Pencil Flares / Signal Flares - where can i buy them?

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by onfire, Jan 7, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. As an all round kayaker, i recognise that there are times that i am more danger, and am more removed from immediate help than is always comfortable - like paddling out to Tusker Rock in the Bristol Channel ... equally, as a Public Services, and Outdoor Activities lecturer, there are times that radios dont work because of terrain, disatnce etc and flares could be a useful communication tool - endex etc - but obviously require colours other than red!

I wish i had 'misplaced' the dinky green packs of pencil flares while i was still in, but i cannot find anywhere in civvy street that sells them, or similar packs

any ideas please? thanks
  2. maninblack

maninblack LE Book Reviewer

Any decent chandlers sell little packs of Pains Wessex Miniflares pencil flares.

A quick google on the above shows up people like this who ship in the UK

3. BBear

BBear LE Reviewer

not sure if they're like the wee flares, but proper boating shops do sell them - a mates dad has a cat, he has shite load of flares. I asked him (this was last june time?) and he said some boating catalogue. If you'd like I could ask him specifically for you?
  4. Got any mates still serving who could " AHEM" borrow some for you ? There used to be a little walt type shop under the arches at Charing Cross station that sold them and other types of flares. Sadly this is now a poncey wine bar. If I was you I,d check out a sailing type shop as surely flares are essential bits of kit for people who go to sea.

Regards LT.
  5. well, buggr me senseless - thanks all. i tried google but drew a blank (wrong choice of keywords i suppose) just got loads of kitlists for diving. HARRY - fat fatherless ... im in character - honestly!! thanks for the links
  6. our mini signal flares were signed in and out as securely as weapons, we were told at the time that this was because the firing mechanism could be modified to take a .22 round.

I'm sure there are easier ways to shoot a small round inaccurately
  7. jam a round in the jaws of a vice, then hit the cap with a hammer and nail - then apply for a new set of eyebrows and fingers ... apparently!
  8. not quite as portable though is it?
  9. I suppose they could be modded to take a .22. But I,d never wanna be the mug fireing the tw@t !!!!!!! We used to get them dished out quite liberally on exersises. Great fun firing one down the tunnels & sewers at Whinny Hill. You never saw people fcukin crawl so fast in your life . Someone also managed to set fire to a Bedford canopy with one once. Memorys , mammaries !!!

Regards LT.
  10. from what I could find you can only get hold of red now and there's something somewhere about a firearms license... tread carefully
  11. Its always fun to 'bounce' the mini flares off lakes.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Schermuly parachute flares are the best - especially in the direct fire role with chute removed. Allegedly.
    • Like Like x 1