Peed Off with my Unit

#1
Hi guys and girls,

I am a fequent user of ARRSE, and some members of my unit know my real user name. I don't want you lot to think I am a winger etc I am just looking for advice I have been in for over 10 years and I feel I have lost my 'mojo'.

I am getting more frustrated with my unit more each week! Due to having a numbty officer who is about as good as tits on a fish etc, as I am the troop SNCO as this officer does not listen to any advice either from me or anyone else. Just goes off half cocked on hair brain schemes. The Sqn
OC knows what this officer is like and moved this office in to my troop as they had already demorilised one troop.
I have come rather close on a couple of times to lamping the said officer on more than one occasion.

I get no support from the unit on her or back up. As I am in an out station, there is not even a PSI.

This is just some of the complaints I have.

I am getting to the stage of handing my kit in! I know there are various choices for me.

To either sack it completely, transfer to another unit, I am thinking of going down the instructor at an RTC or even the dreaded AI in the cadets as a last resort!

Any advice?
 
#2
PEED_OFF said:
1) To either sack it completely,

2) transfer to another unit,

3) I am thinking of going down the instructor at an RTC or

4)even the dreaded AI in the cadets as a last resort!

Any advice?
Try 3) then 2)

msr
 
#3
PEED_OFF said:
Hi guys and girls,

I am a fequent user of ARRSE, and some members of my unit know my real user name. I don't want you lot to think I am a winger etc I am just looking for advice I have been in for over 10 years and I feel I have lost my 'mojo'.

I am getting more frustrated with my unit more each week! Due to having a numbty officer who is about as good as tits on a fish etc, as I am the troop SNCO as this officer does not listen to any advice either from me or anyone else. Just goes off half cocked on hair brain schemes. The Sqn
OC knows what this officer is like and moved this office in to my troop as they had already demorilised one troop.
I have come rather close on a couple of times to lamping the said officer on more than one occasion.

I get no support from the unit on her or back up. As I am in an out station, there is not even a PSI.

This is just some of the complaints I have.

I am getting to the stage of handing my kit in! I know there are various choices for me.

To either sack it completely, transfer to another unit, I am thinking of going down the instructor at an RTC or even the dreaded AI in the cadets as a last resort!

Any advice?
What kind of idiot officer doesn't listen to his SNCO's?? Fool!
 
#5
You what you have to do! If you run away to the RTC or whatever else your leaving your blokes to suffer. Stand up to him, next time your in the field take him to one side and administer some Plt Sgt justice.
 
#6
brucewillis said:
You what you have to do! If you run away to the RTC or whatever else your leaving your blokes to suffer. Stand up to him, next time your in the field take him to one side and administer some Plt Sgt justice.
Why wait for the field? Grip him in his office.

msr
 
#7
As a 'rupert' I feel I am entitled to state that 'Pl Comds should speak when spat at' until you have trust in them to make reasonable and well judged decisions.

I'm sure as an 'experienced' SNCO you should be able to divert said Officers attention in directions which have less effect on the moral and decision making within the Platoon. It certainly worked for me ;)

It the OC knows the said Officer is a muppet, then the SM must know as well. A word in the SM's shell should surely reap benefits in aiding you in this situation.

It never feels great to have to work around someone, but often the benefits outweigh the potential damage a muppet can do.

Don't be a coward and run! You will just drop the problem in someone else's lap and they will then have to discover the problems demoralising the Platoon even further. You'll come out of the experience a better and stronger SNCO...... just think of the damage that is possible when said officer becomes an OC!!!
 
#8
Gin, soory no.

msr, I have done that the polite and not quite so polite route and nothing sinks in, it's like the lights are on but no one's in.

I and others 0have tried on numerous occassions to let this oxygen thief know what I/we want doing and how we are going to do it, have tried and failed.

How do you go about getting your troopy to either hand their kit in or get them sacked. This officer is in no state to hold a commission or even wear the uniform
 
#9
And I bet they can't pass their CFT either!

Tried speaking to the Adjutant through the RSM?
 
#10
I can think of many an easy way to get an officer in serious poo, but they are extremely underhand and I couldn't possibly recommend them.

Have you ever thought of Black and Nastying him to the ceiling in his office and leaving him there over night in order that he has time to reflect on his leadership and man management........ not that I am recommending you do this, but I did hear of a young troopy (TCN for anyone who knows him) who was black and nastied at an Officers to Seniors function in Gutersloh a few years back to attempt to teach him some humility.
 
#11
Praetorian said:
Tried speaking to the Adjutant through the RSM?
PEED_OFF said:
How do you go about getting your troopy to either hand their kit in or get them sacked. This officer is in no state to hold a commission or even wear the uniform
I would not recommend doing either of these. Have you spoken to your OC about it up front about the matter, or do you just get the feeling that he/she knows the situation?

Request an interview, and write down a few points that you would like to go through with him/her beforehand. Stress the morale issue, both yours and your soldiers', and come up with some suggestions. Hand a copy of this to the OC, and that will direct attention to the issues that you are trying to raise. Doing it this way will formally raise the issue without jumping outside the chain of command.
 
#12
Good point Green. If you do take your complaint higher make sure you have a list of the things that make him a tool, with examples and also a list of ways which they could be overcome, short of killing the bloke. If you just rock up and winge at the OC he's going to think either
a) you're a chopper who doesn't like work,
b) you just don't like the bloke or
c) you can't do the job that you have and your just makeing excuses.

Show then whats wrong and some recomendations and they'll see it all differently. But hay, you're the SNCO shouldn't you know this sh1t already?
 

ugly

LE
Moderator
#14
get him/her/it promoted and posted away!
 
#15
Agree with Green and b_l_h_a.

You need also to consider that said individual was moved to your platoon/troop as they thought that you were capable of improving and developing this young officer. To go whinging up the CoC may damage their opinion of you. If you approach the CoC it needs to be over something you have had no control over and serious enough to be considered for more than a SNCO to troopy bollocking.
 
#16
PEED_OFF, unless you are a senior Officer in an MS posting, it is not your job to curtail this Officer's career, even if the collective wisdom of the NCOs demand it.

I agree with Green Manalishi. Your first step is to speak to your SSM and appraise him of the situation and utlimately the OC via the CoC. If you get no joy with the SSM/OC combo, go to the RSM/CO via the CoC.

If you leave, you will only be seen as weak and no doubt Mr Numpty can brang in the Mess about "breaking" a weak SNCO ....... he will.

Your OC is either weak - he has merely shifted a problem and not dealt with it or he is an evil b@stard and has deliberately sent a poor Officer to you. Think about it - are YOU the one being assessed? Does the OC want YOU to produce the goods and sweat a bit? Are you just another Henno that talks a good fight and the OC ( and perhaps others) want to see some results for a change?

" I sent Mr Numpty to Sgt PO to break his Henno tendancies and the weak bugger ran off to the RTC as expected. Ah well .... give me room to promote Cpl Good Drills now but it will cost me a round of drinks in the Mess !"

We don't know ...... you need to find out
 

ugly

LE
Moderator
#17
So front up and ask the CSM if its true and will killing said numptie affect his confidential report?
 
#18
We had a muslim troopy once who used to suddenly stop the convoy unroll his kip mat - point his compass and pray to Allah.

During an exercise it happened to be Ramadan - so the troop never ate.


Why don't you all just take some time out - meet up socially and do some phys then a couple of beers
 
#19
There are a lot of suggestions coming in, but none have approached the tried and tested method.

Speak to the SNCO of the Troop that he was in prior to yours and find out what he did to resolve the issue. Whatever it was, it seems to have worked for him.

There are only so many times that somebody will get a second chance, surprisingly usually more than once, though.

The TA has a major advantage over the Regulars. You have the ability to issue your OC with an ultimatum - "He goes or I go." It's a Joker that you can only use once in your career. If the OC backs you (maybe he just needs a little bit more fuel to justify getting rid of the officer), you'll have done him a service and he'll appreciate your morals. If he doesn't back you, your position is untenable, certainly within your cap badge.

But OCs don't like receiving ultimata. You could find that you BOTH go.
 

Mr Happy

LE
Moderator
#20
Taffnp said:
We had a muslim troopy once who used to suddenly stop the convoy unroll his kip mat - point his compass and pray to Allah.

During an exercise it happened to be Ramadan - so the troop never ate.


Why don't you all just take some time out - meet up socially and do some phys then a couple of beers
Ooooh tell us more... did he get away with it at Sandbags?
 

Similar threads

New Posts

Latest Threads

Top