Pea Green Denims

#1
Anyone remember getting issued these in the early 70's - like the old denims (not Trousers LW) but in a strange bluey-greeny colour - hence the name we gave them - what were they all about? Did anyone have the old denim jacket in the same colour to go with them?
 
#2
No, but I reckon that it's the 68 pattern stuff you're on about, the stage between battle dress & combats?
 
#3
No, these weren't the old green combat suits, these were denim suits issued as working/fatigue dress. The normal issue was the usual army olive green but these pitched up about 1970-71 and were such an un-military colour being a sort of torquoise. There was a rumour that they were a Canadian pattern but I don't know. My mate who was in 3 Queens remembers getting issued a pair of the trousers before an NI tour. There must be some old more old soldiers out there who remember them.
 

ugly

LE
Moderator
#5
general melchett probably remembers them!
 
#6
We got issued denim jackets but ours were the OG type of green and that was in 73,but I do seem to remember seeing some funny coloured one's in the OG style,or it might be my imagination it has been a long time
 
#7
Can't recall that particular shade of issue denim or o.g. longs though I do remember guys in FARELF in the mid 1960s cutting around in Malaysian army kit (until the RSM pointed out the error of their ways) which was an awful pea green.
 
#9
True2Blue said:
Think your referring to J/G's brilliant, when wet they used to dry in minutes
Nope - we were issued these when we went to BATUS with the cross over belts along with the old Aertex shirts.

These were definately normal denims - slightly baggy - button fly - but in a strange colour.

Come on chaps - there must be somewhere out there who was issued a pair! :frustrated:
 
#10
ugly said:
general melchett probably remembers them!
Oi!

In fact I don't remember them but I do have an example of such a jacket in the collection. Very simple made fatigue type jacket with two pockets on the skirt. Looking at the label British issue and made with NSN. Not got the trousers though. IIRC the label names it as "Overalls". If I can be arrsed I'll try and dig it out and take a picture.

Unless you mean the OG trousers with cross over belt affair thingy.
 
#11
I think I know the ones's he means they were very distinctive and they were not the OG's with the crossover belt,I had these in Colly and remember them well,you had to take the metal buckles out when you sent them to be dobied,the pea green ones were baggy and similar in colour to the background colour on the FLECKTARN.CO.UK advert at the head of the first page of this post IIRC
 
#12
General Melchett said:
Very simple made fatigue type jacket with two pockets on the skirt.
That's the recognition feature. They were the replacement for the battledress-style denims and they came out in the early sixties. I remember we were all very excited when some arrived for the school CCF. Then we looked a bit closer. We wore the trousers, even though they did not have a map pocket, and binned the jackets.
 
#14
diehard57 said:
Anyone remember getting issued these in the early 70's - like the old denims (not Trousers LW) but in a strange bluey-greeny colour - hence the name we gave them - what were they all about? Did anyone have the old denim jacket in the same colour to go with them?
I had a pair, in fact, I even think I have a pic of me wearing them, seasick green I seem to remember, bloody awful colour, and I didnt have them long
Ill do a recce in the attic for that pic...

Out
 
#15
Vasco said:
General Melchett said:
Very simple made fatigue type jacket with two pockets on the skirt.
That's the recognition feature. They were the replacement for the battledress-style denims and they came out in the early sixties. I remember we were all very excited when some arrived for the school CCF. Then we looked a bit closer. We wore the trousers, even though they did not have a map pocket, and binned the jackets.
Yes, that's the badgers.
 
#16
Ahh! You're talking about the old 'denims overall green', they replaced the 'BD' style denim overalls (one had to remove the buttons and buckles from the 'blouson' style jacket before sending them to the dhobi) circa 1963., they were, in fact, a distinctive green colour. In the late 1960s I recall seeing certain units wearing the jackets 'tucked in' with the sleeves rolled up in 'shirt sleeve order' weather. From a distance it looked like they were wearing OGs.
Damn! that's almost half a century ago. Perhaps this should be on the Military History forum!
 
#17
Busterdog said:
Ahh! You're talking about the old 'denims overall green', they replaced the 'BD' style denim overalls (one had to remove the buttons and buckles from the 'blouson' style jacket before sending them to the dhobi) circa 1963., they were, in fact, a distinctive green colour. In the late 1960s I recall seeing certain units wearing the jackets 'tucked in' with the sleeves rolled up in 'shirt sleeve order' weather. From a distance it looked like they were wearing OGs.
Damn! that's almost half a century ago. Perhaps this should be on the Military History forum!
Nah, I think not. I was at the Home Counties Brigade Depot, Howe Bks, in Canterbury in 1966, and we were issued OLIVE GREEN denims with a skirted jacket, not the 'orrible, thin, khaki BD style; I had those issued when I joined the AER (156 RE Railway Sqn at Longmoor) in 1964.

At Canterbury, recruit soldiers were required to wear the denims with the jacket-skirt outside the trousers and a blancoed 38 Pattern web belt around the waist, matching the blancoed gaiters.
When we passed off the square we wore them shirt-style, tucked inside the trousers, like civilised soldiers. As far as I am aware that was the authorised style of wearing them. They looked smart and dried easily when wet. When wearing combats the denim trousers were much preferred to the heavy combat trousers because of this and they didn't need braces to keep them up! :thumright:

I first saw the dreadful PEA GREENS in Germany (3 Queens), circa 1968, and they were issued as a spare set for general fatigue work. I think it must have been a case of a contractor slipping a dodgy batch of cloth into an already signed-for batch because there was never a second issue and most people refused to wear them on principle anyway! :thumbdown:
 
#18
The 'Pea Green' Denims, which were also produced as one piece coveralls as well, were introduced in the late 60's as a moratorium measure using up old stocks material, disappeared into storage at Bicester and were re-issued again about 1974ish. They were not a mistake but a cost cutting exercise by procurement which did not last long, but the result was longer lasting.

Around 1974 things got so bad that many had to buy army surplus OG's and/or green denims from the likes of DeBoa's or Silvermans rather than walk around in rags or looking like a BP Petrol Pump Attendant who strangely wore the same colour! (I wonder?) It was not a case of QM's not issuing the kit, it was the system not even supplying it.
 
#19
Mike_2817 said:
The 'Pea Green' Denims, which were also produced as one piece coveralls as well, were introduced in the late 60's as a moratorium measure using up old stocks material, disappeared into storage at Bicester and were re-issued again about 1974ish. They were not a mistake but a cost cutting exercise by procurement which did not last long, but the result was longer lasting.

Around 1974 things got so bad that many had to buy army surplus OG's and/or green denims from the likes of DeBoa's or Silvermans rather than walk around in rags or looking like a BP Petrol Pump Attendant who strangely wore the same colour! (I wonder?) It was not a case of QM's not issuing the kit, it was the system not even supplying it.
We had an incident in the regiment where a lance jack got a bollocking from the RSM who (at first) did not believe they were issued coveralls and thought the lance jack was wearing civy attire.
This must have been around 1972.
 
#20
wet_blobby said:
we were issued the jacket in basic training in the 8o's, commonly known as a "beasting" jacket, dont know about the trousers though.


Got to agree,when PT involved the denim jacket it meant either a; a good run b; a good log run or c;assault course
 

Similar threads


Top