PC running really slow, advice needed, please type slowly!!

Salford-Vera

Old-Salt
Hi all,

my PC has been running quite slow now for a couple of months, i have done a few checks (extrememly limited knowledge on pc) such as AVG Malware and other scans but nothing seems to show up to suggest there is a virus or owt, ive done the ctrl alt del and gone into whats running in the background, again i dont really know what im looking for so couldnt provide any exact info as to whats happening. Ive noticed there are only usually a couple of things running and nothings goin mental. Ive also been pointed to the start > run > then i typed something in to tell me what comes on at start up but i didnt understand a fookin word of it so i didnt turn anything off.

Can anyone help me with some real easy checks to try and speed the fooker up, running windows xp, dont know the model cos a mate built it for me a few years ago, or better still come to our house and have a look at it, i have beer if that helps!!

Cheers.

Yours William Gates (esc)

Daytona955

War Hero
go to run and type : msconfig and see what programs are running at start up - close down the ones you do not need

Go to System tools and do a disc clean up
Go to system tools and defrag hard drive
Check your hard drive generally and uninstall anything you do not use anymore
Add more memory

Salford-Vera said:
Hi all,

my PC has been running quite slow now for a couple of months, i have done a few checks (extrememly limited knowledge on pc) such as AVG Malware and other scans but nothing seems to show up to suggest there is a virus or owt, ive done the ctrl alt del and gone into whats running in the background, again i dont really know what im looking for so couldnt provide any exact info as to whats happening. Ive noticed there are only usually a couple of things running and nothings goin mental. Ive also been pointed to the start > run > then i typed something in to tell me what comes on at start up but i didnt understand a fookin word of it so i didnt turn anything off.

Can anyone help me with some real easy checks to try and speed the fooker up, running windows xp, dont know the model cos a mate built it for me a few years ago, or better still come to our house and have a look at it, i have beer if that helps!!

Cheers.

Yours William Gates (esc)

Win XP? Well, that's a start!

Have you removed all the temporary files, emptied the Recycle Bin and defragmented the hard disk?

Litotes

Salford-Vera

Old-Salt
Daytona955 said:
go to run and type : msconfig and see what programs are running at start up - close down the ones you do not need

Go to System tools and do a disc clean up
Go to system tools and defrag hard drive
Check your hard drive generally and uninstall anything you do not use anymore
Add more memory

Here lies the problem, i dont know what im looking at to close them down, im not at home now so couldnt say, however i could write them all down later and type em on here, im really struggling, cant you just pop round, i have BEER.

From the top... we'll gather some information first.

On the Desktop, double-click on My Computer.

Double-click on C:

Click on the Folders icon at the top of the screen.

Your folders will now be displayed on the left of the screen.

Have a look in the Recycle Bin. Are there lots of files in there going back months or years?

Double click on the Windows folder and navigate to the Temp folder. Highlight it and right-click. Select Properties. How many files /bytes are in there?

Litotes

Salford-Vera said:
Thats a joke by the way......honest.

Greek for understatement.

If I tell you I am amused by something, it means that I am wildly excited. Similarly, if I tell you that X should be hung, drawn and quartered, I am suggesting that I might want to ruin their day....

Litotes

Salford-Vera

Old-Salt
Like i said, im not at my home pc just now, i'll go through what you've said when i get home and put it back on here.

Thanks.

PS It all latin to me....

Next:

How much disk space?

Same program, navigate to the root of the C drive. It could be called anything but is usually called Drive C:

Left-click on it, then right-click, select Properties.

Tell us what the Used Space and Free Space equals?

Two thirds of the way down, on the right hand side, there is a Disk Cleanup button. Click on that and wait for the computer (lots of disk thrashing) to report on how much space can be reclaimed.

Click on Escape (twice) and report back here!

Litotes

Salford-Vera

Old-Salt
Litotes said:
Next:

How much disk space?

Same program, navigate to the root of the C drive. It could be called anything but is usually called Drive C:

Left-click on it, then right-click, select Properties.

Tell us what the Used Space and Free Space equals?

Two thirds of the way down, on the right hand side, there is a Disk Cleanup button. Click on that and wait for the computer (lots of disk thrashing) to report on how much space can be reclaimed.

Click on Escape (twice) and report back here!

Litotes

Roger, wait out!

jt9563

War Hero
I can't believe no-one has said this yet!

Before you start farting around with a pile of crap you don't understand, get a can of air, take off the cover and give the thing a bloody good clean. So many times the PC running slow is a simple case of it not being able to cool the processor/GC etc well enough as it's clogged up to fuck due to lack of basic maintenance.

Do that, and if it's still shite, come back and we'll do some technical stuff :pc:

Salford-Vera

Old-Salt
jt9563 said:
I can't believe no-one has said this yet!

Before you start farting around with a pile of crap you don't understand, get a can of air, take off the cover and give the thing a bloody good clean. So many times the PC running slow is a simple case of it not being able to cool the processor/GC etc well enough as it's clogged up to fuck due to lack of basic maintenance.

Do that, and if it's still shite, come back and we'll do some technical stuff :pc:

To be honest, ive already done that, blew fook out of it then hoovered with a nosel, i do that every few months, i have noticed that one of the fans makes a buzzin noise as though there is fluff clogged in it but i cant see anything. I hoovered that loads.

SOLO

Old-Salt
Couple of ideas....

Run Defrag

Run Windows update

Check only running one AV program

Windows Defender is not bad

Download http://www.ccleaner.com/ configure and run cleaner and registry

Use CC to simply get rid of yahoo/msn bars and all the other crap that you’ll have picked up along the way. Run it a few time and then Run Defrag

Slow net try switching to Firefox and config with zero history storage

Download http://www.fileshredder.org/ won’t speed anything up but has obvious uses

Download http://www.truecrypt.org/ for C drive

Buy an external drive and run http://www.truecrypt.org/ (don’t forget USB) and move required files over

(Download https://www.jondos.de/en/download if you have other surfing issues)

Still not playing (image C) back up files and drivers to unencrypted drive, run FS from CD on HD and reinstall windows etc.

Still not playing; remove HD melt or similar, go shopping....

Salford-Vera

Old-Salt
Would it help if i compressed some files? Ive just been trying to do some of the stuff suggest but i couldnt follow the instructions as there are fookin millions of files on the C:| drive...well 27.245 to be exact. Do you think this would help? One other thing i noticed is that all the file read $MSI31Uninstall_KB******$, what are these?

Salford-Vera

Old-Salt
Litotes said:
From the top... we'll gather some information first.

On the Desktop, double-click on My Computer.

Double-click on C:

Click on the Folders icon at the top of the screen.

Your folders will now be displayed on the left of the screen.

Have a look in the Recycle Bin. Are there lots of files in there going back months or years?

Double click on the Windows folder and navigate to the Temp folder. Highlight it and right-click. Select Properties. How many files /bytes are in there?

Litotes

Ok the TEMP size is - 11.0MB (11552706 bytes)
Size on disk 10.5 (11014106 bytes)
Contains 262 Files, 81 Folders

Salford-Vera

Old-Salt
SOLO said:
Couple of ideas....

Run Defrag

Run Windows update

Check only running one AV program

Windows Defender is not bad

Download http://www.ccleaner.com/ configure and run cleaner and registry

Use CC to simply get rid of yahoo/msn bars and all the other crap that you’ll have picked up along the way. Run it a few time and then Run Defrag

Slow net try switching to Firefox and config with zero history storage

Download http://www.fileshredder.org/ won’t speed anything up but has obvious uses

Download http://www.truecrypt.org/ for C drive

Buy an external drive and run http://www.truecrypt.org/ (don’t forget USB) and move required files over

(Download https://www.jondos.de/en/download if you have other surfing issues)

Still not playing (image C) back up files and drivers to unencrypted drive, run FS from CD on HD and reinstall windows etc.

Still not playing; remove HD melt or similar, go shopping....

SOLO does running more than one AV affect your pc? I currently have AVG 8.5, Avast, Ad-Aware, Macafee and a Malwarebytes programme, if the answer is yes, which ones should i get rid of.

Im not being impatient here but im going the pub at 19.15 to watch United. So with THAT in mind i need some quick answers.

Thanks.

Fubes

Old-Salt
Get rid of Macafee, AVG (if your paying for it) the others should be more than enough unless your download all sorts of shite, in which case your screwed anyway and only have yourself to blame.
Follow the above advice, its all sound, cleanup and defrag normally do the trick, wouldnt worry about compressing old files ( I work in IT and we rarely do it on the work machines), it takes a feck load of time and doesn't achieve much beyond the cleanup.

After disk cleanup, run a full Malwarebytes and Avast or AVG scan.

Just seen time and you prob already in the pub, so this will be the least of your worries.

If it REALLY goes way out your depth, try and find someone either local that will sort it for beer, or someone with some kind of VPN software, like Logmein who will spend a lil time either talking you through it or doing it as you watch, (gotta learn sometime) Obviously, be fcuking careful who you ask to do this, some people like nothing better than to cock your machine up.

Latest Threads