PC & two monitors

Discussion in 'Hardware - PCs, Consoles, Gadgets' started by Porridge_gun, Oct 29, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Porridge_gun

Porridge_gun LE Good Egg (charities)

I want to run two programmes at once, however I want one on one monitor and one on the other.

Can this be done with a VGA splitter or do I have to use a second graphics card. Or is there another solution that I haven't discovered.

Geek thoughts?

2. Derrr, get two PCs.

Right next.

(******* easy this IT malarkey)

• Like Like x 6
  3. Porridge_gun

The VGA port has next to it a port that takes the bigger whiter pluggy in bit.

Ive connected that to the second monitor but its not finding it. the monitor says (check signal cable) as if its not connected. Power is one, connection is sound.

Ive found the sharing desktoppy part, all fine, just no second monitor showing.

4. PG,
    Stolen from the net, what operating system are you using windows 7 or XP?

Windows XP (and 2000) often enables only one display by default.

(This info is probably in the Help info in Windows, and/or in the Help info for your display adapter)

Go to Control Panel - Display Properties - Settings.
    Hold your cursor over the displays - if one is disabled you will see "Not Active".
    In that case, RIGHT click on the disabled display and enable it. You may need to reboot as well.

If that doesn't help.....

ATX mboards are always powered in some places by the ATX PS, even when the computer is not running, as long as the PS is connected to the mboard, the switch on the PS is on if it has a switch, and the PS is connected to live AC.
    If you make any changes to connections, including to drives or to the PS, or install or remove any components inside the case, if you haven't removed the live AC power to the computer when you do that, you can easily damage something.

If that doesn't apply....

If the monitor ports you are connecting to are both the ports on a video card that's installed in a slot, NOT ports near where most of the ports are located in the I/O area, the video probably supports using a DVI to VGA adapter.

If the ports you're connecting to are for onboard video and ARE ports near where most of the ports are located in the I/O area....

I noticed when I was looking at new mboards early this year that some recent mboard's main chipsets onboard video will not allow a standard DVI to VGA adapter to work because the wiring isn't there. In that case, if you look in the User manual or similar for your brand name model, it will probably either not mention using a DVI to VGA adapter, or it will tell you the mboard does not support using one.

5. My son uses two monitors when he's doing work in adobe photoshop. The icons for the controls are on one monitor and the picture he is working on are on the other. But you said you want to run two seperate programs. I can ask him if thats possible but there are probably others on here who will give you a quicker answer.

6. Porridge_gun

Done it, cheers bastards

• Like Like x 1
  7. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

Ah well then you can ignore my message on your voice mail. However media message still stands three monitors are for winners.

8. meridian

meridian LE Good Egg (charities)

I know this might sound like a bit of pathetic on upmanship but I have started working with quad monitors and its great, everywhere I look I see tits, great

• Like Like x 3
  9. You're using 5 monitors!?! I'm struggling with one!

10. Pah! Even on my DII terminal I run 2 monitors!

11. That's not two monitors; you've got your contacts in back-to-front again!

12. Don't worry, Tropper/Jim24 will be in later to let you know he invented flamingos and uses 8 monitors.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Who let you out, your supposed to be supplying us with tits on the other forum. Now get to it man.