Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PCS Thermal Jacket “Softie”

I find the best thing for keeping warm and dry is not going out when it is cold and wet. But then again I have been retired for the last five years so if it is howling or chucking it down, I can just stay in bed, or just sit there banging the mong buttons on arrse with the central heating on and a hot brew at my side.
Good man. A few years ago I bought a Finnish Army jacket something like this:
11.jpg

...to wear on my boat when it got chilly. I've never since experienced the sort of chilliness that it's clearly designed for (near absolute zero, I think), so it's hung on a door somewhere, and Musto provides.

It must be frightfully uncomfortable, being poor. I'll PM you a picture of a nice absorbent £50, to show you what you're missing.
If you've got energy to spare then writing to your MP about teachers' pay would be more use. It would be nice if I earned more per hour than the 16 year olds I allegedly educate.

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
There's a place near me that embroiders company logos on work wear, they have a skip full of seconds, old stock and faulty printed clothing, just jump in and start trying on free clobber.

Obviously fire brigade trousers, an Express Dairies coat and a Virgin trains fleece is not the look everyone goes for but its cheap.

I bumped into a kiwi WO of the RNZEME in Normandy for the D Day 50th. The weather was gash (not unlike fifty years previously) and he was sporting an odd DPM Woollen poncho type thing. My first sighting of the mythical Swan Dri. He couldn't rate it high enough.

Put it this way Dave, mine is still in its original wrapping in my attic. I've only ever met two people who actually liked them. I've got the issue Buffalo too and have never worn it either. I've still got my Snugpak Softie, which is now well worn but is still working just fine.
How do you know what it’s like if you’ve never taken it out of its packet?
You’re offering advice on a product that you’ve never used. It’s like me trying to offer advice on a TMA3 anti tank mine. I’ve seen them deployed but I’ve never armed, laid or blown one up, but it’s shit so don’t bother with it

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
Dug out the camping/festival/outdoor gorilla bag.. One gorilla bag 2 og ponchos, 2 liners. 2 swiss army ponchos. I think i got these as the colour scheme could trigger an acid flashback. two sets of green/sand softees and softee trousers. One French mil fleece, which i still havent grown into and a black/green highlander jacket.

The softee jkt and highlander were a last minute addition to the bag on a trip to Bruges one January. They were very useful, you could tell the recent tourist arrivals all running around in brand new Jack Wolfskins or else standing shivering......looking for the shop which sold the warm jackets.

In had a black Softee jacket that did good service for years until a barn collapse on me while I was robbing the window frames, turns out they don't withstand having a load of rafters dropped on them and the outer shreds into bits and all the stuffing comes out.

It was always a Jack Hawkins North Atlantic Convoy knock-off Duffle Coat with the wooden peg buttons and matching bank robber syle balaclava, plus the 'don't tell him Pike scarf, in the sixties when I was a lad. All that was missing was the the cup of cocoa. What let the ensemble down in terms of warmth though was the frozen knee caps due to having to wear shorts until we started at secondary school.

Character building stuff!

Meanwhile in Tel Aviv I hardly get the opportunity to enjoy my winter coats.

My own winter clothing has been boxed since the move from Pennsylvania to Texas. It was so cold in PA that you could never wear enough - there was so much moisture in the air the cold penetrated deep. On perfectly clear winter days I have actually seen the moisture in the air collect and freeze into what looks like snow flakes - not loads, just a few, here and there, amazing to see.

If you want a cheap cheerful khaki coat that actually is warm then it’s okay
It’s not a Sasquatch or a buffalo belay which cost more
It’s a simple design with a generous map pocket and a hidden hood

Wearing my Extreme smock at the moment as I can't begin to consider putting the heating on before November. What role did you get issued it for, Mountain Rescue?

Agreed on the pack size but I love it for the fact that no matter the weather I arrive places sweating like a rapist in a convent, even if everything outside is covered in snow and ice.

No, Arctic stuff with Danish forces. I think it's standard issue for them in cold environments, as I was issued Montane and Buffalo gear for the Balkans as well.

It was always a Jack Hawkins North Atlantic Convoy knock-off Duffle Coat with the wooden peg buttons and matching bank robber syle balaclava, plus the 'don't tell him Pike scarf, in the sixties when I was a lad. All that was missing was the the cup of cocoa. What let the ensemble down in terms of warmth though was the frozen knee caps due to having to wear shorts until we started at secondary school.

Morning @par avion,
You forgot the wool mitts attatched together with a long piece of string, one mitt threaded throught the sleeves of the duffel coat to stop them being lost.

Latest Threads