Peninsular War battlefield touring - recommend me a book or two please

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by dogs_bollox, Dec 16, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Son and I plan to head down into Portugal and Spain with an intention to tour the battlefields where Wellington cut his teeth.

I've found one book on Amazon but it seems to have more negative reviews than positive. It's this one :

The Peninsular War: A Battlefield Guide (Battleground)

And this one was supposed to be coming out last June but still says it is coming out soon .........

The Peninsular War - Wellington's Battlefields Revisited

If anyone could recommend me one - preferably based on having used one themselves ...... would be much appreciated.

Having recently watched the late great Prof Richard Holmes' 3-part documentary on the life of Wellie and the footage of some of the battle sites today, it looks like and interesting tour to undertake.

2. DB

One of my last postings in the Army was to the NATO HQ in Valencia. My boss at the time an Artillery Colonel, was in the process of writing the Peninsular war up. He held loads of tours and we met Richard Holmes on many occasions. If you look for his book the Peninsular War Atlas, published by Osprey. Hope this helps.
  3. As suggested above the ONLY book you really need is The Peninsular War Atlas by Nick Lipscombe, its a belter and available on Amazon at cheap price.
  4. Scarletto

As a former Scarlet Lancer myself, the book may be a belter, I'm hoping the author (Nick) has at least mentioned my contribution to the scheme, have you got a copy?
  5. I did have, my nephew has it in his clutches at the moment, along with some other Penisular stuff. His acknowledgments are fairly extensive iirc
  6. It's a funny thing this website, whenever I'm thinking something, someone on here puts up a post relevant to those thoughts. The names of some of those battles etched on Riflemen's brains will be pegging up their bicentennials next year.
  7. Great stuff guys. Thanks for the recommendation. Just ordered it from Amazon.
  8. So did I, so cheers DB.
  9. Soggy4978

Soggy4978 Old-Salt Book Reviewer

'The Peninsular War' by Charles Esdaile is spectacular. As is 'War of Wars' by Robert Harvey (although that covers the entire period from French Revolution to Waterloo, rather than just the Peninsular War).
  10. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

A couple more books for my library....

This trip is on my to do list. Thought about doing it on the mountain bike, no idea it that is feasible.

Would be good if you could take a few notes and post some do's and dont's when you get back in your trip report.

11. Soggy4978

Soggy4978 Old-Salt Book Reviewer

Mountain bike?! Pah! Tab it out in poorly repaired hobnailed shoes and gaiters with a load of promisary notes / forged silver coin to exchange for food. It'll add to the realism.
    • Like Like x 1