Pearl Harbour

greyfergie

MIA
Book Reviewer
You live & learn. I suspected being half American & a soldier to boot he would be rather upset & angry at the loss of life. I would be if our chums in the US, Canada, Australia or NZ lost a couple of thousand.
I think he was a great war time leader because he was a cold heartless bastard - able to make ruthless decisions.

Don't think "chuffed" is the correct term. He was relieved that we (the British empire and the free fighters of europe) weren't fighting the two most abhorrent regimes for ages alone any more.

greyfergie

MIA
Book Reviewer
Don't think "chuffed" is the correct term. He was relieved that we (the British empire and the free fighters of europe) weren't fighting the two most abhorrent regimes for ages alone any more.
After 17 trips across the Atlantic to try and convince Roosevelt and the American congress to join in the fight against Germany (which they weren't interested in btw) I bet he was a little bit "chuffed" that the Japanese achieved that for him in less that 3 hours...

I believe Johnny Frog asked for early British manpowerr in WW1. When asked how many, his reply was something like "One is enough, we will see he dies bravely"

1910 January General Wilson goes back to France and revisits Foch in Paris for further talks; Foch visits Wilson and General Staff in London later in the year. (Wilson asks Foch what the smallest British military force that would be of value to France if Germany attacked, prompting the reply of "one British soldier")

Note 1910 - ruthless, or real politique ?

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
NB Any US dithering about our European war was quickly solved by that great help, Adolf Hitler, who declared war on the US immediately after PH which saved the US any debate about declaring war on Germany.

Shortly after the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbour Hitler declared War on the Unites States.

Churchill must have thought all his birthdays had come at once.

The Japanese attacked the British Empire about 1 hour before anything happened at Pearl, course ya never hear anything about that though.

NB Any US dithering about our European war was quickly solved by that great help, Adolf Hitler, who declared war on the US immediately after PH which saved the US any debate about declaring war on Germany.
It took Adolf 4 days after the Pearl Harbour attack to declare war on the yanks.

The Japanese attacked the British Empire about 1 hour before anything happened at Pearl, course ya never hear anything about that though.
And had killed some 10million Chinese before that, though no one seems to care about that at all.

After 17 trips across the Atlantic to try and convince Roosevelt and the American congress to join in the fight against Germany (which they weren't interested in btw) I bet he was a little bit "chuffed" that the Japanese achieved that for him in less that 3 hours...
Actually the Japanese attack did not mean war with Germany at all. It Took Adolf's massive mistake on Dec 10, 1941 of declaring war on the USA for that. He seemed to think if he did so Japan would declare war on the Soviets and drew fire from the Wehrmacht

Silly Adolf didn't realize even the Jappo's wanted nothing to do with the Soviets after their shoeing @ Khalkin Gol by Zhukov...

Apparently WW2 was started by us when we declared war on ze Germans for attacking Poland.

This was told to me by someone whose political affiliations are a bit suspect & who listens to Horst Wessel Lied whilst strutting around the town square rather haughtily in a Feldgrau Hugo Boss number.

History is written by the victors was his qualifying statement.

Apparently WW2 was started by us when we declared war on ze Germans for attacking Poland.
Technically, that is correct.

Technically, that is correct.
My mistake, how it was proposed was we were the cause of WW2.

It was all our fault and Der Fuhrer was just protecting himself from British aggression (by invading most of Europe & Scandinavia).