PC power pack..invoice question..sale of goods

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by carlbcfc, Jun 24, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I purchased a power pack from the local computer repair shop on Saturday. Same day it blew, so I contacted them monday morning when they told me to bring it back for testing. Its easier to explaine this way:

Pc man: Im not replacing it, it could be your electric, ive never had a problem with them.

(starts to test it)

Me: Oh right

Pc man: You could have a spike in your electric, do you se a surge protector.

Me: No

(tested, not working)

Pc man: Do you have your invoice?

Me: ?? You gave me the power pack with no bag, I dont remember an invoice.

Pc man: It was an A4 printed piece of paper with your name on. I cant get a refund off the supplier without it.

Me: I dont remember but ill go home and check the coat I was wearing anyway.

Now should HE have a copy of this invoice? Where do I stand without it, its obvious where it came from.
  2. msr

msr LE

£20 down, but with a lesson learned?
  3. Yes lesson learnt, pay by card next time.
  4. Novatech keep a record of invoices... good blokes...
  5. So I got a refund without the invoice, crossed the road and brough another from the PC shop over the road. This one says "surge proof" on it. Now this might be an obvious answer but for the sake of fukcing it up again can someone clarify "surge proof" eliminates the need for the surge protector?

Better safe than sorry.
  6. msr

msr LE

Do you have to learn every lesson the hard way?

Your education is going to be expensive....
  7. Im going to stick it in. I'll soon find out what "surge proof" means.
  8. It dont work, no power what so ever AAARRGGHHH!!
  10. only a bird so total techno biff but.......

maybe the problem isn't the power pack???
  11. I'd suggest you pop out into your hall or wherever and check your RCB electricity trip switch......
  12. Something similar happened to me with a PSU blowing up. Took out my mobo. Mmmm... I love the smell of burning silicon in the morning...
  13. Ok let me give a little more info. Original pack stopped working, I suspected this was about to happen after a few random power outs. Got a new one that went with a slight flash, could this have taken out other parts?

Now got another new one (srge proof??) but its like it is dead, all other electrical appliances are ok. Im guessing from my limited knowledge a new motherboard or cpu or both?
  14. msr

msr LE

Yes. It very probably has.

What exactly do you mean by 'power pack'? Do you mean a PSU for a desktop or an adaptor for a laptop?

15. PSU for a desktop it is. Asrock board with AMD 3200, shite but does the job.