Peninsular Battlefields - Taking Suggestions

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by nobbyd, May 24, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. After visiting the Battlefields of Talavera and Badajoz (the new memorial at Talavera turns out to be a gay dogging hotspot - when I found out the disrepectful twat with his cock out that "educated" me measured his length before I Foxtrot Oscar'd), and crossing the Lines of Torre Vedras during February's (working? barely) trip to Portugal; tomorrow I'll be in Valladolid for about an hour before turning round and coming back.

Taking suggestions for which battlefield to stop off at. Burgos is right on the route, Vitoria is spitting distance, Pamplona wouldn't add too many extra K's; Zaragoza is on the route as well (but I try not to stop there), and Lerida only had a seige, plus I've been there already as it, like Zaragoza, is on the well driven Barcelona -> Madrid -> Barcelona route.

Any suggestions for any less well known sites that are between Barcelona and Valladolid?

2. Almeida? Oh no, Sharpe blew it up ...

3. That, and also if I was going that far off the route, I'd be going to Salamanca

4. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

Sahagun is an hour and a half's drive from Valladolid. Unique small skirmish. One under-strength cavalry regiment (15th Hussars) slaughtered a French cavalry brigade for loss of two dead 21 December 1808. Sole recipients of the battle honour SAHAGUN, celerbated since as primary regimental day of 15H, 15/19H and Light Dragoons.

5. And B Battery 1st Regiment Royal Horse Artillery.?

6. Right, that's where I'm going then - most of the route there is the route I need to take back to Barcelona anyway, so no big dramas from Long Haired Sunray because I'm a day late getting back.

Cheers, pics to follow (assuming I find something pic-worthy)

• Like Like x 1
  7. Corunna see where Sir John Moores men held firm against Marshall Soult then onto San Marcial.

8. That's one of the biggies I need to get to, but time won't permit tomorrow. I'm going for Sahagun - pretty much on the route, and one of the lesser known sites so worthy of a visit and quiet moment as I'm fairly sure it doesn't happen very often.

9. AlienFTM

I honestly look forward to seeing pics of the latter-day Sahagun. (I could travel over the water and see for meself but these days that to me means the Severn estuary into Wales.)

10. AlienFTM

Sahagun is the best place start the move to Corunna cos Sahagun was the last positive action of the Corunna campaign and that's where the retreat started. You could take in all the sites worthy of the retreat, including the river Esla (which 15H crossed again on 31 May 1813, aiding 51st Foot in a troubled crossing, resulting in an affiliation between LI and LD ever since. See Esla - 1813 ).

11. Sadly not worth a visit. Sir John Moore's grave is an absolute disgrace. Broken slabs surround it and the stone sarcophagus itself is broken.

12. Unfortuntely, time went against me completely and I had to hotfoot back to Barcelona. However, I will be making a point of going there after my next trip to Madrid or when I have to go backto Portugal, and making sure I leave a day free just for that.

Does anyone have any map overlays? From the short time I had to put stuff together, comparing a small battlefield map I found on the web with roads on Google earth, it looks as though the site is pretty much where the industrial estate is now. Of course, actually being there and seeing the lie of the land would be better, but I didn't get that far

Cheers

13. Sounds like a cue for an Arrse trip to tidy up for the man. Any RE brickies up for it if I can get the materials together?