PC problem. Need Geek Assistance.

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by Lairdx, Nov 27, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello all you nerds and boffins.

Wasn't sure where to post this but it can go in here.

Mrs Lairdx has messed with my computer and now everytime I log on a folder called System 32 pops up and although it is not causing any problem it annoys me.

How do I stop it?

before anyone suggests it my penis will not fit in a USB slot. nor will the computer fit up my backside.

Cheers folks.
  2. Try disabling it in the startup menu, Lairdx.

3. And how do I do that exactly? Thanks
  4. Lairdx,

Try Google - but read the message carefully first - and write down what it says. If it is "system32", then Microsoft has something to say about it at:

and, someone else, here:

Sunday afternoon was just made for delving into the intricacies of the registry.....

Litotes (an occasional nerd)

Edited to add: Don't tinker with the registry until you have tried the second solution - Programs/Run/type in "msconfig" and hit Enter. Then browse to see if anything is wrong.
  5. Lairdx, personally I'd try a restore to an earlier point in time before I started fücking with the registery.
    But if you want to access the registery and the startup menus with ease, you could download a program called reg. organizer 1.4 from this website:

Scroll down to July 27, 2003 and download it. It's free!
    It also allows you to clean up the registery and get rid of all the clutter in there.

6. msr

msr LE

If you just want to see what is starting up, have a look at StartUpCpl from http://www.mlin.net

Get the standalone exe version.

7. Lairdx, I had this problem too it is fcuking annoying.

I ran my spiffy new McAffee anti-virus software then de-fragmented my 'puter and the problem was resolved.

Unfortunately my propeller-headed knowledge of IT more or less ends there, but since I installed a good quality anti-virus/ firewall package all the wierdness that usually happens like this has stopped.

8. Thankyou all. I will try all of the above suggestions.
  9. i would pick up my monitor, and smash it over the missus head 32 times...

each time saying

10. When the PC is starting up, press and hold the F8 key and then select COMMAND PROMPT ONLY. You should see the old-fashioned C:> prompt. Now enter this carefully:

FORMAT C: /y

should be OK within an hour then....
  11. FORMAT???

Probably won't try that dick.

Problem has been solved and I have learned to do a thing called a system restore. Cool huh?

Still a long way to go before I'm a qualified geek though. Thanks for your help.
  12. Fcucking fcuk fcuk b ollocksy fcuking fcuk. Fcuking things really fcucking fcuked stupid now.

All kinds of bollocing mincing fcuking bedwetting titwanking shite is popping up now. FcuK!!!!
  13. Few things you need I reckon.

1. A decent firewall to stop shite getting in. A good free one is Zone Alarm, download it here (you don't want the Pro version) http://www.download.com/3000-2092-10039884.html

When you got this running it'll tell you about programs trying to access the internet from your PC and you decide whether or not to let them and if you know its one you use regularly you can always allow it.

2. Scan your PC for trojan programs and little self installed programs many of which give pop ups. There are two free ones I can recommend:

Run these when they're installed and they'll give you as good a clean out as you get after a decent curry and 10 pints of wife beater.

Let us know how you get on.
  14. Already have Zone alarm mate.

Have scanned for trojans and bugs. Am trying to patch holes in my system. It seems that parts of my software have just vanished. A friend of mine who has the same laptop which is the same age is having the same problems. I suspect the manufacturer has built in a self destruct so they can deprive me of more beer shillings.

Will have a looksee at the sites you reccomended. See if They can help. Thankyou.