Peky ads again

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I am having a problem with an ad which is jumping in and pushing the photo on the home page down the page, see below:

Pageview 170213.png

Any chance of please fixing this PITA before the elections for Moderator ?

Just a question: does it appear when your cursor hovers over an underlined word, and has the odd word here and there started appearing underlined, when previously they would likely not have been?

Command_doh

LE
Book Reviewer
I had a 'request to log-in' pop-up in the middle of my screen earlier today. I didn't know what it was for, but there are loads of different login screens I have to use at work, and I didn't see it appear. It looked very much like 2 of my login screens, so I clicked on it. Bet you can guess what happened next? XXX Military dating?

Thanks a ******* lot! My workplace web-washer stat's really need to show me looking at 'XXX dating sites'. That will look great if they review my browser history.

Ad's are Ad's, we get it. But invasive pop-ups? Taking the piss...

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Just a question: does it appear when your cursor hovers over an underlined word, and has the odd word here and there started appearing underlined, when previously they would likely not have been?
No just appeared when I went in to my homepage. Hope I don't get a grilling from GCO again!

This is happening to me constantly and it is getting on my nerves.

Anyone else seeing "bleed-over" from Amazon.com ads? If I click n the next page number (e.g. I'm on Page 2 and click the box with "3" to go to the third page), An Amazon.com page opens instead. This happens mainly on my tablet (Toshiba Thrive), even when zoomed in and carefully selected.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Seems to have gone now, did nothing at all either.

Thanks for all the info and feedback. Just working my way through.

Sorry about that. I've made the changes to cure this so it should shortly stop happening.

There are a few link rewrites that I don't have control over though which you will still get - they are mainly links to RVOps that are automatically generated on keywords like Lowa Boots. They are passive in that it just makes a link - nothing more.

Anyone else seeing "bleed-over" from Amazon.com ads? If I click n the next page number (e.g. I'm on Page 2 and click the box with "3" to go to the third page), An Amazon.com page opens instead. This happens mainly on my tablet (Toshiba Thrive), even when zoomed in and carefully selected.
Doesn't sound good - could you take a screenshot please (press volume down and power at exactly the same time for about half a second) as I'm not clear on what's happening

AY, I think you probably have malware as I don't see how that's happening otherwise. Also that top ad looks very unlike a respectable Google ad to me, and added to that there should be nothing buy gallery images and for another couple of weeks Bupa ads in there. It is normally gallery only.

I've given you an ad-free subscription which will remove all ads from the site and the Android app.

On that subject I will be looking at lowering the price of this to encourage more people to use it, and also possibly merge it with the donations system. Possibly the subject of a separate thread.

Any more ad problems please let me know. They're critical to us, but they shouldn't interfere with usability or break pages.

(Good CO in testing mode)

Doesn't sound good - could you take a screenshot please (press volume down and power at exactly the same time for about half a second) as I'm not clear on what's happening
GCO - I would, but there's nothing to show with a screen shot. It simply seems to intepret the "select page box" as if I had clicked on an Amazon.com ad. It's not consistent or readily reproducible, but happens fairly regularly on my Thrive - may be a Toshiba issue?

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
GCO thanks for the advice. I think it must be malware that is bringing in these adverts. However I have spent a fair bit of time today downloading anti malware and running scans.

Has anyone had this issue and successfully cleared it? If so can you pass on how to do this please.

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer
Have you tried Malwarebytes (mentioned above) or CCleaner?