Pension Added Years

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by downunder87, Apr 21, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Does anyone know the rules governing added years on your pension, I have asked my Clerk but it doesn't seem to know. Is it restricted to officers or can anyone do it, how does it work, what forms would I need to fill out. I checked the mod website about the matter but the haven't written it in plain english.
  2. This subject is complex and difficult to understand because the Government doesn't want to lose too much money!

Once upon a time, each unit had a Paymaster who knew of such matters, but...

You need to find a financial advisor who knows about the military system - and you will have to pay for that expertise.

3. elovabloke

elovabloke LE Moderator

As the man says. The only way to go.

I was turned off added years as I understood (which means I could be wrong) that the added years part of the pension died with you if you were unfortunate enough to pop your clogs early like.
  4. Google in "armed forces pensions" that will bring up the site you need, AFPS75 and all the info you should need hopefully.
  5. This is not true. The added years bought automatically increases any dependants benefits. Also, were you to "pop your clogs" while serving, or discharge medically, your Added Years are considered to be paid up in full, meaning you or your dependants get the full benefit of the added years you were buying.
  6. That's true, I am the Paymaster and I do understand. It depends which system you are on 75/05? However the rules are very complicated and are generally a one time offer only, ie if you start you cannot stop. Did you join late, how many years are you hoping to make up?
  7. I tried to do it for a few years after joining late, got sick to the TiTs with brick walls and cold shoulders, gave up in the end and invested in property....yikes!