Peace in Northern Ireland?

Again you are ignoring the point. What has the average UK resident seen of NI on their TV screens since Good Friday was signed?

Most years going right back to the start of the Drumcree trouble it's been so called loyalists they've seen attacking police, either around the 12th or because the council have decided to fly the Union Flag the same days as most other councils in the UK. Outside of that they've seen those same loyalists throwing piss, bricks and pipe bombs at school kids and very isolated murders of a couple of soldiers and police/prison officers from the republican side. I'm struggling to remember many nationally reported outbreaks of disorder from republicans.

Who do you think gets more sympathy these days from your average mainland resident these days?

What you have or haven't seen is utterly irrelevant to somebody watching the news in Surrey.
I asked you before and I'll ask again"why is it that the media choose to portray things it that manner?What is their agenda?

I asked you before and I'll ask again"why is it that the media choose to portray things it that manner?What is their agenda?
Reporting the news? The media, like most other people will gravitate towards those who appear to be personable.

It doesn't matter what agenda they have or don't. The media can't report on 'loyal'ists throwing bricks at police if no bricks have been thrown. So far a lot of prods have been too stupid to grasp that simple point and would rather whine about catholic conspiracies at the BBC, UTV and Sky than stop throwing things at coppers.

Again you are ignoring the point. What has the average UK resident seen of NI on their TV screens since Good Friday was signed?

Most years going right back to the start of the Drumcree trouble it's been so called loyalists they've seen attacking police, either around the 12th or because the council have decided to fly the Union Flag the same days as most other councils in the UK. Outside of that they've seen those same loyalists throwing piss, bricks and pipe bombs at school kids and very isolated murders of a couple of soldiers and police/prison officers from the republican side. I'm struggling to remember many nationally reported outbreaks of disorder from republicans.

Who do you think gets more sympathy these days from your average mainland resident these days?

What you have or haven't seen is utterly irrelevant to somebody watching the news in Surrey.

Every major riot I can remember in the last 15 years was covered on the national news as well as the local news, regardless of who was rioting. The problem is people only seem to remember the things that suit their agenda. Like you seem to remember a pipe bomb being thrown at school children, when no such thing happened.

Every major riot I can remember in the last 15 years was covered on the national news as well as the local news, regardless of who was rioting. The problem is people only seem to remember the things that suit their agenda. Like you seem to remember a pipe bomb being thrown at school children, when no such thing happened.
That's a fact. But what are people remembering and why? Has what's remembered changed since the Belfast Agreement?

It doesn't matter what agenda they have or don't. The media can't report on 'loyal'ists throwing bricks at police if no bricks have been thrown. So far a lot of prods have been too stupid to grasp that simple point and would rather whine about catholic conspiracies at the BBC, UTV and Sky than stop throwing things at coppers.
Well jimmy,try telling that to the "other side"who have been throwing more than bricks for years and discovered that the media was all for the "poor oppressed"doing it.They are still doing it,but it's not being reported.

That's a fact. But what are people remembering and why? Has what's remembered changed since the Belfast Agreement?

They are remembering what they have been told. Because one side has done a much better job of manipulating the media than the other. The actual facts don't matter if the nice man on the news is putting a spin on it, or reporting the spin he has been given by a 'community representative'.

A few years ago I was at the East Belfast return parade on the 12th as it passed the Short Strand. Kids from inside the Short Strand threw golf balls and bottles at the parade. A number of kids watching the parade threw the golf balls back until we pushed them up the road. The BBC news that night reported it as 'marchers attacked houses as they passed the Short Strand'.

Punch

LE
The brain drain has been going on for a couple of hundred years or so,it was the Scots,the Ulster Scots,and old English who opened up America,Canada etc.,they got off the boat and kept going,unlike some who got off the boat whinging,are still whinging,and didn't get much further than the first bar.

I understand that Countymounty. You only have to look a cities like Boston.

And if their own country does not appreciate "the Ulsterman", another will. That diaspora of will, energy, and bloody-mindedness has a history all its own. It is a history incidentally which has irritated those other "Irish" for a long, long time!

They are remembering what they have been told. Because one side has done a much better job of manipulating the media than the other. The actual facts don't matter if the nice man on the news is putting a spin on it, or reporting the spin he has been given by a 'community representative'.

A few years ago I was at the East Belfast return parade on the 12th as it passed the Short Strand. Kids from inside the Short Strand threw golf balls and bottles at the parade. A number of kids watching the parade threw the golf balls back until we pushed them up the road. The BBC news that night reported it as 'marchers attacked houses as they passed the Short Strand'.
Quite one side is media savvy the other is not. One presents personable image, the other does not. One gets listened to.. The other...

There were pipe bombs thrown at Holy Cross.

Yes .but not at the school kids they were at the outer police lines , I know because I was on that line.

And you don't think that it looks bad for loyalists that it needs the police and army to stop prods from attacking seven year old girls on their way to school? Or that someone took a pipe bomb to throw round at a protest at a primary school?

That's what was being said all last night. The unionist cause is suffering on the mainland because they keep on letting themselves get shown doing crap like that.

That is not what I am saying, but the attack with the bomb was not directed at the school kids, that same day I was under attack from the other side with fireworks and pipebombs fifty yards down the road.
By the way the whole thing wouldn't have happened if one of the "parents" driving his kid to school had not decided to use his car to deliberately knock one of the local idiots of a ladder as he was putting a fleg on a lamp post.there had never been a problem there until then.
A lot of those parents were intimidated to walk their kids up their ,even to handing them over to shinners to walk them up, one well known provie dyke from Lenadoon (that's local )was seen on several days walking different kids to the school.

Glad_its_all_over

ADC
Book Reviewer
That is not what I am saying, but the attack with the bomb was not directed at the school kids, that same day I was under attack from the other side with fireworks and pipebombs fifty yards down the road.
By the way the whole thing wouldn't have happened if one of the "parents" driving his kid to school had not decided to use his car to deliberately knock one of the local idiots of a ladder as he was putting a fleg on a lamp post.there had never been a problem there until then.
A lot of those parents were intimidated to walk their kids up their ,even to handing them over to shinners to walk them up, one well known provie dyke from Lenadoon (that's local )was seen on several days walking different kids to the school.

You're absolutely right to be annoyed, but the reality is that it doesn't matter. The other side is far more media-savvy and it often seems to me that the Huns are second only to the Israelis and Palestinians in being unbelievably toss at PR and media relations, indeed, they actively seek out opportunities to come across as a gang of low-brow Neanderthals. To take one tiny but significant detail - has anyone noticed that the Blessed Gerry has an entirely different accent when he appears on US media to his own home-grown Belfast growl?

The red white and blue side starts from a position of some disadvantage, of course, but it's fixable. Of course, that requires flexibility and a willingness to change which some may interpret as "surrender", in which case, game over, get busy learning the words to Amhrán na bhFiann.

Quite one side is media savvy the other is not. One presents personable image, the other does not. One gets listened to.. The other...

Which is the bit I have never understood.
And you don't think that it looks bad for loyalists that it needs the police and army to stop prods from attacking seven year old girls on their way to school? Or that someone took a pipe bomb to throw round at a protest at a primary school?

That's what was being said all last night. The unionist cause is suffering on the mainland because they keep on letting themselves get shown doing crap like that.

In the last few years the DR's have thrown pipe bombs at police during rioting at the Ardoyne on and around the 12th multiple times, they have also shot at the police during those riots almost every year. And yet they are seen as the ones that are reasonable and at the end of the day they are the ones who got what they wanted.

If people don't want Loyalists to use violence to get what they want, then they need to stop rewarding Republicans for their violence.

Glad_its_all_over

ADC
Book Reviewer
Which is the bit I have never understood.

In the last few years the DR's have thrown pipe bombs at police during rioting at the Ardoyne on and around the 12th multiple times, they have also shot at the police during those riots almost every year. And yet they are seen as the ones that are reasonable and at the end of the day they are the ones who got what they wanted.

If people don't want Loyalists to use violence to get what they want, then they need to stop rewarding Republicans for their violence.

The Republicans aren't being rewarded by anyone for anything. They're playing the same game as the Loyalists, just managing the media and governmental aspects of it much, much better.

The Republicans aren't being rewarded by anyone for anything. They're playing the same game as the Loyalists, just managing the media and governmental aspects of it much, much better.

Try explaining that to the people that obeyed the law, conformed to every new restriction the Parades Commission came up with and then were told they couldn't march home any way because the counter protests were too violent.

Glad_its_all_over

ADC
Book Reviewer
Try explaining that to the people that obeyed the law, conformed to every new restriction the Parades Commission came up with and then were told they couldn't march home any way because the counter protests were too violent.
Didn't say any of it was fair, just that this is the way things are. The very act of parading, while no doubt important to the community which supports it, could be seen by those on the outside as troubling and provocative. Certainly, to the wider media gaze, it's great TV, which isn't necessarily a good thing in terms of how it's presented.

Maybe they should march somewhere else then?
Somewhere where the tootling and beating will be appreciated (or at least won't raise hackles).

Or better yet stop bubbling about how great it is to be a prod and how themmuns must be sick as parrots that they're not prods and just have a hoe-down.

But no, no, no... never, not an inch.

**** them, in with timber.

And so it continues...

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-26611936

Interesting claim that the Dissidents say that they have a new source of Semtex - not sure I believe it but I don't understand why they would make the claim otherwise. The technology certainly sounds very much PIRA - perhaps they are trying to put some clear water between themselves and the old guard and their caches (which were all destroyed or put beyond use of course).

Latest Threads