PC KNACKERED!!!

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by The_Honest_Man, Nov 28, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ok, Can anyone help me? I replaced some memory in my PC and when i switched it back on i could smell burning! Now all i get is No video input on the screen?

2. msr

msr LE

Open the case and sniff the motherboard until you work out what has blown.

msr

3. Ok mate have done, Nothing looks like it has blown!! I have disconnected and reconnected the Monitor cable still nothing! I 'm worried that something major has gone and i may need a new one!!

4. Ho hum. Have you tried putting the old memory back so all is as was before?

Sure you have not dislodged a cable or the graphics card?

Even if it has gone pop your hard drive should be fine so data should be fine.

Failing all this get someone with a more discriminating nose to sniff your motherboard for you.

8O

5. Next time you open up the case touch a metal radiator to earth yourself, it sounds like you may have shorted something out. unplug everything from the mobo except graphics card and see if you can get into bios, if you can then switch off and reconnect everything else.

6. Feckin hell mate i am a 49 yr old RA, That's probably why it's feck'd as i am an IT biff!! ha ha!! But i will try. Which one will the graphics card be?

7. It could be you didn't seat the memory chips in the sockets properly. Do you get any bleeps from the internal speaker when you start up?

8. It will be the one that has the lead going to you monitor, should be fairly long about the same size and dimensions as a 400g bar of chocolate. if you have a very old computer it may be integrated into the mobo, in this case you will need a new pc!!

if you do buy a new pc then look out for intel I7 this is future proof and the fastest processor to date.

9. Ok, Yes get a series of beeps, I will look out for that Intel 17, Yes it is an old PC so may well be integrated to Mobo. Thanks people. Will i be able to get any data stored on the hard drive???

10. Those bleeps are telling you what is wrong. The meaning depends on the number of bleeps and the make of BIOS in the computer.

But the most likely cause is the memory chips not being connected properly.

Pull them out and try again. But they might be fried, in which case put the old ones back in carefully.

11. Ok, Will try that.

12. Adding new memory provided it's the right specification for your PC shouldn't cause a failure (infact replacing memory even out of spec shouldn't cause this to happen, it should just cause BIOS beeps/screen error or nothing at all ). There is a possibility that the new ram you installed got fried for some reason but you'll need to dig deeper. As you are someone that is comfortable with replacing memory then it would seem that you aren't afraid of opening up everything and making a proper diagnosis.

The most likely thing to have died is the power supply unit (PSU) or secondly the ram you installed. Even if the PSU has died it will still supply some power to the motherboard (and other components because different components require a different voltages). Sorry if this is all known to you I don't mean to patronise.

The first thing is to make sure that your data is backed up. If you are happy that everything important to you is stored elsewhere then there is no problem with keeping the hard drive connected. If not then it's best to remove the hard drive and install it in another machine in order to remove the data. Hopefully the hard drive isn't kaput and you can get any needed data off it. Don't risk turning the machine off and on to get it to work because you may do more damage. A machine can be lost because it's only £££, data like finances and childrens photos etc can't be replaced.

Once you are happy that any data is backed up then there are some simple things to do.

If you can post here with the specifications of your PC or the model and make plus the model of the new ram you then this will help with any diagnosis considerably.

The beeps you are hearing are part of the BIOS (basic input output system) because when you press the on button, the machine goes through a series of operations (it tests RAM, CPU, VGA availability etc) before it loads the operating system. The combination of beeps is specific to the motherboard and it's BIOS - the BIOS is saying something is not right (which gives me hope that it may just be a ram or graphics card problem). Once you know what motherboard you have then you will be able to find out what these beeps mean - if your machine or motherboard has a manual then it will tell you what these beeps mean. It's a bit like morse code. Long beeps and short.

The biggest problem for me is the "burny smell". This indicates that something somewhere has "blown". No sh1t sherlock I hear you cry! Usually this type of failure is due to the PSU so it's wise to look there first.

If you are happy with it, I'd recommend disassembling the entire machine, the power supply being the first thing. Smell the vents of the PSU. A metalicl burny smell would indicate that the PSU has died. Look at the other parts; specifically RAM and the metal contacts (compare it with the old ram you were replacing, motherboard and graphics card. Smell them individually and then look for any burn marks and any capacitors that look swollen.

A PSU can die and take out other components, but it may not be the PSU at fault. If you can, try the graphics card, as well as your new and original ram in another machine to see if it works. It's a process of elimination to see what is still functioning. If your graphics card and RAM still function then it points towards PSU or motherboard that has died. If your ram and gfx card are ok then it's time to try another reliable PSU if you can.

Do you have access to a PSU of known good quality that you can use in your machine to see whether it's just the PSU that has died?

Anyway I'll leave it at that for the time being. I hope you have all your data intact and that it's just a minor problem like a dead PSU.

For all those people reading this then there are two reminders.

1) Back up your data.
    2) A high quality PSU is the most important part of any PC. All PSUs die eventually, but if you have a high quality one then the likelihood of it killing your entire system is very low.

When you look at a PSU it is not the number of Watts that counts - you can buy a crap 800W PSU for more money than a high quality 380W PSU which will do a better job. Even if both die it's the better engineered one that won't take out your other components and hence your data. A reputable manufacturer counts.

13. What was your original RAM size and type? (should be a small label on it)

And what have you decided to put in it?

best to check if your mainboard/BIOS can support the amount of RAM you are trying to put in it. SHould be able to tell you in your mainboard manual if you still have it, else with the cover off look at the make model of your mainboard, nip round to a nice neighbour and google it, it should list the specs there of what the max amount of RAM you can put in it.

14. Cheers everyone, I had to replace the PC. The memory fried on insertion and reboot i did not connect it properly!! But have managed to get all my old data from the old hard drive. Many thanks.

Now the problem i have on my laptop is a virus: Something32@max which does my nut in i have run AVG spyware etc and it will not get rid of it anyone have any ideas please.

Thanks All

15. Start up in safe mode

then run AVG for a full scan