Pen Y Fan

Discussion in 'Sports, Adventure Training and Events' started by Cait, Apr 18, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. In the middle of organsing a trip for myself & several others to Wales and apart from alcohol, vomit, poo & sheep, we intended to walk/climb Pen Y Fan.

Has anybody climbed it from the North instead of taking the route past the visitors centre??

How did you fair, is it worth doing, any hints tips routes that might help?

2. I climbed PEN Y FAN in 1968 as a boy soldier
    it nearly killed me
    I think we called it heartbreak hill
    I know we went the rout that none normaly takes
    Have fun
    I didnt
    8O
    Stu

3. Climbed it when I was 13. Scouts.

Ever since I've wanted to climb the more challenging routes but my studies give me enough time to get there.

Bloody exams.

:evil:

4. RTFQ

RTFQ RIP

The north side is a bit of a bitch to do with weight on. It's been a while since I did it (96) and we were on a bit of a beast. It was icy in march, don't know about now and we needed ice axes for a bit of purchase at a couple of points. It was also fricking exposed and the old sweat who took us up there gave us a no-bollox brief about the need to shelter casualties immediately if they went down as it was so cold and wet - add wind chill and it's a killer for an immobile cas. It's not climbing but it is a steep scramble. Don't take novices, don't wear 70lbs of fcukaround on your back and don't do it with a bunch of hungover people who just want an interesting/challenging breath of fresh air - Penyfan is as tough as you want it to be if you go up the beaten track fast enough.

I've looked at the map and I can't remember the route we went, but to be honest I was following the bergan in front for most of the way, trying to stop my vital organs fall out of my arrse. Best off speaking to the guys at Plas y Brenin, they're in Snowdonia but they're an alright bunch who'll point you in the right direction. Don't make sheep noises or they'll get all tantric.

They're at www.pyb.co.uk

5. went up pen y fan as a cadet once
    it was like the royal tournament on top
    some guys came up to the summit and ran straight down looking very warry
    met up with them later not looking half as warry :twisted:

6. What do you mean by the route from the north? There is the roman track that takes you between Cribyn and Fan y big, you can follow that up as far as it goes, before descending towards the reservoir, leave the track at this point, and ascend to the top of Cribyn. From there, its an easy traverse over to the summit of Pen y fan. The other route is from "The Storey Arms" and follow everyone else. The route straight up the north face is probably not for the faint hearted, and should only be attempted by the competent and experienced. I'm sure I am preaching to the converted when I say that the Beacons should not be underestimated. People can and do die up there, and if you should get into trouble, and require the services of the mountain rescue team, you will be expected to show your appreciation by getting the beers in, which could set you back a couple of hundred quid! 8O :D
    Good luck!

7. RTFQ

RTFQ RIP

I think she means the actual 'best climbing lederhosen on' climb/scramble guns of navarrone style ascent. Like you say sleeps, not for the faint-hearted. you can traverse quite a bit and sort of zig zag up, but you've got ask yourself (like one does everytime around there) why, when there's a perfectly good pub down the road, should you put yerself through it?

8. Sorry Sleeps, bit like RTFQ said i was looking for some info on routes north side that might be a bit more of a scramble, rather than a bimble up the troden path with the masses in their matching Berghaus jackets & gators.

I would be the novice compared to others going. I just wanted to get an opinion from the masses who will have tackled it before.

Beer always tastes better when you've worked for it and i fully intend to get shwallied after, plus Sgt Slingsby will be there :D

9. X-Inf

X-Inf War Hero Book Reviewer

Like Martin245 I climbed Pen y Fan as a boy soldier, many, many moons ago. I did not ask to do this but was invited 8O by the training staff to do so. Always something good to look back on. I was certainly much younger and a lot fitter than now :!:

As Sleeps & RTFQ are trying to say, give the mountain a lot of respect, it is no joke if the weather closes in.

If it is fine weather then there is no reason why you should not enjoy the climb/walk.

10. RTFQ

RTFQ RIP

Utter nonsense (or Nonce-Sense, does anyone remember that?). Beer tastes better when you've nicked it from your bezzer while he's gone for an emergency dump as if he's Paula after a night on the Guinness and 21 miles. It tastes BEST when you're slurping it from the punch-bags of the stunner he's been chatting up (and buying drinks for) all night.

11. The actual north pace of the Fan is very steep and more like a scree/grassy cliff. I am from the area and as far as I am aware there is no actual path and I don't recollect even seeing any sheep on this side. There is nowhere to put protection and if it is even mildly damp you will not be able to get enough grip - if you slip you slide all the way to the bottom! Coupled with this the scree is very loose and you could easily dislodge something big and nasty to hit those below you. This is a very dangerous route and I would not recomend attempting it. Also bear in mind that it is a concave slope - i.e. it gets steeper the further you go up and it doesn't level out until you reach the top.

12. Ah, I see. In that case, by all means, go for the north face Cait, and please post some pictures of yourself in your best climbing lederhosen. :wink: But if you REALLY want a challenge, sod Wales, head for Cape Wrath, and an ascent of the 1000(ish)ft sea cliffs. If you time it right, you will have the added fun of hearing the RN sending rounds downrange, OVER YOUR HEAD! Now thats what I call fun! :D

13. This Cape Wrath? Looks, erm, fun! 8O

14. Thats right Dozy, its more fun than being the adjudicator inside the vehicle when they attempt to break the "how many cheerleaders can we squeeze inside a Volkswagon Beetle" world record. 8O :wink:

15. RTFQ

RTFQ RIP

[quote="Sleeper_service

Thats right Dozy, its more fun than being the adjudicator inside the vehicle when they attempt to break the "how many cheerleaders can we squeeze inside a Volkswagon Beetle" world record. 8O :wink:[/quote]

17, if you include one very happy RTFQ and a very angry mini RTFQ. The number decreases rapidly when the little guy starts spitting at them though.