Pension before the 22 yr point?

Discussion in 'Armed Forces Pension Scheme' started by askar-perisikan, Jul 24, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I asked this question to the unit Pay clerk and got a blank look. A WO1 commissions with just over two years left to his 22yr point, and decides that commissioned life isn't for him after all. If he resigns his commision before the 22yr point, what happens to his pension? Does he get 21/22ths of the pension straight away, does he get nothing until retirement age because he did not complete his 22, or some other permutation?. I only ask on behalf of a, a-ahem, friend :oops:
  2. I know that an RAF Officer (under AFPS 75) has to complete 16 years/until age 38 (whichever is later) for an immediate pension.

IF the Army system is the same, and IF you transfer to that TOS on commission then in theory you should be able to leave with a pension at the 16/38 point.

However - this is NOT my area of expertise, don't sign off on my say-so, but it should be a starting point at least.
  3. You must complete 22 years service - 20 odd years as an NCO and a few months as an officer is not good enough. It must be 22, to qualify for an officer's pension you must complete 6 years in an LE capacity.

This is why you can commision at 34 as an NCO, but had to serve 6 years and an LE before you could qualify.

Note: The LE commisioning rules have changed now, but it does not displace the requirement under the old pension scheme for a full 22 years return.
  4. Sorry, but this is wrong. I used to do pensions, but it was 7 years ago+ and I cant lay my hand on any documentation. Basically for offiers commisioned from the ranks, you are entitled to the better of either your soldiers pension, or your officers pension (usually, after only a few years commisioned service, Officers is better). Soldiers get an Immediate pension after 22 yrs reckonable service from age 18. therefore in your scenario, the person would not qualify for an soldiers pension. Officers qualify for an immediate pension after 16 years reconable service from age 21. therefore, assuming that your "person" joined at 18, and is now 38 (you said 2 years to serve) then he would be entitled to an officers pension under the pvr rates for 16 or 17 years service.

Very general I know. but basically do not listen to me or anyone else on the forums (there is to much money at stake), if you cannot get the advice from your RAO, go directly to the Pensions help desk at Glasgow
  5. Check one of the other threads and PM pay mistri allways seems to have good info

6. This is correct according to the Army Commisioning Regulations 1999.

7 years ago + means that you may not have been aware, although I am more than willing to stand corrected on the matter.
  7. IT_Geek,

I disagree with you and agree with Sammy! Under the old system, you must complete 22 years to get the pension paid immediately. To move onto the commissioned service pension scale, one must complete 6 years of commissioned service. If you quit before then, the subsequent pension will be enhanced for the commissioned service, as long as you have completed 22 years. If you do not complete 22 years, the pension will be paid at age 60 IIRC, although you will receive the resettlement grant. I have heard of WOs being commissioned fairly young and throwing teddy in the corner a couple of years later. Be warned; there is no way back. You leave without the pension!

Sammy is wrong, IMHO, when he wrote that the LE commissioning rules have changed. They have but that does not affect the pension. The new pension requires that all personnel serve until they have served either 18 years or reached the age of 40 before drawing the intermediate pension. There is no difference between the rate at which the commissioned officer and the soldier accrues a pension in the new scheme.

8. How is it wrong - Is this not what I said in my initial reply?
  9. This answer is based on AFPS 75.

Article 42 of the Pay Warrant states:

"When an officer who was appointed to a regular, special regular or short service commission after serving on a regular engagement in the ranks is permitted to retire at his own request, notwithstanding that he may have completed 16 years reckonable service, he shall not be eligible for an award of retired pay under Article 50 unless he has completed at least 5 years commissioned service. He may, however, provided he has completed 2 years commissioned service, be awarded a preserved pension under Articles 44 and 54. Alternatively, he may, provided he has the necessary reckonable service, be awarded a pension under Article 145 or 147 at Warrant Officer Class 1 rates, based on his total reckonable service as if he had remained in the ranks. This award may be replaced at age 60 by an officer's rate of preserved pension if it would be to his advantage."

So, based on your original post, your "Friend" would only get an immediate pension if he completes a total of 22 years service, otherwise it will be a preserved one.

Of course all this is dependant on which pension scheme he is signed up to.
  10. Cheers for the advice. I think my 'friend' has had a reality check and will be around for another year or so!! :roll: