PC Parts Supplier

Can anyone recommend a good on-line parts and peripherals supplier? Dabs Direct doesn't seem to be as competitive as it once was.

Thanks chaps. I'll take a look.

I think that my external data storage drive (made from an old ata drive inside an enclosure) has finally given up the ghost. Luckily everything was backed up.

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
is there any one overall any of you could recommend please in terms of quality of service?

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
perhaps I should say - I'm looking for **one** supplier to get everything for a new build pc in one shot. so no fannying around waiting for bits of deliveries and in the event things have to be returned or swapped out, I just have one company to deal with. so I'm looking for any recommendations in terms of best customer service and support, please. and thank you.

I'd rate ebuyer for service, prices aren't too bad either.

I've built a handful of desktop/tower/servers over the years with their kit

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
Novatech get my vote. Staff have always been really helpful and the only time I had to take something back there was no messing about. instant replacement. it also helps that they have a warehouse/shop just down the road from me

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
thank you all - I bit the bullet and just ordered everything from Amazon in the end - they were a mite cheaper in places than some others and to me, they're a known quantity. got the fun of sticking it all together to come now!

I'm looking at building a PC but haven'ty a clue where to start only really need the computer itself already have a keyboard monitor etc..

I'm looking at building a PC but haven'ty a clue where to start only really need the computer itself already have a keyboard monitor etc..
TBH unless you have a specific requirement that the mainstream won't fulfil, it's cheaper to buy ready made. I see Dell are now selling desktop units for £99.

I built mine because I wanted a media centre with resilient fast disk, shedloads of memory and a decent graphics card

If you're really intent on building then there's plenty of advice/tutorials online or YouTube

I just want something that I can play combat flight simulator on, strategy games and silent hunter 3/4

Newest game I have is probably supreme commander or dawn of war II retribution but being completely honest it's all over my head

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
it's cheaper to buy ready made.

really?? I'm building an i5 4590 here with GTX750ti graphics, ssd and hdd, 8gb of ram to start, and the cheapest I could get the same spec for was at least a third more than what I've spent on parts.

really?? I'm building an i5 4590 here with GTX750ti graphics, ssd and hdd, 8gb of ram to start, and the cheapest I could get the same spec for was at least a third more than what I've spent on parts.
I did say generally, look at the spec of the spec of the £99 Dell and see if you can build it for less

I agree if you want something special then yes building it yourself is cheaper

Yep, I think that you will nearly always pay more if you build your own

People like Dell have the economies of scale, OEM arrangements etc. The downside is that they will always be compromises to help keep the price low; a low spec motherboard, onboard graphics and sound chips, a single internal drive - all that sort of thing.

If you build your own, you will pay more but you can get exactly what you want, without compromises.