PCSO dress.

Discussion in 'Police, PMCs, Security' started by oldbaldy, Nov 5, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

Yesterday I was visiting our capital and as I walked through Liverpool St station I saw a PCSO.
    What made him stand out, apart from his fondness of junk food, was the way he dressed.
    He was wearing PCSO uniform & hat but over the top was wearing 'British Transport Police' enblazoned over his high viz vest together with a yellow jacket with more kit attached to it that I have ever seen before, including quick cuffs. Is this normal? I thought the jacket would say something like 'British Transport Police Community Support Officer' and that PCSO were not allowed cuffs?
  2. BTP are one of the few that allow their Pissos to carry cuffs. There is no excuse for not being clearly identifiable as NOT a card carrying real copper though as far as I'm concerned!
  3. If he is the one I am thinking of, he wears so much belt order, I am amazed he can move. All he is missing (thankfully) is a Glock.

Having seen him deal with some of the public, he is a real tough guy too (in his mind, obviously)
  4. oldbaldy

1. Battlefield Tours

When I saw him he was talking to two people who gave the impression of knowing him.
    He didn't do anything, it just looked odd.
  5. Having said that listened to a report today where Police Officers are dressing as PCSOs to catch youths who engage in anti-social behaviour directed at PCSOs as they perceive they can't do anything about them.... says it all about the concept to me.

I'm sure there are some great and capable PCSOs out there but at a time where we are allegedly facing frontline policing cuts I hope they are high up on the pecking order to get the chop.....

Yob crackdown sees regular bobbies dressed as PCSOs in Netherton - Liverpool Local News - News - Liverpool Echo
  6. We've got a couple of excellent PCSOs down my way in the nearest small law abiding market town which most of the 'card carrying' coppers
    probably couldn't find with a map and which none of them have set foot in - ie got out of the car - for years.

Actually there was one who used to like walking around the Thursday produce market dressed up like a Serbian para military but some of the stall holders complained
    and he hasn't been seen for ages.

However there are a couple of places that are a potential problem - the empty car park at night and 'pre-loaded' kids
    shouting and screaming in the street outside the youth club.

Just exactly the sort of thing the'proper' pie-munchers will completely ignore until it's right out of hand and then just hand out crime numbers to the
    criminal damage victims and there goes the neighbourhood.

But the PCSOs have been brilliant, stepped in, read a few horoscopes, had a quiet word with a couple of sets of parents and bingo, everyone, the kids included, still living in a thoroughly nice place.

Proper coppering, in my view, but not what you'd get from a 'proper' copper these days.
  7. That's just nuts! Defeats the entire object doesn't it?
  8. Micawber,

I totally agree, PCSOs really have there uses. In a previous life I was a store detective (no not as a second job...) and they were always available to pop in to store to help with lost kid/young hoodie with sticky fingers.

I found the best ones are the ones with no interest in being coppers. The middle aged lady or the older gent. It was the young lads who wanted to be coppers and see PCSO as a shortcut, they very often pushed the limits of what they could get away with, acted like coppers and had no interest in 'community' policing they just wanted to chase a shoplifter.

Horses for courses. PCSOs are a useful being, when gainfully employed as community support. Nothing else.
  9. oldbaldy

1. Battlefield Tours

Best one my way is a retired police Sgt. So laid back he's almost horizontal but all the oiks know who's in chage!
  10. I don't know about other Forces but our (BTP's) PCSOs are a top bunch of people who do a great job and are indeed more tooled up than most of their colleagues in H.O forces.
  11. No being funny, but I think we can all be pretty sure that the police are just telling him 'you now have to go and rob enough wallets to cover x amount' . What a piss take. Get him cleaning up old ladies piss out of waterproof arm chairs in the old people's home at £5 an hour til he's paid it off, and use a gigantic picture of him doing it as a billboard advert in the street to advertise what it is that mouthy little ******* get, for that might actually have an effect.
  12. PCSO's in the community can do a lot more than break up un-ruley yobs

I've a friend who won an award for her duties as a PCSO. Everyone in town knows her, the kids give her respect and she gets the job done. I suspect you couldn't say that about one bobby

Pcso honoured for snow relief effort (From Herald Series)