PDF editing software

Having spent a very frustrating couple of days printing out various bits of paper, cutting them up and sticking them back together to get coherent documents I'm fed up of not being able to edit PDFs.

Has anyone found a cheap/free PDF editor that works well? I've got no objection to paying up to about 40 quid for a permanent bit of software but I'm not handing over £150 per year to Adobe for a licence to something I might use once a fortnight.

I've had a quick look on google but everything I can see seems to either be a short free trial or put watermarks over the pages.

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer
Having spent a very frustrating couple of days printing out various bits of paper, cutting them up and sticking them back together to get coherent documents I'm fed up of not being able to edit PDFs.

Has anyone found a cheap/free PDF editor that works well? I've got no objection to paying up to about 40 quid for a permanent bit of software but I'm not handing over £150 per year to Adobe for a licence to something I might use once a fortnight.

I've had a quick look on google but everything I can see seems to either be a short free trial or put watermarks over the pages.

Foxit? From memory, even the free version allows some editing functionality.

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
Word is great for basic editing, I use it on a daily basis but for more complex chopping, creating editable text boxes etc. PDF XChange works well.

Microsoft Word?
Works in my version of Office 2016
I tried it but I need the end result to look the same as the original. Word screws up the formatting, text spacing, borders etc. That would be tolerable if I was dealing with plain text but for what I'm doing it would be more hassle to fix all the mistakes than breaking out the scissors and glue.

Word is great for basic editing, I use it on a daily basis but for more complex chopping, creating editable text boxes etc. PDF XChange works well.
We use this at work. The free version is good and the full version isn't hugely expensive if your using it commercially.
If your using the free version and you don't want the "I'm using the free version stamps", before you save your changes, go to print and select the Microsoft pdf print and you'll get a copy without the stamps.

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
I tried it but I need the end result to look the same as the original. Word screws up the formatting, text spacing, borders etc. That would be tolerable if I was dealing with plain text but for what I'm doing it would be more hassle to fix all the mistakes than breaking out the scissors and glue.
If you're doing a bit of a newsletter type thing from PDF source material, have you tried MS Publisher?

slick

LE
I had PDFescape in my bookmarks so must`ve used it in the past. I can`t remember if it was any good unfortunately, but worth a try as its online and free.... Link

If you're doing a bit of a newsletter type thing from PDF source material, have you tried MS Publisher?
No, I'm modifying worksheets, exam board materials and test papers. All that usually needs changing is small bits of text and adding or deleting a couple of paragraphs. Anything that buggers up the formatting is pointless as it causes more problems than not editing would.

I don't need to mess about with images, digital signatures etc. so most of the features that are advertised are utterly pointless to me. It's always been quicker to physically chop bits about but having spent about 8 hours this week doing it I've had enough of the Luddite method. Plus it always looks a bit wonky.

I've got PDF Xchange downloading now while I go and have a shower, I'll play about with that tomorrow.

It takes a bit of getting used to when you start deleting text, from memory you have drop down the edit box, click edit text, then on the left of the menu click select comment, I think. I use it mainly for scaling off drawings, so don't edit much. Our QS dept uses it a lot to send specifications from quotations with the costs removed, which is probably more what you want it for and they like it a lot.

Why not just copy-and-paste the text and graphics you want in to a new document in LibreOffice (or similar), then save as PDF or whatever format you want? Once you make a template of margins and columns to match the required style of the test-papers it will be quick and repeatable.

Why not ask the author to send you the document as a word file?

PDFs are for artwork

Latest Threads