Pellet gun teacher sent to prison

:roll: :roll: :roll:

proportional sentencing et al?

Need i say more?

A special needs teacher who fired a pellet gun at youths she claimed had vandalised her house has been jailed for six months.

Linda Walker, 48, was "ranting and raving like a lunatic" when she fired the gun, a court had heard.

Walker, of Hollyhouse Drive, Urmston, Gtr Manchester, was convicted of affray and possessing a firearm with intent to cause fear or violence.

She said she was under stress at the time of the incident on 14 August 2004.

Walker claimed a campaign of vandalism by "yobbos" had driven her to fire the gun at the feet of a gang of teenagers she confronted near her home.

The teacher of children with behavioural difficulties at New Park School, Salford, had kept the gun in her underwear drawer for four months since her shed was burgled.

I've got an air rifle and a pistol and I'm going to shoot the vandals that come around here

She had also received nuisance phone calls abusing her 17-year-old son James while her other son Craig's car had been vandalised.

Fish had been stolen from her pond and her garden ornaments were thrown over a wall, her trial heard.

The final straw came when a washing-up liquid bottle full of water was emptied over her son's car, she said.

She went outside to confront the youths and, in a phone call to police, said: "I'm going over to that field over the road, I've got an air rifle and a pistol and I'm going to shoot the vandals that come around here."

Walker fired the pistol at the road near the feet of Robert McKiernan, 18.

Walker was sentenced at Manchester's Minshull St Crown Court on Tuesday to six months for possessing the firearm and one month for affray. The sentences will run concurrently.

Her 56-year-old partner, John Cavanagh, was cleared of affray last month.

Walker's defence barrister, Farrhat Ashad, said she admitted she had acted in a "very unfortunate" manner but had been under stress through work at the time.

"She thought her family, which was supposed to be safe, was being attacked," she added.

Mrs Walker over stepped the line and attacked a group in an unprovoked, disproportionate manner
Det Sgt Frank Hayley, GMP

Her employer, Salford City Council, said she was suspended from her teaching job and would now face disciplinary action.

Greater Manchester Police (GMP) said there was no "particular problem" with anti-social behaviour in the Urmston area and insisted there was "no evidence" to suggest the Walkers had been targeted for abuse by youths.

"While we support homeowners protecting themselves in line with the recent ACPO and CPS guidelines, Mrs Walker overstepped the line and attacked a group in an unprovoked, disproportionate manner," said Det Sgt Frank Hayley, of Trafford CID.

"The use of a firearm was an extreme reaction and Greater Manchester Police will not tolerate the use of such a weapon on the street, irrespective of the offender's justification."

Airgun teacher jailed

Ahhhh another fine descision by our justice system. :roll:

Unprovoked my arrse. She's cleaning up the filth the government should be. :!:

Mr_Fingerz

LE
Book Reviewer
She fired a weapon at a group of people who were not threatening her, or her property.

Firearms offenses and affray. Six months doesn't seem disporoprtionate. If she behaves, she'll be home in three.

Okay, used a weapon in public and aimed in the direction of other people. Did wrong, got caught, doing time.

But, if she was suffering such intimidation for so long why was the system so full of holes that they got away with it for so long? If the right systems are in place and the kids could be 'clipped around the ear' or some such, then it wouldn't have got so far as she ended up in court.

the police seemed to have turned a blind eye to the youth problems "there is no evidence of youth disorder etc " bollocks

This is what should have happened to thet cretin up in Scotland a long time before he killed that child.
She just snapped and went off shooting on spec, just the kind of thing that the Americans are regularly criticised for doing on this very site
. As an airgunner I have no real sympathy at all because this sort of thing only serves to strengthen the prohibitionists.

What has been almost totally missing in the debate on the TV & on here is why the scrotes who had been terrorising her (which this pair may or may not have been) had gotten away with it for so long! If she is genuinely a Sp.Ed. teacher, she will have the patience of the Gods - so it must have been pretty serious for her to snap.

What has the state of law and order got to in the UK?

PREDICTION: Over the next 10 years, if nothing changes, more & more ordinary and otherwise law-abiding people will acquire lookalike airguns / real illegal handguns for personal protection, and more & more of this will happen, and more & more scrotes who should be in school/borstal/HMP will get injured/killed. And whose fault will it be? The government's. Those wise old sages [ahem] who took away our right to personal protection, and replaced it with a collective idea (for it is but an idea) that "the police will protect you". </rant>

B

Biscuits_AB

Now, if she'd taken my advice on an earlier thread and bought herself a balclava..........

Biscuits_AB said:
Awol said:
Biscuits_AB said:
Now, if she'd taken my advice on an earlier thread and bought herself a balclava..........
My advice Biscuits, my advice.
Yeah OK,but I did explain how it could be used to great effect.
Biscuits... the font of all guerila warfare type knowledge! :D

I have to agree with stoatman on this. If she is a special needs teacher, she must have the patience of angels, and therefore it must have been exceptional harrasment that she and her family underwent. Therefore, it leads me to ask, what were the police doing to stop them from making her life a living hell?

Granted, she got the majority of her sentence for possessing a dangerous weapon with intent to injure, but still, im sure the judge could have used some leniency in light of the circumstances.

Who thinks this will be used as another argument for banning airguns?

A_S

She got six months inside for firing the pellets into the ground by her feet in frustration as she was face to face with the sneering little shite. We are not talking the Washington Sniper here. Just goes to show that the world really has turned upside down.

BB pellets?

If she'd thrown stones at them she could have hurt them a good deal more but she wouldn't have been jailed for a 'firearms' offence.

There's something wrong with the way that objects are imbued with greater 'power' than they actually possess, simply because they resemble a more lethal artifact...

Now, if she'd been on target with some .45 ACP 230gr ball, starting at 820fps, there might have been a case to answer...

...But then I'd have to aquit her on the grounds that de-chaving the neighbourhood ranks as performing a public service in my book! :lol:

I agree with most people so far. What she did was wrong and she was jailed for firearms offences etc. All of which is okay - on the face of things.

But as mentioned by others, where were the police previously? Her shed had been burgled, one of her sons bullied and the other sons car vandalised. That contradicts Manchester Polices statement that there was 'no evidence of youth disorder' etc.

Add to that the fact that all the neighbours who spoke to TV stations expressed sympathy towards the convicted woman and said 'it; had been going on too long already. Whatever 'it' is (not youth disorder, if the Police are to be believed!!), it is not being even acknowledged by plod, much less dealt with. And there in lies the problem for all of us.

I am a law abiding citizen who supports the Police, but what I see contradicts what the police says. And when that starts happening, the breakdown of law and order (which we do already have), begins to accelerate. If you don't catch it, then you have REAL problems. I am remembering something a public figure said a while back. How did it go?..... 'Tough on crime tough on the cause' or something? Now, who was it who said that?

Sorry I have no sympaphy for Linda Walker, as a Teacher she is a pillar of the community and should of known better.

Going by the press she had recieved nuisance calls, a threat of rape and her son was called a poof. Her car and garden were vandalised. She finally snapped after a washing up bottle of water was tipped over here sons car.

She then pulled the air pistol and fired shots at the yobs.

The intent was there (what if a real handgun had been available) its only a few weeks since another lunatic killed a baby with an air rifle while shooting at fireman.

This will be more "ammo" for the anti gun lobby and more kneejerking towards legislation against gun ownership.

Look at it this way, would you be happy to find out that your kids were shot at just becuase they were little c*nts.

Be realistic, her sentence is justified and failing in local policing did not warrant her use of force.

she didn`t fire at the chavs ,the weapon was unloaded. if the idle plods had done thier job this wouldn`t have got this far .a bit like the 2 dozy tawts in liverpool who got caught on cctv tape saying "what do you want us to do?" after turning up at an attemped robbery at an offy

Disco said:
Sorry I have no sympaphy for Linda Walker, as a Teacher she is a pillar of the community and should of known better.

Going by the press she had recieved nuisance calls, a threat of rape and her son was called a poof. Her car and garden were vandalised. She finally snapped after a washing up bottle of water was tipped over here sons car.

She then pulled the air pistol and fired shots at the yobs.

The intent was there (what if a real handgun had been available) its only a few weeks since another lunatic killed a baby with an air rifle while shooting at fireman.

This will be more "ammo" for the anti gun lobby and more kneejerking towards legislation against gun ownership.

Look at it this way, would you be happy to find out that your kids were shot at just becuase they were little c*nts.

Be realistic, her sentence is justified and failing in local policing did not warrant her use of force.
So, you keep kicking the sh*t out of the 'pillars of the community' and how long before that community comes crashing down?

A custodial sentence with such obvious mitigation is wholly inappropriate in my view. The little sh*ts should be caught by the police (when the lefty useless government allows them to actually stop crime rather than get sued by criminals), taken to the Beacons and beasted until they cry!

She was not sent down because she discharged an air pistol or acted in a threatening manner.

She was sent down because she tried to take the law into her own hands and that is the most serious aspect of the situation in the eyes of the authorities.

If a crime is committed against an individual then the authorities are far less concerned than if someone attempts to usurp the role of the state, regardless of how incompetently such authority is wielded by the state or what provocation or threats are made to the aggrieved party.