Peep sights and glasses - a lesson learned the hard way

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by Doc1701, Mar 19, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. A while ago I decided to retire my old Air Arms target gun, and get a Steyr LG110. This I did, and since I'm both short sighted and astigmatic, fitted a corrective lens in a holder directly onto the back of the rearsight, thinking that having a lens there would be easier and better than the usual shooting frames.

So, after the usual mucking about setting up a new rifle, I finally got everything how I liked it, and found that I was still spraying shots all over the place; I could see the target OK, but could I hell as hit that bull consistently.

So, after a month or two, I changed back to the shooting frames. Instant 15 point gain on the scores, consistently held.

An so, a lesson. If you've got astigmatic eyes, the rotation of the lens is very important, much more so than I thought, and unless you can guarantee getting your head EXACTLY into the same place on the stock every time, the sight picture is going to change from shot to shot and the shot placement is going to change as well.

This one cost me around ninety quid to learn; fifty for the holder, forty the lens. You're getting the info free, because I'd hate anyone else to have to fork out for a no-brainer like that one...
  2. I've got to admit that when using anything more powerful than a SUSAT, I have always found this to be the case anyway, and I have perfect 20/20 vision.

I was convinced my Air Arms was set up incorrectly with its sight until a pro showed me it wasn't, it was me shifting all over the place like a fart in a bottle