PC Performance

Mr Happy

LE
Moderator
#1
Morning. Whats wrong with my laptop?

I popped in a DVD to watch the other day and the DVD played slowly (e.g. jerky speech and frame rate). I suspect it is the same problem that is causing my online BF2 nightmares, where I have an uber high ping despite having 3.5mb wireless connection that is working perfectly (checked via various means so no issues there).

My suspicion is that the processor in my PC is busy but doing what??? I have defragged my C and D drives (I also have defragged my two externals but not I think unplugged them). I've tried whilst having closed down every program I can find on the PC working - MSN, virus stuff, gmail, googletalk, festoon, skype, etc etc..

What is causing my less than 1 year old PC to have such problems? And how can I find it...

Mr H
 
G

Goku

Guest
#2
Install ccleaner on your PC, found here

http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/

Run the cleaner and scan for/fix issues until you’ve got all the crap off your computer, this may take several goes.

Also on ccleaner go to tools and then startup and post the list of every program you have running when your computer starts up, you may have programs automatically running and taking up memory that you don’t need.

Can you think of any programs that you installed about the same time your computer started slowing down?

If you’re running software with only the minimum hardware requirements then you’ll find this slows your PC down too.


And if you’re playing BF2 online, did you know that a few of us ARRSErs have created a BF2 clan, have a look here for details

http://www.arrse.co.uk/cpgn2/Forums/viewtopic/t=51860.html
 

Mr Happy

LE
Moderator
#3
Goku said:
Install ccleaner on your PC, found here

http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/

Run the cleaner and scan for/fix issues until you’ve got all the crap off your computer, this may take several goes.

Also on ccleaner go to tools and then startup and post the list of every program you have running when your computer starts up, you may have programs automatically running and taking up memory that you don’t need.
Doing/Will do

Can you think of any programs that you installed about the same time your computer started slowing down?
None I can think off, I suspect that my programmes have been getting larger on their own....

If you’re running software with only the minimum hardware requirements then you’ll find this slows your PC down too.
BF2 was fine, and obviously the dvd player played fine too, this is new...


And if you’re playing BF2 online, did you know that a few of us ARRSErs have created a BF2 clan, have a look here for details

http://www.arrse.co.uk/cpgn2/Forums/viewtopic/t=51860.html
Will sign up - thanks.

MrHap0 (on BF2)
 
#4
Simple press ctl alt delete to get your task manager up

next select processes and click twice on the CPU column

This will show you the most CPU hungry processes currently running and in order of "hungriness"

If the process is running at 100% (check performance tab) then kill it by right clicking then end process ensuring of course it isnt a system process critical to the PC

If unsure what a process does google it to get advice

If this doesnt work let me know
 
#5
Further to Superdoods points, when you look at your list of processes, you will see one called "System Idle Process". This may well say its using 99% of your processor time. Dont worry, its supposed to do that. Processors cant simply sit and do nothing, the system idle process keeps the cpu busy while it has nothing else to do.

Sometimes antivirus software that scans in the background can have a serious impact on system performance. Check your settings to ensure that your not permenantly scanning your C drive or your external storage.
 

Mr Happy

LE
Moderator
#6
boney_m said:
Further to Superdoods points, when you look at your list of processes, you will see one called "System Idle Process". This may well say its using 99% of your processor time. Dont worry, its supposed to do that. Processors cant simply sit and do nothing, the system idle process keeps the cpu busy while it has nothing else to do.
Yep, roger that System idle Process actually shows the %age of the processor/s NOT working.

Sometimes antivirus software that scans in the background can have a serious impact on system performance. Check your settings to ensure that your not permenantly scanning your C drive or your external storage.
Did that and I am scanning the entire system once every thirty days so that should be cool. I am constantly using the XP sp2 firewalls etc though - right?
 
#7
The pragmatic solution may be to install a second instance of XP onto your laptop (I presume you don't want uninstall your present set up) and load only enough programmes to watch DVDs and play internet games.
 
#8
It still sounds as though something is running in the background - There is something else you can try first disconnect from the internet - click start then run
type in "msconfig" hit enter
up comes a dialogue box
select startup tab
take note of all selected checkboxes
then unselect all of them then reboot your computer
try your DVD again - if its no different repeat the above and restore your startup progs as before
If it does work then one of the startup progs is the culprit
use trial and error to find the offending prog one by one.
 
#11
Did this happen suddenly after you changed a setting or installed a program etc or did it degrade over time - if it was the former try system restore if it was the latter then use a third party tuning tool to tune up your system
 
#13
JustinThyme said:
The pragmatic solution may be to install a second instance of XP onto your laptop (I presume you don't want uninstall your present set up) and load only enough programmes to watch DVDs and play internet games.
Being a bit thick when it comes to PC probs, would that just be a case of putting the XP disc in and loading. The reason I ask is that I seem to have lost the ability to play music on my CD/DVD. I have a feeling that I have knocked out a file somehow.
 
#14
Rumrunner said:
JustinThyme said:
The pragmatic solution may be to install a second instance of XP onto your laptop (I presume you don't want uninstall your present set up) and load only enough programmes to watch DVDs and play internet games.
Being a bit thick when it comes to PC probs, would that just be a case of putting the XP disc in and loading. The reason I ask is that I seem to have lost the ability to play music on my CD/DVD. I have a feeling that I have knocked out a file somehow.
Have you uninstalled anything lately? If you can see the files on your CD drive load a music CD and double click on the mp3 file or track - if nowt happens you might have lost the associating with the music file type and your music program - this is usually in the registry - You can change the association to the prog by right clicking and "open with" try this first or alternatively a system restore to the day you know it was working may solve it.
 
#15
MSN, virus stuff, gmail, googletalk, festoon, skype, etc etc..
No good just closing them down. Disable there auto start options.

Go to "Start>>All Programs>>Start Up" Delete all the shortcuts.

Empty your temp and temp internert folders. Make sure you are not running more than one AntiVirus, firewall (including the windows firewall) burning software, especialy packet writing app amd anyother processort intencive application.
 
#16
Rumrunner said:
Being a bit thick when it comes to PC probs, would that just be a case of putting the XP disc in and loading. The reason I ask is that I seem to have lost the ability to play music on my CD/DVD. I have a feeling that I have knocked out a file somehow.
Yes. If the setup screen doesn't come on, restart computer, once computer is on wait for 1/2 a second then keeping hitting "del.". You will reach a BIOS configuration screen. Change the boot priority such that the computer will look to the CD drive first before the harddisk.
 

Mr Happy

LE
Moderator
#17
Hi guys, before I answer the below posts I should A) Thank you and B) tell you that I installed ultimatedefrag from the www and this has improved my PC's online game playing from sticking every 5 seconds to sticking every 10....

Superdood said:
Simple press ctl alt delete to get your task manager up

next select processes and click twice on the CPU column

This will show you the most CPU hungry processes currently running and in order of "hungriness"

If the process is running at 100% (check performance tab) then kill it by right clicking then end process ensuring of course it isnt a system process critical to the PC

If unsure what a process does google it to get advice

If this doesnt work let me know
OK, I've done this and there's nothing particularly draining (system idle process at 97%)

JustinThyme said:
The pragmatic solution may be to install a second instance of XP onto your laptop (I presume you don't want uninstall your present set up) and load only enough programmes to watch DVDs and play internet games.
In the same way that some guys run Linux for their normal OS and XP for the specific tasks.. when I got my laptop I split the HD 78gb (C partition) and 2gb (D Partition) - would this prevent a new instance of XP????

Superdood said:
It still sounds as though something is running in the background - There is something else you can try first disconnect from the internet - click start then run
type in "msconfig" hit enter
up comes a dialogue box
select startup tab
take note of all selected checkboxes
then unselect all of them then reboot your computer
try your DVD again - if its no different repeat the above and restore your startup progs as before
If it does work then one of the startup progs is the culprit
use trial and error to find the offending prog one by one.
Firstly, thanks very much for the startup tab.
As suggested I killed all and then restarted and tried a game of BF2, sadly, no real improvement.


Superdood said:
PS tell me the exact spec of your puter
ROCK016021 XTREME CT/XCT-2.26/100GB 7200 2.2
Processor Intel Pentium M 780 2.26GHz
Graphics nVidia GeForce Go 7800 256MB
Hard Disc Drive 100GB 7200rpm PATA
Operating System Windows XP HOME
Optical disc drive 8x DVD Writer Dual Layer
Memory 2GB DDR2 533MHz RAM (Corsair)
Screen WUXGA (1920 by 1200) ROCK Logo
Software Bullguard, Works 8, Office Trial, Roxio


Scabster_Mooch said:
Or try running a program called Hijackthis. It is a utility that helps you analyze what exactly is running on your computer.
somehow HIJACKTHIS doesn't sound like something I want to install in my laptop....

Black_Belt_Bertha said:
Did this happen suddenly after you changed a setting or installed a program etc or did it degrade over time - if it was the former try system restore if it was the latter then use a third party tuning tool to tune up your system
I took a break from playing BF2 (wife, new baby blah blah) and when I came back I was confronted by non-ability to play online First players. Re tuning tool - any recommendations?

RAF_Nurse! said:
Check to see whether any anti-virus software is not running its scheduled scan at the same time!? (Tres CPU demanding!)
Did that, disabled it etc, all seems fine...

Rumrunner said:
JustinThyme said:
The pragmatic solution may be to install a second instance of XP onto your laptop (I presume you don't want uninstall your present set up) and load only enough programmes to watch DVDs and play internet games.
Being a bit thick when it comes to PC probs, would that just be a case of putting the XP disc in and loading. The reason I ask is that I seem to have lost the ability to play music on my CD/DVD. I have a feeling that I have knocked out a file somehow.
By coincidence my laptop no longer recognises the built in video camera - even though the software is there.....

jinxy said:
MSN, virus stuff, gmail, googletalk, festoon, skype, etc etc..
No good just closing them down. Disable there auto start options.

Go to "Start>>All Programs>>Start Up" Delete all the shortcuts.
Yeah, for some reason the auto-start ups for most of those programmes didn't reside there, but superdoods suggestions have worked well.

Empty your temp and temp internert folders. Make sure you are not running more than one AntiVirus, firewall (including the windows firewall) burning software, especialy packet writing app amd anyother processort intencive application.
Pretty sure all that is taken care of....
 
#18
BF2 are you running patch 1.41?

tried a system restore point?

are you running office 2007? utter shite, Clashes with all kinds of games.
 
#20
Not sure if this is related to your problem, as you say thatb you havent recently installed any new software. But I notice that your are runnign Roxio, not sure what version or if its the full suite. But vesion 8 has a media manger with the suite that I have noticed is real hog when it scans for new media. It was set up to do this automatically when I firts installed it, and would fire off whenever I download new music or inserted media CD/DVD's. I stopped the Media Manager from autoloadinf via MSconfig and that has helped a lot.

PS. Not sure that I agree with disabling every single thing in your showing in Startup via MSCONFIG, this could stop a few things working such as Touch pads etc
 

Top