PC running really slow, advice needed, please type slowly!!

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by Salford-Vera, Apr 15, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all,

my PC has been running quite slow now for a couple of months, i have done a few checks (extrememly limited knowledge on pc) such as AVG Malware and other scans but nothing seems to show up to suggest there is a virus or owt, ive done the ctrl alt del and gone into whats running in the background, again i dont really know what im looking for so couldnt provide any exact info as to whats happening. Ive noticed there are only usually a couple of things running and nothings goin mental. Ive also been pointed to the start > run > then i typed something in to tell me what comes on at start up but i didnt understand a fookin word of it so i didnt turn anything off.

Can anyone help me with some real easy checks to try and speed the fooker up, running windows xp, dont know the model cos a mate built it for me a few years ago, or better still come to our house and have a look at it, i have beer if that helps!!

Cheers.

Yours William Gates (esc)

2. go to run and type : msconfig and see what programs are running at start up - close down the ones you do not need

Go to System tools and do a disc clean up
    Go to system tools and defrag hard drive
    Check your hard drive generally and uninstall anything you do not use anymore
    Add more memory

3. Win XP? Well, that's a start!

Have you removed all the temporary files, emptied the Recycle Bin and defragmented the hard disk?

Litotes

4. And what is slow?

Startup?

Normal running?

Interweb?

Litotes

5. Here lies the problem, i dont know what im looking at to close them down, im not at home now so couldnt say, however i could write them all down later and type em on here, im really struggling, cant you just pop round, i have BEER.

6. All of the above.

7. Hang on, whats Litotes?

8. Thats a joke by the way......honest.

9. From the top... we'll gather some information first.

On the Desktop, double-click on My Computer.

Double-click on C:

Click on the Folders icon at the top of the screen.

Your folders will now be displayed on the left of the screen.

Have a look in the Recycle Bin. Are there lots of files in there going back months or years?

Double click on the Windows folder and navigate to the Temp folder. Highlight it and right-click. Select Properties. How many files /bytes are in there?

Litotes

10. Greek for understatement.

If I tell you I am amused by something, it means that I am wildly excited. Similarly, if I tell you that X should be hung, drawn and quartered, I am suggesting that I might want to ruin their day....

Litotes

11. Like i said, im not at my home pc just now, i'll go through what you've said when i get home and put it back on here.

Thanks.

PS It all latin to me....

12. Next:

How much disk space?

Same program, navigate to the root of the C drive. It could be called anything but is usually called Drive C:

Left-click on it, then right-click, select Properties.

Tell us what the Used Space and Free Space equals?

Two thirds of the way down, on the right hand side, there is a Disk Cleanup button. Click on that and wait for the computer (lots of disk thrashing) to report on how much space can be reclaimed.

Click on Escape (twice) and report back here!

Litotes

13. Roger, wait out!

14. I can't believe no-one has said this yet!

Before you start farting around with a pile of crap you don't understand, get a can of air, take off the cover and give the thing a bloody good clean. So many times the PC running slow is a simple case of it not being able to cool the processor/GC etc well enough as it's clogged up to fuck due to lack of basic maintenance.

Do that, and if it's still shite, come back and we'll do some technical stuff :pc:

15. To be honest, ive already done that, blew fook out of it then hoovered with a nosel, i do that every few months, i have noticed that one of the fans makes a buzzin noise as though there is fluff clogged in it but i cant see anything. I hoovered that loads.