Peace Activists: What is this euphemism?

BarcelonaAnalPark

LE
Book Reviewer
Having read a few articles about George Blake recently, one of the details which jarred was the description of his prison break. He's said to have been assisted by a couple of "peace activists" which isn't a term I've heard before & which sounds deliberately vague.

Is it a way of describing traitors / useful idiots without getting massively sued or something else?

Were there a lot of these "peace activists" in that era?

Having read a few articles about George Blake recently, one of the details which jarred was the description of his prison break. He's said to have been assisted by a couple of "peace activists" which isn't a term I've heard before & which sounds deliberately vague.

Is it a way of describing traitors / useful idiots without getting massively sued or something else?

He escaped in the late '60s didn't he?

CND would have been about at the very least, plus a number of other hippy groups. Communism was seen as 'the way ahead' at this point by some.

Watch 'Who Dares Wins' for an example.

Last edited:

BarcelonaAnalPark

LE
Book Reviewer

When I think about some of the anti-war groups these days, like 'stop the war', it becomes apparent very quickly that they're more about interfering with or misrepresenting Western foreign policy than they are about promoting peace. Especially when you look at some of their fellow travellers.

When I think about some of the anti-war groups these days, like 'stop the war', it becomes apparent very quickly that they're more about interfering with or misrepresenting Western foreign policy than they are about promoting peace. Especially when you look at some of their fellow travellers.
Although it's always been denied.

Russian/Soviet money was probably used alot. If the Reds were able to set up spy rings such as those at Cambridge, why couldn't they influence left leaning groups such as CND etc?

Winnet

War Hero
The modern day equivalent of "Peace Activists" ,also known as Tourists.

180905-skripal-suspects-mc-1128_7f9709254e1d926fcb3c034db6b95721.jpeg

morsk

LE
You are so right. Everything this century is about giving absolutely everyone their say, which inevitably means twisting anything ever said by anyone. Its all propaganda, politics and pathos. Anti war groups present a real dilemma to me. War is a bit retarded. "Fighting for peace is like f**king for virginity", but then, what would I do for a living

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer

Russian/Soviet money was probably used alot. If the Reds were able to set up spy rings such as those at Cambridge, why couldn't they influence left leaning groups such as CND etc?
I think I still have, unused, a car sticker from the late 80s

KGB <heart> CND

You are so right. Everything this century is about giving absolutely everyone their say, which inevitably means twisting anything ever said by anyone. Its all propaganda, politics and pathos. Anti war groups present a real dilemma to me. War is a bit retarded. "Fighting for peace is like f**king for virginity", but then, what would I do for a living
During pre Banner training, this slogan appeared on the wrinkly tin wall surrounding the dispersal. However, “Until I discovered Smirnoff, I thought Wanking was the capital of China” also made an appearance, so I suspect ‘Early Banksy’ rather than ‘Peace activist’.

IIRC, there was some "mystery" surrounding the escape.
Something about a pot plant used to indicate the route or something(?) Very John Le Carre.
There was a suggestion at one point that "official" assistance may have been given to allow Blake entry to USSR security facilities.
Unfortunately, at the time, there was no Facebook to provide expert opinion.

What’s in a name?

Loads really.

Look at the abortion debate in America.

The anti-abortionists don’t call themselves that, though that’s what they are...they’re ‘Pro Life’.

Which is clever as who’s going to call themselves ‘anti-life’? Hence the pro-abortion lobby stying themselves ‘pro choice’.

I studied in the ‘War Studies department at KCL (as have several other ARRSERS). Then another university (Bradford) opened up a ‘Peace Studies’ department. I believe King’s then renamed their department to the ‘Centre for Defence Studies’...

Yokel

LE

They have no interest in stopping all wars, just the ones the West participates in. Have they even spoken out against Russia or China? Do you think they ever would?

There were loonies that thought that NATO nuclear weapons were bad, but Soviet ones were good. With that level of stupidity, did the KGB/GRU really need to do much to influence them? A lot of that 'we are bad, so everyone else is good' still exists out there.

What’s in a name?

Loads really.

Look at the abortion debate in America.

The anti-abortionists don’t call themselves that, though that’s what they are...they’re ‘Pro Life’.

Which is clever as who’s going to call themselves ‘anti-life’? Hence the pro-abortion lobby stying themselves ‘pro choice’.

I studied in the ‘War Studies department at KCL (as have several other ARRSERS). Then another university (Bradford) opened up a ‘Peace Studies’ department. I believe King’s then renamed their department to the ‘Centre for Defence Studies’...

The one at Bradford is full of terrible lefties.

Last edited:
Always 'pro-choice' about killing though.

No mention of the choice made just prior to conception...

I deliberately wrote my post in a neutral manner.

The post (given the thread) isn’t about the ethics of that debate, it’s about the psychology of the terminology.

‘Pro’ sounds more positive than ‘anti’.

The have no interest in stopping all wars, just the ones the West participates in. Have they even spoken out against Russia or China? Do you think they ever would?

There were loonies that thought that NATO nuclear weapons were bad, but Soviet ones were good. With that level of stupidity, did the KGB/GRU really need to do much to influence them? A lot of that 'we are bad, so everyone else is good' still exists out there.

The one at Bradford is full of terrible lefties.

Indeed. But who’s going to be ‘anti peace’?

Stop The War though are very selective over which wars they want to stop, it seems to involve anything America gets involved in but not a lot else

During pre Banner training, this slogan appeared on the wrinkly tin wall surrounding the dispersal. However, “Until I discovered Smirnoff, I thought Wanking was the capital of China” also made an appearance, so I suspect ‘Early Banksy’ rather than ‘Peace activist’.
I've always remember, daubed in pencil at Whitburn ranges sentry point, 'don't buy a tele, don't buy a car, save all your money and PVR'.