PC to Mac, and loving it.

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by blue-sophist, Jul 10, 2008.

1. PC, please ... I want Gates to be even richer.

0 vote(s)
  2. PC, please ... I have a need to play Computer Games.

3. PC, please ... I'm used to Microsoft.

4. Mac ... I'll try anything once.

5. Mac = The Personal Computer with free double fries and Cola,

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. blue-sophist

blue-sophist LE Good Egg (charities)

I think it was when my wife said "Why did we never do this before" that I realised it was a good decision.

I'll admit, I was lucky. I was effectively 'given' a 3-month old iMac 24" with all the gubbins ... cordless mouse and keyboard, the 8Gb iTouch [but I had to buy the clever £200 wireless hub and back-up system].

I've been a "user" since around 1988. I've worked in MS-DOS, used Word for DOS, and Wordperfect for DOS, and pretty much everything that Mr Gates could sell me in a moment of weakness. At one stage She and I had our own PCs on a network at home, feeding 2 printers and other peripherals. Subsequently, having burned out, screwed up, over-loaded and generally screwed more PC systems than MoD, a couple of years ago I bought £3.5K of Alienware ... in part to play graphics-heavy games like Flight Sim and The Sims. OK, I degraded the system with dust and cigarette smoke, so the twin-SCSI drives died and one of the DVDR drives doesn't [at times].

And ... THE NOISE. Despite the liquid cooling to hep the quad-SLI graphics cards and stuff, the sound of howling fans could be heard over all 4 floors of Sophist Towers.

And now ... PEACE. The iMac is silent. I mean you cannot hear it. No cables everywhere, and I don't have time in my life for games anymore anyway. And ... to my pleasant surprise ... I'm finding the operating system really quite easy to understand. Oh, yes ... and it doesn't crash at random intervals, and Mr Gates doesn't run my computer's life any more, and it's quick as a quick thing, and it looks cool, and the desktop is tidy and clear for working with paper [which still exists, BTW].

And the best bit? The 24" display, and Apple's system, makes multi-tasking on screen just an utter doddle.

"Why didn't we do this before, dear?"
  2. BS, Mrs I nagged and nagged about getting her a Macbook when her PC based laptop was on her last legs. She has always been one for form over function, and then complaining when things don't do what she wants.

In the end, I relented. I have always been a PC man, worked with them since I started in the computer business, built then, rebuilt them, bastardised them, you name it, I've done it with PC's.

I was more than just a bit sceptical when we got it, but I have to admit to being pleasantly surprised. Easy to use and well built.

I've just bought another PC laptop, but that was only because I have all the software I need for it, other than that I am just about a convert!
  3. PC's are ok depending on what you want to use them for, I found out (from a recent exercise with servers and Linux) that Linux is probably not too bad, fairly nifty and fairly simple to operate.

However each to there own, Microsoft got it right with timing and a bit of luck.
  4. I just had a punt on my mates mac, thin like a razor and about the same weight but I couldn't understand it

SORRY I'm a biff but didn't like it
  5. blue-sophist

It's a bit like having a punt on your mate's wife ... it takes a bit of practice 8)

But if I can do it after 20 years [I mean "the change" :wink: ] why can't you? It's taken me about a week to re-train.
  6. Does that mean you're auctioning off your fag-ash encrusted alienware rig, b-s?
  7. blue-sophist

No, there are still applications and capabilities I wish to retain :wink:
    Good try, Sparky!!
    However,at least the monster box is now stowed in a cupboard [out of sight] and no longer runs H24.
  8. Good God! Not another who has swallowed the 'Macs are the best' line sold by Apple. As Bill Gates once said to Steve Jobs 'A Mac is the only computer I'd buy my mom'

As someone who works with and maintains everything from Windows, Mac and Linux I can honestly say that the Macs are the most bland yet overpriced kit you can buy incorporating dull generic hardware, slow hard drives and laptop RAM with no better reliability than any Windows system (Macs crash just as often) but the lack of software for Mac just makes them unusable as a tool IMHO. If you think Bill Gates and Microsoft are vicious you should really do some investigation into Steve Jobs. a film 'The Pirates of Silicon Valley', where that clip was taken from really shows what went on in the 80s' between the 2 companies. There are plenty of clips on You Tube.
  9. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Aaah shaddap Speedy!

I'd been using Macs for years and at every possible opportunity would extol their virtues to anyone who wouldn't go into a coma after the first 5 minutes.

My dad, who'd never used a computer before in his life and was a decorated Luddite wouldn't heed my advice and got himself a PC - and then got muggins to try and teach him how to use it over 6 months, er no, 6 years!

One day, in a fit of rebelliousness (long after I myself had been forced at gunpoint to use PCs as part of my job) he bought himself a Powerbook - the titanium jobbie.

Cue phrases like "Wow, this is amazing, and so beautiful, and sooooo easy, and look, it don't crash", followed shortly afterwards by "Why didn't you tell me about Macs Biped, I thought you were supposed to be an expert!" followed shortly thereafter by "Ow, goddamit, I'm your father, STOP HITTING ME WITH THAT FACKIN KEYBOARD!!!"

Suffice to say, he's had the bug pretty badly for a while now and every 18 months he upgrades to the latest Powerbook, and yes, that means I've got the last model as a cast-off. Chuffed to buggery, so I am!
  10. blue-sophist

I can't really comment on speed in a meaningful way. All I know is that this iMac desktop is just as quick [as far as I can perceive, as the user] as my Alienware ALX.

As to "lack of software", it depends on what world you need to inhabit. I have word-processing, spreadsheet, internet and email ... which basically meets the remit for having the things in the first place. I'm not trying to do high-end graphics work, or run a major business, and I'm getting too old for games [I'll use the Alien for that if I have time]. So it seems to do the job for me, and makes my workplace quieter and tidier.
  11. Sort of says it all really, if you did not have a PC you could not run "applications and capabilities" that you wish to "retain".
  12. what speedy said. macs look pretty, and they are certainly a hit with the ladies but are difficult to upgrade, way way way overpriced, and practically uselesss for anything but the most banal of tasks.
  13. y'see, an alienware rig, no matter how tempramental, is a MANS rig. are macs not a tiny bit gay?
    i mean, if you were to swap a porsche 911 for say a a fiat cinquecento, would eyebrows not be raised???
  14. blue-sophist

But I'm not swapping ... I'm running both. 8)

Everyday stuff with this neat machine, which doesn't take up much desk space, and the occasional heavy stuff on the PC [which maybe gets switched on twice a week, on current form.
  15. fairy-nuff!

have your cake and eat it!