PC Mong Help needed

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by roninxix, Jul 18, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. My PC is showing a message at start up that reads "NTDLR is missing Press Ctl-Alt-Del to restart". When I do this the error message comes up again and again. How the hell do I get it to work? Looked on tinterweb but it confuses the hell out of me and mentions BIOS/DOS which seems like a black art to this lad. Any suggestions or do I have to re-format my PC and endure the wrath of the Chief of Domestic Staff and my 2 drains on my resources for erasing all their files.
  2. msr

msr LE

Many times this error is caused when the computer is attempting to boot from a non-bootable floppy disk, CD-ROM or USB stick. First verify that no floppy diskette or CD or USB stick is in the computer.

If you are on Windows XP, then this should solve the problem NTLDR is missing

P.S. Then go an buy an external hard drive for your backups. There are only two types of computer user: those who have lost data and those who are just about to.
  3. I take it the bootable disk it mentions is the Product Recovery CD that I have?

Also if I start this proceedure will I loose everything on the PC? Long Haired CO is going to throw a track.
  4. msr

msr LE

Not if you follow the process precisely. Alternatively you could take it to your local PC repair shop and they will be able to sort it for you. £50 should save a lot of earache.

Just double check there is not a USB memory stick plugge in anywhere.

5. Wish me luck I'm about to cross the start line with the recovery disk
  6. There are 10 types of computer users - those that understand binary and ....... ;-)

If things get really desperate and it seems re-installation is the only way out, it may be worth getting a techie mate to attach your drive to their PC as an extra drive and try and salvage stuff from there.
  7. Its asking me for an administrators password. I don't know it. Any ideas??????
  8. msr

msr LE

Leave it blank and press enter?

Or go here, get the disk and replace it with a blank password: Offline NT Password & Registry Editor

In all honesty, I would wait until tomorrow and take it to your local PC repair shop.

9. If you have another PC you could try putting the HD from the knacked machine in as a slave disk and copying the files over that you want to save before trying any rescue etc etc.... that way you won't lose files and engage the wrath of the domestic staff...

Either way, you must of course ensure that the domestic staff are fully aware that the problem was soley caused by something they foolishly did, be it some crappy file they downloaded, dodgy site they visited on the internet, game played or not shutting it down all proper like.
  10. Diskout, place in another machine as a slave. move important files, then format the bloody thing and reload OS, Programmes etc etc and WRITE THE F'ING PASSWORD DOWN next time :)

Oh and slap OiC domestic staff round the chops with a week old smelly mackeral for being such a tw*t and fekin up the comp in the first place ;)
  11. It only worked! Thank god for that thought I'd be picture - no sound from her all day. No where did I put that removeable harddrive? Thanks for your help MSR
  12. msr

msr LE

13. Donation on route. Thanks again