PDA a requirement?

Hello

I'm wondering is the PDA training a necessary? When I went for the interview and they recommend I do a PDA to get a better insight of the army. I was up for it but as it's getting closer I looked at difficulty on getting to it. I live in the Republic of Ireland and the barracks is in the North in Belfast. I have to drive to the next city over, get a bus to Dublin then get a bus to Belfast then a taxi to the barracks and back again. Also I have to do all this by 2 in the morning as the travel as I to arrive at the barracks before 9am. The travel all together would at least cost me 60 quid when I'm very short on money at the moment.

I know what some are thinking now, "If you can't be bothered making an effort to go to it then don't bother joining the army."
It's just a lot of difficulties to get to it if its not an actual requirement to do the assessment test, I do work out every day and have a good run time but the main reason I wanted to go was to get an insight of the military and a taste on what's to come.

sup rec

LE
Book Reviewer
Hello

I'm wondering is the PDA training a necessary? When I went for the interview and they recommend I do a PDA to get a better insight of the army. I was up for it but as it's getting closer I looked at difficulty on getting to it. I live in the Republic of Ireland and the barracks is in the North in Belfast. I have to drive to the next city over, get a bus to Dublin then get a bus to Belfast then a taxi to the barracks and back again. Also I have to do all this by 2 in the morning as the travel as I to arrive at the barracks before 9am. The travel all together would at least cost me 60 quid when I'm very short on money at the moment.

I know what some are thinking now, "If you can't be bothered making an effort to go to it then don't bother joining the army."
It's just a lot of difficulties to get to it if its not an actual requirement to do the assessment test, I do work out every day and have a good run time but the main reason I wanted to go was to get an insight of the military and a taste on what's to come.

If you feel that you don't need to do it then speak to your CSM about not going. It is expected that around 80% of applicants need a PDA but as transport is self funded, if you can't afford to go then they can't make you.

In short it is not a mandated requirement but if you go to SC and get a 'D' grade you won't be getting in the Army (and depending on your job choice a 'B' or 'C' might not be enough). Once graded you can't go back for 2 years to try again. The Army is giving you an opportunity to see how ready you are before going to SC, if you don't take it and you don't do as well at SC as you could have done, you only have yourself to blame.l

You're right.

I just have to suck it up and do it, moneys not too important to me. It's just the travel, I have to be leaving in the middle of the night and I'm afraid of being too tired and making a mess of it and ruining my chances.

I don't think I've heard of the grade system, do you mind explaining it to me?

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer
I'm sure another recruiter said in similar thread to this that it gives the selection people the best idea of what kind of candidate you are and also gives you the best chance of passing well.

Latest Threads