PC Padre on Remembrance Parade?

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Bravo_Bravo, Nov 13, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Had our usual parade today, ( C95 dress.. ) and during the local God Botherer in Chiefs' address I noted that he asked us to remember those killed in the firestorms in Coventry.... and Dresden and those incinerated at Hiroshima..."

I managed to restrain myself from yelling Fcuk off you hippy lunatic ( etc ) but I did not feel this was the time or the place to mention the fate of the enemy.

Has anyone else noted this PC trend? Is it just me that takes exception to this?

2. Had this many years ago.Several local units were not attendees the next year having organised an alternative event.
  3. Why not remember them? Despite arguments for and against those actions, there were a lot of innocent people killed unnecersarilly. Would you not remember victims of terrorist bombings either?
  4. How many of the veterans have said that they didn't think of the Germans as "enemy." Without exception, as far as I recall, they described them as just a load of blokes doing exactly the same as themselves but on the opposite side of No Man's Land.

I don't have a problem with honouring the enemy's soldiers (providing that they're acting honourably). The generals and, more so, the politicians deserve less respect, regardless of which side they were on. I'm not going to claim that just because we're British, our politicians must be right.
  5. Opportunity to remember whoever you want. I wouldn't take exception to this as they were just doing as they were told for the most part - Coventry, Dresden and Japan would have all mostly been civvies so why not spare them a thought?

Everyone to their own etc.
  6. All is not lost. In church yesterday we sang 'Onward Christian Soldiers', fantastic, exept I lost it in the second verse and couldn't control my emotions - much wobbling of chin, strange high pitched croaking instead a deep booming voice and tears rolling down the now fleshy jowls.

We then had another couple of cracking hymns so I was all over the shop, not helped by being full to bursting with pride as my daughter was selected as Ensign for the Colour, and led the Brownie troop into church. This rather set the scene - the old boy who gave the Kohima address lost it at the 'and in the morning' stage and set off another dozen or so! Then the village Roll of Honour was read aloud. More of the same followed, peaking when the name of a lad killed in Afganistan by a mine whilst working for the Halo Trust was announced - his family were sitting behind me. Gone are the days of the British Stiff upper lip.
  7. A few years back we had a bit of a multi-faith effort - not entirely surprising for the London borough in which the parade was held. So, alongside Reverend was the Rabbi... and the Imam. Can't remember which year this was - perhaps 2001, post 9-11 but before all the current sh1t. My initial reaction was "hmm... not sure what to make of this" but at the risk of sounding like some hippy tw@t then perhaps a little more inter-faith understanding in the world wouldn't go amiss. Particularly on their side, I must say...
  8. I feel that Remembrance Sunday actually should be devoted only to honoring British, Empire & Commonwealth war dead - that was the specific purpose for which the commemoration was introduced, after all. Given that there is plenty of opportunity for commemoration of other victims of war - eg Hiroshima day, etc - I think the PC brigade should keep their hands off 11 Nov & Remebrance Sunday.

My feelings are in part shaped by the reaction of my elderly relatives: whilst it is true they no longer feel much animosity to enemy soldiers and populations, they certainly did not feel much sympathy either - they felt that both the German and Japanese populations were enthusiastic supporters of their governments' attempts to enslave us, and that they were therefore collectively guilty. I was quite taken aback to find that my mild-mannered Grandparents were still strongly supportive of the incineration of the German and Japanese cities and their inhabitants - but then again our generation has not suffered cataclysmic war, nor lost so many family members to unprovoked aggression (twice in thirty years, at the hands of the Germans).
  9. I personally don't get too worked up about WW2 strategic bombing. At that time it was a viable method of prosecuting the conflict and - whatever 60 years of post operational analysis has demonstrated - was the right thing to do at the time based on the information provided. The modern trend of expecting stressed men fighting a war on limited information to see into the future and act accordingly is unreasonable.

I do not see it as a moral stain on our conduct - strategic bombing was accepted by both sides and used by both sides - remember Guernica, the London Blitz, Coventry, V1 and V2 attacks and so on. We were better at it by the end and consequently killed more of them than they killed of us using such methods. That said, I think we should remember all who died and not use it as an excuse to keep the old hatreds alive. However, I don't feel the need to apologise for winning either.
  10. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

My local Vicar was born in Shanghai and spent the first few years of his life in internment there, and thus has correspondingly robust views on Japan, the Japanese and the wisdom of using atomic bombs against them (in essence, he feels that ten or fifteen more might have really settled the issue). No danger of any PC creeping in there! :D
  11. Happened last year as well, so I wasn't surprised yesterday when he started piping up about communism and how everyone should be rallying towads the christian faith...

I was'nt exactly pleased....as our wreath layer was Sikh.

Fair enough the service is held in a church, but why the politics? This should be an act of remembrance to those who died serving their country, REGARDLESS of their race or religion. This is what pisses me off.

12. msr

msr LE

And your point is....?

13. Just been looking at photos of parade at Werl. Organised by locals. Heavily attended by locals. Sprinkling of ex-soldiers now on local economy. Seemed to go off well - no pictures of any punch ups. My colleague in Werl says they all went down the gasthaus later.
    Don't see why not really. Even if one were very sensitive about 39-45, it was a bloody long time ago and most of the baddies from then are now dead or not enjoying the best of health.
    As to the animosity thing anway, I was 6 when the war started. We had endless propoganda about how they would dress as nuns and parachute in to do nasty things to our females. My grandparents were killed in a V1 thing. I had 2 uncles who were POW. I was at a very impressionable age when the Belsen etc. stories came out and the film shown then was in full detail - bulldozers and mass graves etc. But - although I only once served in BAOR I had no residual bad feelings about the Germans. Sometimes wondered a bit when attending police/KRIPO retirement parties in 1953'ish for blokes who had 30 years service. Was he telling all in his speech of thanks?
  14. I think his point is that it wasn't really necersarry to ask everyone to rally under the Christian faith, when there were people of others faiths showing their respect for those killed in the line of duty.

I really do have to question a lot of the comments going on about Rememberance day, why people are asking why scouts and such forth are taking part...anybody who turns up on Rememberance and Armistice day to honour the war dead is ok by my and free to marry my sister anytime.