death of the pensioner you are to let the pension people know as there is no entitlement. I have only been getting my pension for two years and remember reading it when I got all the bumpf on leaving the mob.
  3. SLE

    SLE Swinger

    If her partner was on AFPS 75 pension terms which, looking at the length of the relationship is likely, then the answer is no, unless the cause of death can be attributed to his service. Link below.

    If on AFPS 05 pension terms then the likelihood is that she is entitled to some benefits. Link below.
  4. Cheers chaps!

    I thought that would be the case. I think it'll be a case of seeing what the ben fund will donate in this case.

    Thanks again.
  5. A partner for 41 years ? How long was the deceased do in the military & when ? Unlikely to be covered by the 75 or 05 scheme I'm afraid.