Peership for sale???

Fancy a peership? need that extra fancy credential on your CV?

Then donate a large wad of cash to the Labour Party and watch it's returns in less than 4yrs.

Tony Blair is facing new accusations of cronyism after it was disclosed that he is planning to give peerages to a clutch of millionaires who have made substantial donations to Labour. Leaked papers show that the Prime Minister is preparing to elevate four businessmen who together have given almost £500,000 to party funds.

They have also been prominent in supporting some of the more controversial Blairite policies in the areas of education, health and immigration.

The list includes Sir Gulman Noon, who has amassed a multi-million fortune from his ready-made curry business and has donated more than £220,000 to Labour in four years.

Sir David Garrard, a property developer who has given £200,000 to Labour and has been a prominent supporter of the Government's city academies programme, is also expected to receive a peerage.

Sir David has given £2.4 million to the city academy in Bexley, south-east London.

The two other prominent donors heading for the Lords are Dr Chai Patel, the owner of the Priory clinic, and Barry Townsley, a stockbroker and past donor to Labour.

Mr Townsley is reported to have given £10,000 to Frank Dobson's failed campaign to become the official Labour candidate for London mayor and an estimated £5,000 to the Labour Party between 1998 and 2001.
www.torygraph.co.uk

I hate to be cynical, and don't condone cronyism, but I'm sure that the Tories made plenty of peers in their time.

OldSnowy

LE
Book Reviewer
Being as we are good Servants of the Crown, and thus of Her Ministers of State, I want no comments here about the Minister for Defence Procurement, Lord Drayson, and his entirely-coincidental contributions of more than £1M to the Labour Party prior to his entirely-justified elevation to the Peerage.

That said, it's nice to actually have a Procurement Minister who was a successful businessman :)

OldSnowy said:
Being as we are good Servants of the Crown, and thus of Her Ministers of State, I want no comments here about the Minister for Defence Procurement, Lord Drayson, and his entirely-coincidental contributions of more than £1M to the Labour Party prior to his entirely-justified elevation to the Peerage.

That said, it's nice to actually have a Procurement Minister who was a successful businessman :)
Is it? Or is it yet more ways the Government are trying to tie down UK plc spending? (Now who's being cynical :lol:)

Ghost

StabTiffy2B said:
I hate to be cynical, and don't condone cronyism, but I'm sure that the Tories made plenty of peers in their time.
Does that make the labour party's action any less scandalous?

Yes the tories had their sleaze, but no government in history has had this much mud thrown at it (most of it self inflicted) and come out smelling of roses.

OldSnowy said:
Indeed; his companies have been very successful in winning bids to supply govt departments...

Interesting to note that yet another major Neue Arbeit donor is the owner of a food processing business. It seems that Labour's committment to animal welfare, expressed so forcefully in the hunting ban, does not extend to the appalling practices occurring daily in industries connnected to food processing - I wonder why?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Mighty_doh_nut The NAAFI Bar 217
F Aviation 26
Davros_the_Dalek The Intelligence Cell 2